Devin D'Angelo • 28 Comments
Jun. 16, 2014, 1:56 PM
- Yandex (YNDX -0.2%) is buying Auto.ru, a Russian auto classifieds site/portal claiming 400K+ unique listings for new and used cars (as well as listings for auto parts), for $175M in cash. The deal is expected to close in Q3.
- Yandex asserts Auto.ru is the top auto classifieds site in Moscow, and top-3 over the whole or Russia. ~40% of monthly users are return visitors.
- The Russian search leader bought geolocation tech developer KitLocate in March.
Mar. 18, 2014, 12:40 PM
- Yandex (YNDX +7.5%) has acquired KitLocate, an Israeli developer of geolocation, location geo-fencing, and motion detection tech that can be used by mobile apps needing precise data about a user's position and movements. Terms are undisclosed.
- Yandex argues KitLocate's solution, which relies on statistical analysis, can improve battery life by lowering a phone's dependence on power-draining GPS/GLONASS receivers. The company plans to integrate KitLocate's offerings with its mobile apps/services, and sees localized search results and targeted ads as two potential applications.
- Yandex is headlining a buy-on-the-news rally among tech stocks with strong Russian/Ukranian exposure, as Vladimir Putin signs a treaty annexing Crimea to Russia. Other gainers: QIWI +7.1%. EPAM +4.9%. LXFT +4%. MBT +3.3%.
Oct. 15, 2013, 9:49 AM
- Yandex (YNDX +0.2%) has acquired KinoPoisk, a site that functions as the Russian equivalent of IMDb. KinoPoisk has 18.6M monthly users (per comScore), making it Russia's 16th-largest Web property. The site is home to 100M reviews, and adds 3M new ones each month. Terms are undisclosed.
- Yandex says it plans to pair KinoPoisk's content with its "search personalization algorithms and machine-learning technology" to create "an extended movie recommendation system tailored to users' preferences and interests."
- The purchase also allow Yandex to further grow its budding display ad business. Display ads only made up 9% of Yandex's Q2 revenue, but sales rose 43% Y/Y.
- Previous: Yandex slips as Rostelcom reportedly plots search engine
Jun. 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Facebook (FB +5.8%) has acquired Face.com, the latter company announces on its blog. Facebook is likely interested in both Face.com's Photo Tagger facial-recognition app, which can be applied to the billions of pictures being uploaded by Facebook users, and its valuable domain name. A May rumor about the acquisition indicated a price tag of $80-$100M. Yandex (YNDX +6.4%), which owns a stake in Face.com, appears to be rallying on the news.| Jun. 18, 2012, 12:48 PM