It Might Be Time To Short Zagg - Again
Michael Carter • 12 Comments
Michael Carter • 12 Comments
Wed, Aug. 17, 11:16 AM
- Soft earnings reports from Target, Lowe's, and Staples are tainting the retail sector today.
- A loose theme among the trio is that they are feeling the impact of general store traffic pressure on one front and under-performing Amazon on the e-commerce side (or Home Depot in the case of Lowe's).
- Notable movers include Office Depot (ODP -7%), Pier 1 Imports (PIR -2.7%), Haverty Furniture (HVT -1.1%), Sears Holdings (SHLD -6.5%), Stage Stores (SSI -3%), Nordstrom (JWN -2.4%), Tilly's (TLYS -0.8%), Zagg (ZAGG -2.7%), Party City (PRTY -1.3%), J.C. Penney (JCP -4.4%), Restoration Hardware (RH -4.1%) Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY -1.9%), Williams-Sonoma (WSM -2.8%), and Kohl's (KSS -2.3%),
- Looking ahead, Wal-Mart (WMT -0.3%) reports earnings tomorrow before the bell. The same-store sales bar is relatively low after the company guided for a 1% gain for U.S. SSS and with the consensus estimate of analysts even lower at +0.9%. Perhaps more important than Q2 numbers will be the comments from Wal-Mart management on the Jet.com integration and the impact of higher base wages.
Thu, Aug. 11, 10:31 AM
- Pokémon Go is on an annual run rate of $1B, according to an estimate from Cowen Research. Nintendo (OTCPK:NTDOY) is well-positioned to benefit from the ongoing phenomenon through its stake in Pokemon Company and publisher Niantic.
- The Pokémon craze was brought up by a variety of companies during their Q2 earnings calls as analysts questioned on the impact of the mobile game on foot traffic, virtual reality potential, mind share, and products/accessories sales.
- JAKK Pacific (NASDAQ:JAKK) earnings call transcript
- Build-A-Bear (NYSE:BBW) earnings call transcript
- Churchill Downs (NASDAQ:CHDN) earnings call transcript
- Cedar Fair (NYSE:FUN) earnings call transcript
- ZAGG (NASDAQ:ZAGG) earnings call transcript
- Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) earnings call transcript
Fri, Aug. 5, 9:36 AM
- NPD Group reports portable power pack sales were up 101% Y/Y for a two-week period in July following the introduction of Pokémon Go.
- Whether or not the sales pace sustains is still to be determined, but brands like Duracell (BRK.A, BRK.B), Dynex (owned by (NYSE:BBY)), Insignia (also BBY), Zagg (NASDAQ:ZAGG), Mophie (owned by Zagg) and Energizer (NYSE:ENR) are likely to see a boost to July sales.
Wed, Aug. 3, 9:15 AM
- Gainers: SZMK +45%. KOOL +43%. INVT +26%. GNW +23%. ZAGG +14%. OCLR +12%. FIT +9%. BOFI +8%. ING +8%. TRXC +8%. ETP +7%. FCAU +6%. ETSY +6%. ZTS +6%.
- Losers: RUBI -29%. DRWI -20%. CRAY -20%. VGZ -19%. KATE -18%. CYH -17%. CROX -17%. ELGX -11%. FTAI -9%. QRVO -8%. SHIP -6%. COH -6%. RGC -6%. HBI -6%. KORS -6%. INO -5%.
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:41 PM
Tue, Aug. 2, 4:04 PM
Mon, Aug. 1, 5:35 PM
- ACLS, AFG, AGII, AIG, AMED, AMSG, AR, ARC, AVD, BEAT, BECN, BGFV, BPI, BRKR, CALD, CALX, CAR, CENT, CERN, CHEF, CHUY, CLI, CLUB, CRAY, CSU, CXO, CZR, DEI, DVN, DXCM, EA, ELGX, ENLK, ENPH, ESE, ESIO, EXAM, FANG, FARO, FGL, FISV, FIT, FMC, FMI, FNGN, FORM, FTAI, FTV, FUEL, GHDX, GLUU, GNW, GUID, HBI, HCI, HIW, HRZN, INN, JIVE, KAR, KFRC, LOCK, LQ, MATX, MDU, MOD, MRC, MRCY, MXWL, NBR, NEWR, NFX, NOVT, NPO, NYMT, OCLR, OESX, OHI, OKE, OKS, OMI, ORA, PAA, PAGP, PAYC, PBPB, PLT, PRMW, PRO, PZZA, QRVO, QUOT, REXX, RGR, RIGL, RLOC, RPAI, RPXC, RUBI, SF, SGY, SLCA, SM, STAG, SUPN, SYRG, TMH, TNAV, TPC, TRQ, TRUP, TSRA, TX, VNOM, VRSK, VTAE, WMGI, WR, WTR, XXIA, Y, ZAGG, ZEN
Thu, Jul. 21, 9:15 AM
Wed, Jun. 8, 1:27 PM
- ZAGG (ZAGG) announced that its dollar share in Cellphone Screen Protection has reached a three-year high of 51% in the U.S. for April 2016.
- “Recent changes in wireless provider contract terms have driven a consumer need to preserve a phone’s condition to maximize trade in value. As a result, we are seeing increasing consumer awareness and desire to purchase screen protection,” said Brian Stech, ZAGG’s EVP of Global Sales and Marketing.
- ZAGG is +0.193% to $5.2
- Press Release
Thu, May 19, 3:09 PM
Mon, May 16, 12:51 PM
Tue, May 10, 4:23 PM
Mon, May 9, 5:35 PM
- AG, ALB, ALRM, AMBC, AMRS, ATSG, BUFF, CALL, CGIX, CHMI, CJES, CSLT, CYTX, DGLY, DIS, DXPE, EA, ECPG, ENSG, ESIO, EVRI, EXAM, FF, FIVN, FNGN, FOGO, FOR, FOSL, FTEK, FUEL, GALE, HCKT, HLIT, HLTH, ICUI, IPAR, JAZZ, JIVE, KEYW, KGC, LDRH, MTSC, NEWR, NUAN, PLNT, PSEC, PVCT, QNST, QTM, RBCN, RELY, REXX, RMTI, RTK, SCSC, TDOC, VTAE, XON, XONE, ZAGG, ZFGN, ZGNX, ZLTQ
Tue, Mar. 8, 5:46 PM
Tue, Mar. 8, 5:11 PM
- ZAGG is down 12.5% after hours to $9.14 after missing Q4 estimates and reporting net income fell by $8M Y/Y to $5M. The mobile accessory maker saw screen protector sales rise Y/Y, but was hurt by weak tablet keyboard demand, lower audio product sales (blamed on "reduced product placement at a key customer"), and lower portable power sales.
- Zagg has used its Q4 report to announce the closing of its $100M+ purchase of fellow accessory maker Mophie, and to issue guidance for the combined company. With Mophie revenue included from March 3 onwards, Zagg expects 2016 revenue of $442M-$460M and adjusted EBITDA of $60M-$65M. Notably, gross margin is expected to be in the low-to-mid 30s (less than Zagg's 2015 GM of 38%).
- For the whole of 2016, Zagg proper is expected to produce revenue of $285M-$305M (+6%-13% Y/Y) and adjusted EBITDA of $44M-$47M. Mophie is expected to produce revenue of $210M-$230M (+3%-13% Y/Y) and adjusted EBITDA of $20M-$22M.
- Gross margin fell to 37% in Q4 from 39% a year earlier. GAAP operating expenses rose by $1.5M to $21M. $14.9M was spent to repurchase 2M shares over the whole of 2015 at an average price of $7.32.
- Zagg's Q4 results, earnings release
Tue, Mar. 8, 4:05 PM
- Zagg (NASDAQ:ZAGG): Q4 EPS of $0.18 misses by $0.06.
- Revenue of $78.6M (-23.3% Y/Y) misses by $4.34M.