Jun. 23, 2014, 4:14 PM
- Abbott Labs (ABT -0.3%) signs an agreement to acquire Russian pharmaceutical manufacturer Veropharm via purchasing Limited Liability Company Garden Hills, a holding company that owns a controlling interest in Veropharm. The purchase price range is 13.6B - 17B rubles (US$395M - 495M) depending on the size of Garden Hills' stake at the time of closing. Abbott will also assume net debt of 4.7B rubles (US$136M). The transaction will be funded with cash on the balance sheet and will close in Q4.
- The acquisition establishes a manufacturing presence for Abbott in Russia and enables it to obtain a portfolio of products in women's health, CNS, cardiovascular, gastroenterology and oncology.
Jun. 13, 2014, 10:21 AM
Jun. 9, 2014, 4:46 PM
- Cepheid (CPHD +1.6%) hires Peter Farrell as Vice President of International Commercial Operations (ICO). Mr. Farrell joins the company from Abbott Laboratories (ABT +0.2%) Diagnostics Division where he was Divisional VP and GM.
- Philippe Jacon, formerly the VP of ICO assumes the role of President of the High Burden Developing Country (HBDC) program replacing Paul Steuperaert who transitions to developing the business in sub-Saharan Africa until his retirement in 2015.
May. 22, 2014, 7:27 AM
- The FDA approves the Immucor Precise Type Human Erythrocyte Antigen (HEA) Molecular BeadChip Test. It is the first molecular assay used in transfusion medicine to assist in determining blood compatibility, specifically donor and patient non-ABO/non-RhD (non-ABO) red blood cell types.
- The test works by detecting genes the govern the exprssion of 36 antigens that can appear on the surface of red blood cells. It uses thousands of coded beads that bind with the genes coding for non-ABO red blood cell antigens present in the sample. A light signal is generated from each bead that captures a specific gene. System software decodes the light signals to report which antigens are predicted to be present.
- Related tickers: (ABT) (RHHBY)
May. 16, 2014, 7:54 AM
- Abbott Labs (ABT) doubles its Latin American presence with its purchase of Chilean generic drug firm CFR Pharma for $2.9B cash plus assumption of $430M in debt.
- The acquisition will add $900M to Abbott's top line in 2015 and double-digit sales growth over the next few years.
- CFR markets over 1,000 products. It employs 7,000 people and has R&D and manufacturing facilities in Chile, Colombia, Peru and Argentina.
- The Latin American pharmaceutical market is valued at $73B and is forecasted to grow to $124B in four years.
May. 8, 2014, 9:01 AM
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT) signs on to develop a companion diagnostic test for Idera Pharmaceuticals' (IDRA) cancer drug IMO-8400. Idera will use it in its clinical development programs to treat certain genetically defined forms of B-cell lymphoma.
- The test will be based on polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to identify the MYD88 L265P oncogenic mutation in tumor biopsy samples. The mutation appears in ~90% of patients with Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia and ~30% in patients with the ABC (ABCZF) sub-type of diffuse B-cell lymphoma. It plays a key role in activating the Toll-like receptor pathways targeted by IMO-8400.
May. 2, 2014, 4:13 PM
Apr. 16, 2014, 9:02 AM
- Overall operational sales for Q1 grew 0.5% for Abbott Laboratories (ABT) to ~$5.2B. Diagnostics and Medical Devices grew 5.1% and 0.3%, respectively, while Nutrition fell 1.7% and Pharmaceuticals fell 0.7%.
- International operations continue to deliver higher growth rates than domestic ops.
- Ex-U.S. business delivered ~72% of global sales.
- In the Nutrition segment, Adult International grew 12.4% versus growth in the U.S. of 5.2%. Pediatric fell in both markets.
- Diagnostics grew in all segments and markets led by Molecular's 12.6% and POC's 10% increase internationally.
- Pharmaceutical sales in key emerging markets (led by BRIC) were almost flat with a slight 0.2% gain.
- International Device sales grew 4.7%.
- Management confirms its 2014 EPS guidance range of $2.16 - $2.26 ex items.
- GAAP EPS range for the fiscal year is $1.13 - $1.23.
- Press release
Apr. 16, 2014, 7:47 AM| Comment!
Apr. 16, 2014, 12:05 AM
Apr. 15, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 28, 2014, 12:53 PM
- Abbott Labs' (ABT +0.2%) Supera Peripheral Stent System gets a thumbs up from the FDA. The product is approved for the treatment of people with blocked blood vessels in the upper leg caused by peripheral artery disease.
- Abbott gained access to the stent via its acquisition of IDEV Technologies last August.
Feb. 21, 2014, 12:13 PM
Jan. 22, 2014, 8:16 AM
- Abbott Labs (ABT -0.3%) net profit -44% to $589M.
- Sales breakdown: Nutrition -0.8% to $1.7B; Diagnostics +5.9% to $1.2B; Established Pharmaceuticals -4.3% to $1.29B; Medical Devices +2% to $1.43B.
- Plans to increase share repurchases in 2014 to over $2B.
- Abbott expects 2014 adjusted EPS of $2.16-2.26, "representing double-digit growth at the mid-point of the guidance range;" consensus is for $2.21.
- The company also expects to take $1.03 in special items, including a tax expense associated with a projected one-time repatriation of 2014 ex-U.S. earnings. (PR)
Jan. 22, 2014, 7:49 AM| Comment!
Jan. 22, 2014, 12:05 AM
ABT vs. ETF Alternatives
Abbott Laboratories discovers, develops, manufactures and sells health care products. Its products include branded generic pharmaceuticals manufactured internationally, marketed and sold outside the United States.
Other News & PR