Wed, Jul. 29, 4:42 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 5:35 PM
- ACGL, AEGN, AEL, AEM, AFFX, ALGT, ANIK, AR, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, ASH, ATW, BANC, BAX, BKCC, BLKB, BXP, CAVM, CBL, CEMP, CGI, CHDN, CHMT, CLD, CMO, CMPR, CNO, CNW, CROX, CSGP, CW, CWT, CXO, DDR, DOX, DRE, DYAX, EHTH, ELY, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXR, FARO, FB, FBP, FICO, FISV, FMI, FNF, FOE, FORM, FORR, HLS, HOLX, HOS, HY, IPCM, ISIL, IXYS, KEG, KEX, KGC, KRA, KRG, KS, LNC, LOCK, LPSN, LRCX, MAA, MANT, MAR, MC, MCK, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MMLP, MTGE, MTW, MUR, NBIX, NE, NOW, NSIT, NTRI, NXPI, O, OGS, OI, ORLY, OTEX, PDM, PEGA, PEIX, PPC, PSA, PTC, PVA, QGEN, QUIK, RKUS, ROG, RRTS, SBAC, SCI, SCTY, SFLY, SGMO, SKX, SPRT, SSNC, SSS, STAA, SU, TAL, TER, THG, THRM, THRX, TILE, TTEK, UNM, VAR, VGR, VNDA, VRTX, WDC, WES, WFM, WGP, WLL, WMB, WMGI, WSTL, WTS, WYNN
Wed, Jul. 1, 3:47 PM
- "The management teams of virtually every large property-casualty company will be having a conversation today about whether they should be more active acquirers,” says Sandler O'Neill's Paul Newsome.
- Before sellers get too excited, they should note the price Ace is paying for Chubb is just 1.7x book value - a discount to what high-quality insurance businesses typically sell for. "“I probably need to reassess what I’m holding out for because I’m never going to get that big price-to-book multiple now," says Newsome. "If a much-vaunted, well-regarded shop gets 1.7x book value, what should the mid-cap company that lacks scale and is kind of struggling get?”
- Possible buyers would include AIG, Allstate, and Travelers. With each having less than a $15B market cap, maybe on the block: W.R. Berkley (WRB +5.2%), Arch Capital (ACGL +2.7%), XL Group (XL +2%), and Cincinnati Financial (CINF +4.5%). Sporting just an $18B market cap and thus also maybe a target is Hartford Financial (HIG +6%).
- "There is now literally no deal that cannot be contemplated in P&C," says Citi's Todd Bault.
- Source: Bloomberg
- Previously: Ace builds more scale with Chubb purchase (July 1)
- Previously: P&C stocks on the move after Chubb sale (July 1)
- Previously: ACE buying Chubb in cash and stock deal for $28.3B (July 1)
Tue, Apr. 28, 4:19 PM
Mon, Apr. 27, 5:35 PM
- ACGL, ACHC, AEGN, AFL, AHGP, AKAM, AMCC, ANIK, ARI, ARLP, AUY, AZPN, BGFV, BLDP, BMR, BOOM, BWLD, BXMT, CALX, CBL, CEB, CGI, CHE, CINF, CLF, CMRE, CNL, CRUS, DDR, DHT, EEFT, EIX, EPIQ, EPR, EQR, ESRT, ESRX, EXAC, FARO, FEIC, GNW, GPRE, GPRO, HAWK, HELE, HIW, HLIT, HURN, IACI, INAP, IPHI, KALU, KBR, KRFT, LOGM, MRCY, MSTR, MTSI, MWA, NANO, NATI, NCR, NVDQ, OHI, OI, OTEX, PEI, PNRA, RNG, RPXC, RRC, RSYS, SKT, SLCA, SWI, TAHO, TE, TPX, TSS, TWTR, ULTI, VRSK, WDC, WRI, WSH, WYNN, X, XCO, XOOM
Wed, Apr. 1, 9:51 AM
- Started at Outperform are ACE Limited (ACE -0.6%), Arthur J. Gallagher (AJG -0.9%), Chubb (CB -0.6%), Marsh * McLennan (MMC -0.5%), and XL Group (XL -0.3%).
- Initiated at Neutral: Arch Capital (ACGL -0.3%), Progressive (PGR -0.9%), Travelers (TRV -1.1%), and Willis Group (WSH -0.8%).
- Started at Underperform: Aon Plc (AON -0.7%) and W.R. Berkley (WRB -0.7%).
Tue, Feb. 10, 4:15 PM
Mon, Feb. 9, 5:35 PM
Mon, Jan. 26, 12:25 PM
- Lack of scale has never been the problem at Axis Capital (AXS +5.4%), say Citigroup's Todd Bault and James Kaklick. The current issue is low demand, they say, and a merger with PartnerRe (PRE +1%) won't solve that.
- Noting the merger is being done at "no premium" (presumably to book value), the two say this deal and others in the industry are acts of necessity, rather than strategic opportunities. "The pressure to cut even more costs will be enormous given the lack of significant deal premiums."
- The team reiterates its Sell rating and $46 price target on Axis.
- More on the terms: PartnerRe owners will receive 2.18 shares in the combined company for each share they own, and Axis shares will convert on a one-to-one basis.
- A check of others in the industry: ACE Limited (ACE +0.1%), XL Group (XL +0.4%), Everest Re (RE +0.7%), RenaissanceRe (RNR +0.9%), Aspen Insurance (AHL +0.9%), Arch Capital (ACGL +0.2%), Reinsurance Group of America (RGA -0.6%), Montpelier Re (MRH +0.3%), Unum Group (UNM +0.1%).
- Previously: Axis Capital to merge with PartnerRe (Jan. 26)
Wed, Jan. 14, 10:00 AM
- Upgraded to Outperform from Neutral are Arch Capital Group (ACGL +0.4%), Endurance Specialty Holdings (ENH -0.5%), and Cna Financial (CNA +0.3%). Boosted to Neutral from Underperform is Progressive Corp. (PGR -0.5%).
- Downgraded: ACE Limited (ACE -1.7%), Argo Group (AGII -1.6%), Axis Capital (AXS -1.1%), Navigators Group (NAVG -2%), Allstate (ALL -1.2%), Travelers (TRV -0.6%), and W.R. Berkley (WRB -1.8%).
Fri, Jan. 2, 8:03 AM
- Relentless rate reductions, low investment returns, and the continued influx of alternative capital face reinsurers at the Jan. 1 renewal season, according to the latest 1st View Renewals report from Willis Re (NYSE:WSH).
- Given this backdrop, says Willis, the long-expected pickup in M&A activity is now reality.
- Chairman Peter Hearn: "Many reinsurers recognize they can no longer hope for salvation through major market losses or increasing interest rates. Their only sustainable course of action is to change their business models, portfolio mixes and to strive for scale."
- Interested parties: ACE, XL, PRE, RE, RNR, AHL, ENH, AXS, ACGL, RGA, MRH, UNM, PTP.
Dec. 10, 2014, 7:37 AM
- "Best -in-class insurer with substantial growth opportunity in mortgage insurance," says JPMorgan's Sarah DeWitt, starting Arch Capital Group (NASDAQ:ACGL) at Overweight.
- Arch Capital was upgraded to Outperform at BMO yesterday and upgraded to Buy at BAML last week.
- Previously: Chubb started at Underweight at JPMorgan (Dec. 10, 2014)
Dec. 2, 2014, 10:20 AM
- Analyst Jay Cohen know he's got an aggressive price target of $64, but he sees four factors making the valuation seem more reasonable: 1) Value in the mortgage insurance business 2) A growing earnings stream in Watford Re 3) Excess capital 4) ROE is understated since Arch Capital (ACGL +0.5%) does not include alternative investment income in operating earnings.
Oct. 29, 2014, 4:24 PM
Oct. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACGL, ACHC, ACMP, AEGN, AEM, AFOP, AHL, AIZ, AKAM, ALDW, ALL, ANIK, ARAY, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, ATML, AUY, AXS, BGC, BIDU, BLKB, BMR, CACI, CALX, CAR, CATM, CAVM, CBG, CBL, CEMP, CENX, CHDN, CJES, CLD, CLUB, CMO, CNW, CRL, CRUS, CSGP, CSII, CUZ, CW, CWT, DAC, DRE, DRIV, DWA, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXL, EXR, FBHS, FFIV, FISH, FLEX, FLTX, FMC, FNF, FORM, FORR, FR, GLUU, HBI, HOS, HT, IPI, IRG, ISIL, JDSU, KEX, KRFT, KS, LGCY, LNC, LOCK, LOPE, MAA, MANT, MASI, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MOBL, MTGE, MUR, NCLH, NE, NEU, NEWP, NSIT, OII, PDM, PEIX, PGTI, PPC, PRXL, PSMI, PVA, QGEN, QTM, QUIK, RFMD, RGR, RJF, RNG, RRC, RRTS, RST, SCI, SFLY, SGI, SIMO, SLCA, SPN, SPRT, SSNC, SSS, STR, SU, TEX, TFSL, TGB, TGI, THG, TRLA, TTMI, TTWO, UNM, V, VECO, VGR, VPRT, VR, WLL, WMB, WPZ, WSTL, WTW
Sep. 9, 2014, 11:59 AM
- "Fierce competition, over-capacity and low returns continue to put pressure on the industry," says Moody's, reinforcing its negative outlook on the global reinsurer sector (first changed to negative in June).
- There are positive developments though, particularly a slowing in price declines. Moody's previously believed a 15-20% drop in cat prices next year a "distinct possibility," but says such a severe scenario has become less likely.
- One reason for the slowing price decline, says Moody's, is non-traditional competitors like insurance linked securities (ILS) are having a tough year and have less scope to cut pricing.
- Among the reinsurers: ACE, XL, PRE, RE, RNR, AHL, ENH. AXS, ACGL, RGA, MRH, UNM, OTCPK:SSREY, GLRE, TPRE.
ACGL vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR