Mon, May 11, 3:04 PM
- Screening for the 10 S&P 500 companies which cut their float by the most in 2014, Wallace Witkowski finds just half have seen their stock prices outperform the average over past two years. Six out of ten saw an improvement in adjusted EPS; five out of ten an improvement in EPS.
- ADT Corp. (NYSE:ADT) reduced its share count by 18% - the most in the group - and has seen its stock price fall 16% over the last two years. Next is Cameron International (NYSE:CAM), which cut its float by 16% and saw its stock decline 19%. Mosaic (NYSE:MOS) has bought back 12% of its stock, but is down 30%.
- Success stories include CF Industries (NYSE:CF), cutting stock outstanding by 14% and posting a 62% gain in price. Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR) has bought back 10% of the float and is sporting a 57% gain.
- All ten of the companies increased their debt load alongside the buybacks.
- ETFs: PKW, SYLD, FYLD, IPKW, SPYB
Wed, Apr. 29, 7:05 AM
Tue, Apr. 28, 5:30 PM
- ABB, ACCO, ADT, AME, AMED, ANTM, AVY, BC, BEN, BGCP, BOKF, CBG, CCJ, CFR, CRI, CVE, DHX, DX, DXYN, EDR, ETN, EVER, EXC, FCAU, FCH, FDML, FI, FUN, GD, GEL, GIB, GRMN, GRUB, GT, HCBK, HERO, HES, HLT, HOT, HUM, ICON, IDCC, IP, ISSI, LFUS, LINE, LL, LVLT, MA, MDLZ, MTOR, MWV, NEE, NOC, NSC, NYCB, OCR, PCG, PX, Q, RES, ROL, SAIA, SAVE, SLAB, SLGN, SNCR, SO, SPIL, SPR, SPW, TRI, TWX, UMC, VRX, WEX, WM, WOOF
Mon, Mar. 23, 2:34 PM
- Shares of ADT (ADT +3.8%) trade higher on strong volume to extend a multi-day rally and etch out a new 52-week high.
- There's been some market chatter on the company partnering with Apple on a home security product.
- The company is also coming off a strong FQ1 when it improved on many financial metrics.
Tue, Mar. 17, 4:11 PM
Wed, Jan. 28, 7:06 AM
Tue, Jan. 27, 5:30 PM| 1 Comment
Thu, Jan. 8, 4:34 PM
Nov. 12, 2014, 7:06 AM
Nov. 11, 2014, 5:30 PM
Sep. 19, 2014, 4:35 PM
Sep. 6, 2014, 8:43 AM
- The "total" yield of a company combines the dividend yield and the buyback yield - that is the yield boost from reducing the total amount of shares outstanding. Together with S&P's Howard Silverblatt, Barron's puts together a list of the top 20 companies in the S&P 500 based on "total" yield.
- While buybacks don't guarantee a strong stock - witness consistent buyback champs like IBM and Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) - Warren Buffett goes to bed at night praying for IBM's share price to go down so the company can buy back more stock for a given dollar amount (though The Oracle has said he doesn't expect this logic to win many fans).
- The flip-side are those companies - financials and energy come to mind - who tend to buy back stock at high prices only to find themselves forced to reissue it at lower prices when times get tough. A consistent plan helps, and Travelers (NYSE:TRV), under CEO Jay Fishman, has been maybe the best example of this - halving the share count since the end of 2006.
- ETFs? The Powershares Buyback Achievers Portfolio (NYSEARCA:PKW) gained 45.6% in 2013, 1,300 basis points better than the S&P 500. Since inception in 2006, it's up an annualized 9%, more than 200 basis points better than the S&P. A newcomer - the Cambria Shareholder Yield ETF (NYSEARCA:SYLD) - has beaten the S&P by about 250 basis points since its May 2013 inception.
- The list (ranked in order of "total" yield): ADT, CAM, CF, MOS, MPC, VIAB, GLW, ITW, STX, IBM, NOC, CTL, TRV, VRSN, IR, CCE, KSS, NTAP, HES, DO.
Jul. 30, 2014, 9:09 AM
Jul. 30, 2014, 7:07 AM
Jul. 29, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AB, ACCO, ADT, AMED, AMT, ATRO, AUO, BAH, BDC, BEN, CFR, CVE, D, DHX, DORM, DX, ENR, EVER, GIB, GRMN, GT, HAE, HES, HSP, HUM, HUN, IACI, ICLR, INGR, LFUS, LL, LO, LPLA, MGAM, MINI, MMYT, MRGE, MWV, NICE, NVMI, PAG, PBI, PEG, PSX, PSXP, PTRY, ROK, RRD, S, SAIA, SEE, SGNT, SMP, SO, SODA, SONS, SPB, SPW, TASR, TFX, TRI, VLO, VLY, WEC, WLP
Jul. 18, 2014, 4:33 PM
ADT vs. ETF Alternatives
The ADT Corpis engaged in providing monitored security, interactive home and business automation and related monitoring services in the United States and Canada.Its products & services include home and business solutions, and home health services.
Other News & PR