Wed, Aug. 12, 7:49 PM
- Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) is considering bringing in partners and selling "prudent measures” of stock to help finance projects, CFO David Smith says.
- While Smith says an equity issuance could be an option, the 23% drop in the company’s stock over the past year leaves share sales as a less-preferred option.
- The CFO says AEM does not plan to close any mines since they are generating operating profit, he does not expect “drastic” cost-cutting at the operational level, and the Amaruq and Meliadine mines in northern Canada and its El Barqueno project in Mexico are the company's top priorities.
Wed, Aug. 12, 11:29 AM
- China’s currency devaluation is welcome news for gold stocks such as Newmont Mining (NEM +5.2%), Agnico Eagle Mines (AEM +8.1%), Coeur Mining (CDE +13.9%) and Gold Resource (GORO +2.5%), Sterne Agee CRT analysts say.
- China's move should help gold and silver prices through risk-off investor diversification and heightened investment attention, especially from Chinese investors looking to protect purchasing power, and fragile global economic growth prospects highlighted by China’s struggles could delay any meaningful U.S. rate increases, the firm says.
- With investor sentiment still skeptical, the supportive macro news flow could provide fuel for a rally in gold mining equities, the firm says, preferring Buy-rated NEM, AEM, CDE and GORO; Barrick Gold (ABX +3.9%) is rated Neutral.
Wed, Jul. 29, 5:54 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 5:35 PM
- ACGL, AEGN, AEL, AEM, AFFX, ALGT, ANIK, AR, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, ASH, ATW, BANC, BAX, BKCC, BLKB, BXP, CAVM, CBL, CEMP, CGI, CHDN, CHMT, CLD, CMO, CMPR, CNO, CNW, CROX, CSGP, CW, CWT, CXO, DDR, DOX, DRE, DYAX, EHTH, ELY, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXR, FARO, FB, FBP, FICO, FISV, FMI, FNF, FOE, FORM, FORR, HLS, HOLX, HOS, HY, IPCM, ISIL, IXYS, KEG, KEX, KGC, KRA, KRG, KS, LNC, LOCK, LPSN, LRCX, MAA, MANT, MAR, MC, MCK, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MMLP, MTGE, MTW, MUR, NBIX, NE, NOW, NSIT, NTRI, NXPI, O, OGS, OI, ORLY, OTEX, PDM, PEGA, PEIX, PPC, PSA, PTC, PVA, QGEN, QUIK, RKUS, ROG, RRTS, SBAC, SCI, SCTY, SFLY, SGMO, SKX, SPRT, SSNC, SSS, STAA, SU, TAL, TER, THG, THRM, THRX, TILE, TTEK, UNM, VAR, VGR, VNDA, VRTX, WDC, WES, WFM, WGP, WLL, WMB, WMGI, WSTL, WTS, WYNN
Mon, Jul. 20, 10:39 AM
- Several gold miner stocks strike new 52-week lows in early trading, as gold prices plunge below $1,100/oz. overnight and adding pressure to a sector that already faces razor-thin margins.
- Investors have turned sharply negative on gold as the U.S. dollar rises ahead of a likely rise in interest rates, and a report out of China shows lower than expected holdings of the metal.
- While most senior gold miners can generate decent margins at $1,100 gold, many small and mid-tier producers are underwater at the price, and some of the seniors are struggling with heavy debt.
- Hitting new 52-week lows today: ABX -9.3%, GG -7.7%, GFI -10.7%, KGC -9.4%, AGI -6.6%, AU -9.7%, SBGL -7.8%, BTG -9.3%, EGO -2.9%, NGD -8%, AUY -8.8%, RGLD -8.2%, FNV -6.8%, SLW -5%.
- Also lower: NEM -9.4%, AEM -7.9%, NG -7%, GOLD -4.8%, IAG -5.1%, HL -5.4%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GDXJ, GGN, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, SILJ, RING, JUNR, PSAU, TGLDX, GDJJ, GDXS, GDXX, GDJS
Mon, Jul. 20, 9:14 AM
Fri, Jul. 17, 2:58 PM
- Barrick Gold (ABX -4.9%) sinks to 24-year lows in Toronto trading, leading a rout among bullion miners as the yellow metal extends its selloff to five-year lows.
- ABX is under particular pressure, as the fall in gold casts doubt on the company’s strategy of shedding assets to pay down its $12.9B debt, as it "becomes harder and harder to sell those assets at any kind of reasonable value if metal prices are unwinding," Macquarie analyst Ron Stewart says.
- ABX reportedly is nearing a deal to sell its Zaldivar copper mine in Chile, and is looking for buyers for its 50% stake in its Kalgoorlie mine, among other properties.
- NEM -2.6%, GG -5.7%, GFI -1.1%, KGC -5.2%, AEM -5.1%, NG -2.2%, AGI -6.6%, AU -5.7%, GOLD -2.5%, SBGL -4.2%, BTG -6.4%, IAG -7.6%, EGO -7.6%, HL -3.5%, NGD -8.4%, AUY -2.9%, RGLD -2.9%, FNV -3.6%, SLW -3.3%.
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, GGN, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SGDM, ASA, SLVP, RING, PSAU, TGLDX, GDXS, GDXX
Tue, Jun. 16, 6:19 AM
- Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) rated new Market Perform, price-target $35.
- Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) rated new Market Perform, price-target $3.75.
- Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) rated new Outperform, price-target $22.
- Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) rated new Outperform, price-target $16.
- Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC) rated new Market Perform, price-target $2.75.
- Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) rated new Market Perform, price-target C$6.00.
Thu, Apr. 30, 5:07 PM
Wed, Apr. 29, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ADNC, ADUS, AEM, AIG, AIV, ARAY, ATHN, ATR, AVD, AXTI, BCOR, BCOV, BMRN, BRKS, BYD, CALD, CAP, CATM, CEMP, CENX, CLD, CLMS, CMLS, COLM, CPSI, CPT, CTCT, CTRL, CUBE, DCT, DGI, DWA, EEP, EGO, ELLI, EMN, EPAY, EVHC, EXEL, EXPE, EZPW, FBHS, FEYE, FLR, FLS, FLT, FRGI, FSLR, G, GB, GILD, HABT, HCI, HLS, HME, HTCH, IART, IMMR, INT, ISBC, JDSU, KRG, LEG, LLNW, LNKD, LNT, LRE, LYV, MITK, MOBL, MRC, MRH, MXL, NFG, NKTR, NR, NTRI, OMCL, PCCC, PDFS, PKI, PODD, POL, PSA, PXLW, QLGC, RGC, RKUS, ROVI, SEM, SGEN, SKYW, SPF, SPN, SPWR, SWKS, SYNC, TER, THG, TMST, TNAV, TNDM, TRMB, TS, TSRO, TSYS, TUES, TXTR, UIL, V, VR, WU, WWWW, YRCW
Tue, Apr. 14, 6:57 PM
- The merger of equals between Alamos Gold (NYSE:AGI) and AuRico Gold (NYSE:AUQ) makes no sense for AGI shareholders, as the deal "effectively rescues" AUQ from its balance sheet troubles and provides AGI no premium in exchange, says TD Securities analyst Steven Green.
- The deal's enterprise value of $392 for AGI vs. AUQ's EV of a bit more than $1B means the merger undervalues AGI, Green says in downgrading AGI to Hold from Buy and cuts his stock price target to $9 from $11.
- The deal effectively puts both miners into M&A play, Green says, speculating that Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM), Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC) and Iamgold (NYSE:IAG) could be interested in AGI.
Fri, Apr. 10, 4:58 PM
- Credit Suisse sees potential for a near-term rally in gold prices, and expects copper prices to do well this year.
- The firm upgrades First Quantum Minerals (OTCPK:FQVLF) to Outperform from Neutral on positive copper and stock re-rating catalysts in H2 2015, and likes HudBay Minerals (NYSE:HBM) and Tahoe Resources (NYSE:TAHO); it downgrades Teck Resources (NYSE:TCK) to Neutral from Outperform based on a weaker outlook for coking coal and valuation.
- Among gold miners, CS prefers Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) for its lower cost assets, operational consistency, strong free cash flow and organic exploration and growth opportunities, and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) for its growth and relatively strong balance sheet; Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Detour Gold (OTCPK:DRGDF) provide leverage to a gold price rally.
Fri, Mar. 20, 9:19 AM
- Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) names former Barrick Gold CFO Ammar Al-Joundi as its new president, grooming him as a potential CEO.
- Al-Joundi had been AEM's CFO for about two years until June 2012 when he joined ABX; prior to joining AEM in Sept. 2010, he spent 11 years at ABX in various senior financial positions.
Wed, Feb. 18, 3:59 PM
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM +2%) is upgraded to Overweight from Neutral with a $41 price target, up from $38, at J.P. Morgan, which says it has the right assets and an experienced management team for the tricky gold market.
- The firm notes that AEM’s operations in Canada, Mexico and Finland shield its costs from the strong U.S. dollar, while its sizable portfolio of underground mines provides the flexibility to adjust to moves in the price of gold.
- JPM likes AEM's portfolio of longer lived assets and running list of projects that should not only replace production from maturing mines but could enhance the miner's production profile beyond 2017.
Wed, Feb. 11, 5:08 PM
Tue, Feb. 10, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ACHC, AEM, AMAT, AMBR, AUY, BIDU, CAKE, CJES, CPA, CRAY, CSCO, CSOD, CTL, CVA, CXW, CYS, DDR, DIOD, EFC, EFX, EXL, FET, FEYE, FORR, GAS, HIVE, HNI, HOS, IO, ITRI, LPSN, MET, NSIT, NTAP, NTWK, NU, NVDA, OII, PNRA, PPC, QDEL, REG, SCSS, SKX, SLF, SPRT, STMP, SWM, TAL, TCX, TRIP, TSLA, TSO, TTGT, WFM, ZEN, ZU
AEM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR