Thu, May 7, 6:05 AM
Thu, May 7, 6:05 AM
Tue, Apr. 28, 10:11 AM
- Alamos Gold (AGI +2.9%) says a Turkish court has dismissed the injunction order that had been granted against the environmental impact assessment for the company’s Agi Dagi gold project, meaning the Turkish Ministry of Environment’s approval of the EIA has been "returned to good standing.”
- AGI says it is looking forward to resuming work on the project.
Mon, Apr. 27, 6:45 PM
- Gold surged above $1,200/oz. today in its best day since January, as U.S. June gold futures settled up 2.4% to $1,203.20/oz. in its best percentage jump since Jan. 15, amid reports Friday that Venezuela's central bank had converted 1.4M oz. of its gold reserves into at least $1B in cash through a swap with Citibank.
- "That was a huge potential seller taken out of the market. It's not an overhang anymore," Dennis Gartman said of the Venezuela deal.
- Other gold watchers say the bigger factor driving prices was the expiration of May options and short covering; an increase of 13K shorts in the market is a positive since those traders could be forced to buy gold when they cover, says Kevin Grady of Phoenix Futures and Options.
- ETFs: GLD, IAU, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, GLDI, OUNZ, DGL, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR
- Miners finished mostly higher: NEM +2.4%, ABX +2.2%, AU +2.6%, GOLD -0.4%, GFI +5.3%, GG +0.9%, SBGL +3%, NGD +3.1%, EGO +1.7%, AUY +1.8%, KGC flat, IAG +4.2%, BTG +1.9%, HL +1.9%, RGLD -0.8%, FNV +0.8%, AGI +1.3%, AUQ +2.3%.
Fri, Apr. 24, 6:50 PM
- In another day of broad losses among in precious metals miners, Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) enjoyed a 6.5% surge following strong Q1 results that included impressive cost reductions in gold and copper production.
- J.P. Morgan analysts especially liked the strong first quarter at Batu Hijau and Yanacocha and the deferral of some capex that allowed NEM to generate $344M in free cash flows and pay down $200M in debt; the firm says full-year guidance could be raised if cost reductions can be maintained in Q2.
- Otherwise, it was not a good day for mining equities, following another drop in gold futures which tumbled to their lowest level in more than a month.
- NEM CEO Gary Goldberg expects gold prices to gain ~25% to $1,500/oz. by 2020 on rising demand from China and a weaker dollar; for now, Goldberg says the strong U.S. dollar is “definitely having an adverse effect” on gold prices, and he expects the dollar will “eventually come back off of its highs in the next couple of years."
- In today's trade: ABX -0.9%, AU -4.2%, GG -2.6%, SBGL -7.7%, GOLD -2%, AUY -2.5%, NGD -1.9%, GFI -4.4%, SLW -1%, PAAS -1.6%, EGO -4.1%, RGLD -2.7%, FNV -2.1%, KGC -0.4%, IAG -1.4%, BTG -1.9%, HL -1.9%, AGI -1.6%, AUQ -3.1%.
Wed, Apr. 22, 6:36 PM
- Gold tumbled today to its sharpest single session loss in more than six weeks, after the strong U.S. existing home sales report that raised expectations for a Fed interest rate hike in June.
- U.S. gold futures for June delivery fell $16.20 (-1.4%) to settle at $1,186.90/oz., while silver fell 1.3% to $15.77.
- Among precious metals miners today: ABX -3.4%, AU -4%, GG -2.8%, SBGL -6.8%, GOLD -1.5%, AUY -3.7%, NG -1.9%, GFI -5%, SLW -2.1%, PAAS -3.5%, NEM -3.1%, EGO -1.4%, RGLD -2.1%, FNV -3.4%, KGC -1.7%, IAG -4.1%, BTG -2.5%, HL -3.8%, AGI -5.4%, AUQ -4.4%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, IAU, AGQ, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, SGDM, DSLV, OUNZ, SLVP, DGL, DBS, DGZ, RING, DGLD, AGOL, PSAU, USV, TBAR, GEUR, UBG, GYEN, BAR, GDXX
Tue, Apr. 21, 4:32 PM
Tue, Apr. 14, 6:57 PM
- The merger of equals between Alamos Gold (NYSE:AGI) and AuRico Gold (NYSE:AUQ) makes no sense for AGI shareholders, as the deal "effectively rescues" AUQ from its balance sheet troubles and provides AGI no premium in exchange, says TD Securities analyst Steven Green.
- The deal's enterprise value of $392 for AGI vs. AUQ's EV of a bit more than $1B means the merger undervalues AGI, Green says in downgrading AGI to Hold from Buy and cuts his stock price target to $9 from $11.
- The deal effectively puts both miners into M&A play, Green says, speculating that Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM), Kinross Gold (NYSE:KGC) and Iamgold (NYSE:IAG) could be interested in AGI.
Mon, Apr. 13, 8:34 AM
- In a merger of equals, current owners of Canada's Alamos Gold (NYSE:AGI) and AuRico Gold (NYSE:AUQ) will each own roughly 50% of the new company - named Alamos Gold - whose value will be about $1.5B. The new company's board will have five directors from each firm.
- Also part of the deal, the new company will spin off some assets, including AuRico's Kemess project in B.C.
- A conference call is just underway.
- Surce: Press Release
Wed, Apr. 8, 5:46 PM
- McEwen Mining (NYSE:MUX) fell 5.6% in today's trade after yesterday's news that 900 kg of gold-bearing concentrate containing 7K oz. of gold - ~$8.4M in potential revenue - was stolen from its refinery in Mexico's Sinaloa state.
- Armed robberies of significant quantities of gold are not common, but operators in northern Mexico have been targeted in the past as the region is associated with cartels and gangs.
- The robbery raises concerns about other companies with exposure in northern Mexico, which include AGI, AUQ, CDE, PPP and TGD; among those with operations nearby are GG, PAAS, GPL, OTCPK:FNLPF and OTCQX:SMNPF.
Fri, Mar. 6, 2:42 PM
- Precious metals miners are bludgeoned as April Comex gold tumbles 2.7% to $1,164.30/oz. for its lowest settlement of the year so far.
- The culprit was the upbeat February jobs report, which sparked fears that the improving economy will prompt the Fed to hike interest rates sooner rather than later.
- ABX -6%, GG -6.6%, NEM -7.9%, AU -6.1%, AUY -6.6%, KGC -7.8%, SLW -3.4%, GOLD -5.4%, EGO -5%, GFI -7.9%, HL -10.4%, RGLD -8.6%, FNV -3.2%, NG -4.3%, SBGL -6.4%, PAAS -4.3%,BTG -6.5%, IAG -6.2%, AUQ -5.6%, AGI -2.8%.
- Precious metals ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, OUNZ, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, WITE, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, BARS, RGRP, BLNG
- Precious metals mining ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, SLVP, RING, SGDM, PSAU, GDXX
Thu, Feb. 19, 6:02 AM
Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM| 7 Comments
Thu, Jan. 22, 8:58 AM
- Alamos Gold (NYSE:AGI) says its Mulatos mine produced 42.5K oz. of gold in Q4, while selling 38.4K oz. for quarterly revenues of $46.1M vs. $58M consensus and 14% lower than the year-ago quarter.
- FY 2014 production totals 140.5K oz.; total cash costs for the full year are not final but AGI expects a result within the guidance range of $700-$740/oz. of gold sold.
- Expects to produce 150K-170K oz. of gold in 2015 at all-in sustaining costs of ~$1,100/oz.; AGI says higher 2015 production reflects a full year of high grade mill production from the San Carlos underground deposit.
- Meanwhile, Desjardins downgrades shares to Hold from Buy, citing a weak financial outlook for 2015.
Thu, Jan. 15, 12:35 PM
- Gold, silver, platinum and palladium are spiking today on Switzerland's surprise move to abandon its currency floor, and shares of the miners are following suit: GDX +6.1%.
- "Gold is much stronger as the 'safety' of the Swiss Franc vanishes,” commented Dave Lutz of JonesTrading.
- Peter Boockvar believes that in "a world of currency battles with printing presses that are extraordinarily large... gold will be the last man standing... the gold bear market is over and will go substantially higher from here."
- Against a backdrop of concerns about global growth, deflation and renewed volatility, gold has been climbing since November as other growth-sensitive commodities such as oil and copper have sold off.
- Among precious metals miners: BTG +9.5%, GG +8.9%, KGC +8.7%, NEM +8.3%, AUY +8.1%, EGO +7.4%, AGI +7%, ABX +6.2%, NG +5.9%, AUQ +5.6%, FNV +5.5%, RGLD +5.4%, IAG +4.8%, GFI +4.2%, HL +4.2%, SLW +3.1%.
- Other ETFs: NUGT, GDXJ, DUST, SIL, JNUG, GLDX, JDST, SLVP, SILJ, RING, SGDM, PLTM, PSAU
Thu, Jan. 8, 5:35 PM
AGI vs. ETF Alternatives
Alamos Gold Inc is engaged in the exploration, mine development and extraction of precious metals. It owns and operates the Mulatos mine and holds the mineral rights to the Salamandra group of concessions in the State of Sonora, Mexico.
Other News & PR