Mon, Jul. 28, 7:07 AM| Comment!
Sun, Jul. 27, 5:30 PM
Fri, May. 16, 5:03 AM
- The White House is considering forcing power plants to cut carbon emissions by 25% over a 15-year period, Bloomberg reports.
- The problem is that owners can only cut so much of a facility's emissions by increasing efficiency, so a lot of the reduction could have to come by "going outside the fence," such as by deepening the use of renewable energy, improving grid efficiency and encouraging customers to use less electricity.
- Trying to compel operators to rely on such external measures could run afoul of what the government is allowed to do under the Clean Air Act.
- ETFs: KOL, XLU, IDU, VPU, RYU, PUI, UPW, FXU, SDP, PSCU, FUTY, UTLT
- Coal Tickers: PCXCQ, BTU, WLT, CNX, ACI, ANR, JRCC, YZC, ARLP, AHGP, NRP, PVR, PVG, PVA, OXF, CLD, WLB, RNO
- Utilities: ED, POM, PEG, FE, NST, UTL, ETR, EXC, D, NU, PCG, DUK
Mon, Apr. 28, 7:04 AM| Comment!
Sun, Apr. 27, 5:30 PM
Tue, Jan. 28, 7:08 AM| Comment!
Tue, Jan. 28, 12:05 AM
Mon, Jan. 27, 5:30 PM
Dec. 10, 2013, 6:50 PM
- Supreme Court justices today expressed sympathy for the EPA’s approach to air pollution that crosses state lines.
- The rule that would curb emissions from coal-fired power plants in 28 states - struck down by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and being tested by power companies, states and miners - has never taken effect, but it would force companies to either shutter old plants or invest billions of dollars in pollution-control technology.
- The court’s four Democrat appointees, at times joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Kennedy, suggested the EPA had adhered to the language of the Clean Air Act; only Justice Scalia seemed convinced the rule could be unfair to some states.
- ETFs: KOL, XLU, IDU, VPU, RYU, PUI, UPW, FXU, SDP, PSCU, FUTY, UTLT.
- Coal names: PCXCQ, BTU, WLT, CNX, ACI, ANR, JRCC, YZC, ARLP, AHGP, NRP, PVR, PVG, PVA, OXF, CLD, WLB, RNO.
Oct. 28, 2013, 7:08 AM| Comment!
Jul. 26, 2013, 7:20 AM
Jun. 25, 2013, 2:59 PMCoal stocks (KOL +0.7%) enjoy a bit of a short-covering rally as Pres. Obama's climate change speech displays a similar stance toward the industry as has been heard in prior speeches, but gains don't make up for yesterday's big losses. WLT +7.1%, ACI +4%, PVR +2.8%, YZC +1.8%, PVG +2.4%, PVA +1.9%, RNO +1.6%, ANR +1.4%, AHGP +1.4%, ARLP +1.4%, BTU +1.2%. | 9 Comments
May. 2, 2013, 2:58 PM
Apr. 26, 2013, 7:15 AM
Feb. 12, 2013, 11:37 AMAmong the moves made by Tom Gayner in Markel's (MKL) portfolio in the last quarter (13F): A near-doubling in the Calamos Asset Management (CLMS) stake, and big bumps in a couple of resource plays - Alliance Holdings (AHGP) and Alpha Natural (ANR). Gayner also doubled the firm's holdings of Nike (NKE), and tripled (pre-S&P lawsuit) the stake in Moody's (MCO). | Comment!
Jan. 29, 2013, 7:59 AM
Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.
AHGP vs. ETF Alternatives
Alliance Holdings GP, L.P. is a producer and marketer of coal to U.S. utilities and industrial users. The Company's ARLP Partnership operates ten underground mining complexes in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia.
Other News & PR