Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Tue, May 12, 3:19 AM
- Dutch food retailer Royal Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY) and Belgium's Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) have confirmed they are in talks about a possible $25B merger that could also create one of the largest supermarket operators across the Atlantic.
- Despite being based in Europe, both companies generate about 60% of their sales in the U.S.
- Ahold operates the Stop & Shop and Giant chains, as well as online grocery store Peapod, while Delhaize operates the Food Lion and Hannaford banners.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports (May. 11 2015)
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Mon, May 11, 6:20 AM
- Royal Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY) and Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) surged in early European trading after weekend reports that the Dutch and Belgian retailers are in talks to merge, a deal that would pool U.S. chains Stop & Shop and Food Lion.
- Delhaize soared as much as 18%, valuing the company at €8.8B ($9.8B), while Ahold advanced as much as 10% for a valuation of €17B.
- Talks between the companies are at a preliminary stage, Belgian newspapers De Tijd and L'Echo reported on Saturday.
Aug. 18, 2014, 8:25 AM| Comment!
Mar. 4, 2013, 1:07 PM
Feb. 22, 2013, 7:29 AM
Aug. 23, 2012, 8:22 AM
Jun. 7, 2010, 10:21 AMGrass-roots opposition to Wal-Mart (WMT) stores are often secretly funded by giant supermarket companies including Supervalu (SVU), Safeway (SWY) and Ahold (AHONY.PK), according to a WSJ report. The companies hire a consultant specializing in using political campaign tactics to build support against Wal-Mart developments. | 3 Comments
AHONY vs. ETF Alternatives
Ahold is an international food retailing group based in the Netherlands, operating leading supermarket companies in Europe and the United States. Ahold's supermarkets are powerful local brands with a strong focus on the customer, offering great value, a convenient and innovative shopping... More
Other News & PR