Tue, Mar. 24, 3:54 PM
- Buyback-happy U.S. firms are prohibited from repurchasing shares from about five weeks prior to releasing quarterly earnings to about 48 hours after those reports. These blackout periods, says Goldman, may offer an especially tasty time for investors to pick up shares of their favorites.
- "High valuations in the absence of corporate demand may weigh on stock prices," says Goldman's Amanda Sneider, and particular areas of focus are tech, consumer discretionary, and financials - they've accounted for more than 50% of buyback activity.
- Goldman's buyback blackout theme buys: SanDisk (NASDAQ:SNDK), Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO), Travelers (NYSE:TRV), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR), Xerox (NYSE:XRX), Torchmark (NYSE:TMK), F5 Networks (NASDAQ:FFIV), Citrix Systems (NASDAQ:CTXS), Aon (NYSE:AON), Moody's (NYSE:MCO), VeriSign (NASDAQ:VRSN), Hartford Financial (NYSE:HIG), Ameriprise (NYSE:AMP), Corning (NYSE:GLW), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Seagate Technology (NASDAQ:STX), Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB), Legg Mason (NYSE:LM), XL Group (NYSE:XL), DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV), Allstate (NYSE:ALL), Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA), CBS (NYSE:CBS), Macy's (NYSE:M), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS).
Wed, Feb. 4, 5:02 PM
Tue, Feb. 3, 5:35 PM
- ACXM, ADEP, AFFX, AFOP, ALL, APU, ATML, AWH, BDN, BGC, BKD, BMR, CATM, CBG, CDNS, CEB, CINF, CLW, CMRE, CNW, DATA, ENS, EPM, ESS, EXAR, FBHS, FEIC, FMC, FORM, FOXA, G, GEOS, GIL, GLUU, GMCR, GPRE, HI, HUBG, ININ, IRBT, LCI, LNC, MAA, MAC, MTGE, MTRX, MUSA, NE, NXPI, ORLY, OSUR, PAA, PAGP, PMT, PNNT, PRE, PRU, PSEC, QUIK, RE, RRTS, RXN, SPB, SU, SYA, THG, TTMI, TWO, TYL, UA, UGI, UHAL, WFT, WGL, WSTL, YUM
Wed, Jan. 14, 10:00 AM
- Upgraded to Outperform from Neutral are Arch Capital Group (ACGL +0.4%), Endurance Specialty Holdings (ENH -0.5%), and Cna Financial (CNA +0.3%). Boosted to Neutral from Underperform is Progressive Corp. (PGR -0.5%).
- Downgraded: ACE Limited (ACE -1.7%), Argo Group (AGII -1.6%), Axis Capital (AXS -1.1%), Navigators Group (NAVG -2%), Allstate (ALL -1.2%), Travelers (TRV -0.6%), and W.R. Berkley (WRB -1.8%).
Nov. 18, 2014, 12:00 PM
Oct. 29, 2014, 6:52 PM
- Operating income of $598M, $1.39/share
- Revenue up 5.7% y/y to $8.94B
- Book value per share of $48.28 from $43.49 in 3Q13
- Operating return on equity 13.0%
- Repurchased 3.6% of outstanding shares in 3Q14
- Conference call tomorrow at 9 ET. Webcast here.
- ALL No trades AH
- Previously: Allstate beats by $0.06, beats on revenue
Oct. 29, 2014, 4:08 PM
Oct. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABX, ACGL, ACHC, ACMP, AEGN, AEM, AFOP, AHL, AIZ, AKAM, ALDW, ALL, ANIK, ARAY, ARII, ARRS, ASGN, ATML, AUY, AXS, BGC, BIDU, BLKB, BMR, CACI, CALX, CAR, CATM, CAVM, CBG, CBL, CEMP, CENX, CHDN, CJES, CLD, CLUB, CMO, CNW, CRL, CRUS, CSGP, CSII, CUZ, CW, CWT, DAC, DRE, DRIV, DWA, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXL, EXR, FBHS, FFIV, FISH, FLEX, FLTX, FMC, FNF, FORM, FORR, FR, GLUU, HBI, HOS, HT, IPI, IRG, ISIL, JDSU, KEX, KRFT, KS, LGCY, LNC, LOCK, LOPE, MAA, MANT, MASI, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MOBL, MTGE, MUR, NCLH, NE, NEU, NEWP, NSIT, OII, PDM, PEIX, PGTI, PPC, PRXL, PSMI, PVA, QGEN, QTM, QUIK, RFMD, RGR, RJF, RNG, RRC, RRTS, RST, SCI, SFLY, SGI, SIMO, SLCA, SPN, SPRT, SSNC, SSS, STR, SU, TEX, TFSL, TGB, TGI, THG, TRLA, TTMI, TTWO, UNM, V, VECO, VGR, VPRT, VR, WLL, WMB, WPZ, WSTL, WTW
Oct. 14, 2014, 11:41 AM
- Institutional investors more and more are balking at the fees charged by alternative investment managers like private-equity firms, and looking instead to begin making direct investments.
- To that end, Russ Mayerfeld joins Allstate (ALL +1.1%) as a senior managing director, overseeing about $10B of the insurer's investments, including private equity. He'll report to CIO Judith Greffin.
- Peter Keehn will continue lead Allstate's global private-equity investing group, managing a portfolio of about $3B.
- Source: Press Release
Jul. 31, 2014, 3:16 PM
- Q2 operating income of $445 of $1.01 per share vs. $529M and $1.12 one year ago (higher catastrophe losses this year). Book value per share excluding impact of gains/losses on fixed income holdings of $44.13 per share vs. $38.47.
- Underlying combined ratio (excludes catastrophes) of 84.7% improves from 86.9%. Catastrophe losses of $936M up from $647M.
- Net investment income slipped 8.7%, with annualized portfolio yield of 4.7% in Q2.
- Capital: Repaid $300M of 6.2% senior notes during quarter and issued $250M of 6.25% preferred stock. Buybacks totaled $142M, and the $2.5B share repurchase program is 40% complete as of end of Q.
- Previously: Allstate beats by $0.33, beats on revenue
- ALL +3.5%
Jul. 30, 2014, 4:12 PM
Jul. 29, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABX, AEL, AEM, AKAM, ALB, ALL, ALLE, AMC, ANIK, ARII, ASGN, ATEN, ATW, AUY, AVG, BALT, BGC, BMRN, CATM, CAVM, CBT, CENX, CHDN, CJES, CLUB, CMO, CNL, CNW, CODE, COHR, CTRP, CW, CWT, DDR, DRE, DRIV, EGN, EHTH, ELGX, ENTR, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXL, EXR, FBHS, FEIC, FISH, FMC, FNF, FOE, FORM, FORR, GLUU, HIG, HK, HOLX, HOS, HR, HTH, INT, IPI, ISIL, KBR, KEX, KGC, KRFT, KS, LGCY, LNC, LOCK, LPSN, LRCX, MAA, MANT, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MOBL, MOH, MTGE, MTW, MUR, NANO, NE, NEWP, NOW, OI, OTEX, PDM, PEIX, PGTI, PPC, PVA, QUIK, RKUS, ROVI, RRTS, SAM, SBRA, SCI, SFLY, SIMG, SPN, SPRT, SSS, STAA, STAG, STMP, STR, SU, SZYM, TCO, TGB, TGI, TS, TSO, TTEK, TTMI, TWTC, UNM, VGR, VPRT, WDC, WFM, WLL, WMB, WPZ, WSTL, WTW, YELP
Jul. 29, 2014, 10:17 AM| Comment!
Jul. 22, 2014, 9:55 AM
Jun. 19, 2014, 9:14 AM
- Estimated May losses of $440M pre-tax ($286M after) for Allstate (ALL) come from 11 events costing $400M plus unfavorable reserve re-estimates of prior period cat losses. Combined losses for April and May foot to $720M pre-tax ($468M after).
- One year ago, April and May combined for $539M of pre-tax losses ($350M after).
- Source: Press release
May. 20, 2014, 9:35 AM
ALL vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR