Mar. 6, 2014, 9:22 AM
- Alnylam Pharamaceuticals (ALNY) finalizes its buy of Merck's (MRK) Sirna Therapeutics that was previously disclosed on January 12.
- The total purchase price is $175M ($25M cash and $150M in ALNY common stock).
- The transaction represents a significant haircut for Merck considering the $1.1B cash price it paid for Sirna in 2006.
Jan. 13, 2014, 3:29 AM
- Sanofi (SNY) has agreed to acquire a 12% holding in Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY) for $700M in a deal that will also deepen the companies' co-operation in the development of therapies for rare genetic diseases.
- Sanofi is paying $80 a share for the stake, a 21% premium to Alnylam's closing price of $66.21 on Friday.
- Sanofi and Alnylam will expand their partnership involving Patisiran, a development-stage treatment for a rare life-threatening nervous-system disease called transthyretin-familial amyloid polyneuropathy. Sanofi will sell Patisiran in all markets outside North America and Western Europe, adding to its rights in Japan and Asia-Pacific.
- Sanofi will gain the rights to develop and market three other drugs as well, and an option on all of Alnylam's drugs for rare genetic diseases.
- The deal comes after Sanofi suffered a patent cliff in which it lost IP protection on nine drugs in three years. (PR)
ALNY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR