Thu, Apr. 23, 9:42 AM
- Q1 operating earnings of $412M up 1% from a year ago. Operating EPS of $2.18 up 7%. Operating ROE up 230 basis points to a record 23.1%.
- Earnings took a hit from a $32M, or $0.11 per share long-term care reserve boost vs. a $29M reserve reduction one year ago.
- Previously: Ameriprise Financial misses by $0.15, misses on revenue (April 22)
- AMP -3.4%
Wed, Apr. 22, 4:09 PM| Comment!
Tue, Apr. 21, 5:35 PM| 5 Comments
Wed, Apr. 15, 9:51 AM
- RCS Capital (RCAP -6.7%) and LPL Financial (LPLA -3.5%) are having a rough morning after the DOL proposed rules forcing brokers to act as fiduciaries when providing advice on retirement funds in things like 401(k)s and IRAs.
- Regulators believe investors will save $40B over ten years as a number of conflicts of interest are eliminated.
- Calling the proposal a "manageable outcome" compared to some possible scenarios, Citigroup calls the news "exceptionally bullish" for RCAP, and favorable for LPLA and Ameriprise (AMP +0.4%).
Tue, Mar. 24, 3:54 PM
- Buyback-happy U.S. firms are prohibited from repurchasing shares from about five weeks prior to releasing quarterly earnings to about 48 hours after those reports. These blackout periods, says Goldman, may offer an especially tasty time for investors to pick up shares of their favorites.
- "High valuations in the absence of corporate demand may weigh on stock prices," says Goldman's Amanda Sneider, and particular areas of focus are tech, consumer discretionary, and financials - they've accounted for more than 50% of buyback activity.
- Goldman's buyback blackout theme buys: SanDisk (NASDAQ:SNDK), Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO), Travelers (NYSE:TRV), Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Juniper Networks (NYSE:JNPR), Xerox (NYSE:XRX), Torchmark (NYSE:TMK), F5 Networks (NASDAQ:FFIV), Citrix Systems (NASDAQ:CTXS), Aon (NYSE:AON), Moody's (NYSE:MCO), VeriSign (NASDAQ:VRSN), Hartford Financial (NYSE:HIG), Ameriprise (NYSE:AMP), Corning (NYSE:GLW), Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), Seagate Technology (NASDAQ:STX), Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB), Legg Mason (NYSE:LM), XL Group (NYSE:XL), DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV), Allstate (NYSE:ALL), Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA), CBS (NYSE:CBS), Macy's (NYSE:M), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS).
Mon, Mar. 23, 3:24 PM
- The Barron's 400 has regularly beaten the S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) since its 2007 launch, writes Chris Dieterich, and also powers the Barron's 400 ETF (NYSEARCA:BFOR), which has topped the S&P 500 by nearly 500 basis points since starting in June 2013. BFOR is up 6% YTD, more than double that of the S&P 500.
- Among those added to the index during last week's twice-yearly rebalancing were Celgene (NASDAQ:CELG), American Airlines (NASDAQ:AAL), Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX), and Ameriprise Financial (NYSE:AMP).
- Among those dropped were McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), Wells Fargo (NYSE:WFC), Verizon (NYSE:VZ), and IBM.
- A "ruthless" quantitative security-selection method screens for growth, value, and cash flow, and filters further with other factors such as diversification.
Wed, Jan. 28, 4:38 PM
Wed, Jan. 28, 4:08 PM| Comment!
Tue, Jan. 27, 5:35 PM| 4 Comments
Oct. 28, 2014, 5:44 PM
Oct. 28, 2014, 4:54 PM
- Q3 operating earnings of $407M or $2.10 per share up 21% and 28%, respectively, from a year ago.
- $442M of capital returned through dividends and buybacks in Q3, bringing YTD total to $1.4B. Share count of 193.7M vs. 205.1M a year ago. Operating ROE now north of 22%.
- Total AUM up 8% during Q3 to $797B, driven by both appreciation and inflows.
- Advice & Wealth Management pretax operating earnings of $205M up 35% Y/Y, with retail client assets of $434B up 11%.
- Asset Management pretax operating earnings of $208M up 21% Y/Y. Adjusted pretax operating margin of 41.3% vs. 38.7%.
- Annuities Segment pretax operating earnings of $128M are down 38% Y/Y, but not necessarily comparable due to unlocking and market impact on DAC and DSIC.
- Previously: Ameriprise Financial beats by $0.14, beats on revenue
- AMP flat AH
Oct. 28, 2014, 4:11 PM| Comment!
Oct. 27, 2014, 5:35 PM
- AEC, AFG, AFL, AJG, AMCC, AMP, APC, ARI, AZPN, BGFV, BLDP, BOOM, BXP, CAP, CBT, CEB, CHMT, CHRW, CINF, CRAY, DLR, DNB, DYAX, EA, EIX, EPR, EQR, ESRX, EXP, EXTR, FARO, FB, FEIC, FISV, GFIG, GILD, GPRE, HIW, HLIT, HTA, HTS, HURN, INAP, INVN, IPHI, KEYW, KIM, KONA, MAC, MAR, MCK, MRCY, MWA, NANO, NFX, OI, PEI, PLT, PNRA, PSMT, RJET, ROG, RPXC, SKT, SM, SWI, TQNT, TRN, TSS, UDR, ULTI, USNA, VRSK, VRTX, WDC, WES, WGP, WNC, WSH, WTS, WYNN, X, XCO, XOOM, ZLTQ
Oct. 20, 2014, 2:53 PM
- Analysts Joshua Shanker and Phil Stefano still don't love the company, noting a bloated expense structure, high reliance on positive capital markets trends, and a high-profile trial alleging AIG didn't act in shareholder interest when it accepted a government bailout, but the stock has declined enough of late to make it a bargain even with those negatives.
- "The financial engineering at the company currently makes up for the shortcomings in its operational performance," they say. "We believe that has been true for the last three years, and will continue to be true for the foreseeable future." Should the operational issues get resolved, look out above.
- The duo also remind that AIG isn't the only insurance stock taking a beating of late, and Ameriprise FInancial (AMP +0.6%), MetLife (MET +0.5%), and Prudential (PRU -0.4%) have taken even bigger hits. Exposure to 10-year interest rates is the reason, they expect, pointing to P&C insurers which haven't fallen nearly as far.
- Previously: Deutsche buys the dip in AIG
Aug. 11, 2014, 10:38 AM
- Alongside its upgrade of struggling Genworth and CNO Financial, Morgan Stanley downgrades a couple of better-performing names, cutting Reinsurance Group of America (RGA +0.1%) to Underweight from Equal Weight, and Ameriprise FInancial (AMP +1.1%) to Equal Weight from Overweight.
- Previously: Morgan Stanley upgrades two struggling financial names
Jul. 29, 2014, 6:19 PM
AMP vs. ETF Alternatives
Ameriprise Financial Inc through its subsidiaries is engaged in providing financial planning, products and services as solutions for its clients' cash and liquidity, asset accumulation, income, protection and estate and wealth transfer needs.
Other News & PR