Wed, Jan. 21, 6:22 PM
- After dropping 6.5% today to new lows, American Superconductor (NASDAQ:AMSC) is down 19% over the last two trading days. Shares fell as low as $0.58 before bouncing a little.
- The smart grid/wind turbine component maker's market cap is down to $53M, not counting dilution related to the company's November stock/warrant sale. With cash flow concerns still running high, shares go for less than 0.5x an FY16 (ends March '16) revenue consensus of $111.9M.
- Cowen provided bullish coverage last month.
- Update: In an 8-K filed after today's close, AMSC says it has been warned by the Nasdaq it's not in compliance with its $1 minimum bid requirement. The company has until July 13 to regain compliance. AMSC also says its Austrian unit has reached a settlement with insurance firm Catlin regarding reimbursement for an $11M arbitration award AMSC was ordered to pay ex-licensee Ghodawat Energy.
Dec. 22, 2014, 10:04 AM
- With shares having lost ~3/4 of their value over the last two years, Cowen's Jeffrey Osborne has launched coverage on American Superconductor (NASDAQ:AMSC) with an Outperform rating and $1.25 target.
- Though admitting AMSC has seen "a large drop in its core customer base and broader revenue potential" in recent years, Osborne is pleased with the company's efforts to grow its offerings for Indian/Chinese wind manufacturers, and to go after superconductor wire opportunities in both the smart grid and industrial markets.
- Osborne: "We like [AMSC's] current positioning for potential upside in wind market dynamics and adoption of smart grid technologies, especially given its product diversification and recent trimming and refining of its workforce and overhead."
Dec. 1, 2014, 2:24 PM
- Ultracapacitor vendor Maxwell (MXWL -7.8%) and smart grid/wind turbine component vendor American Superconductor (AMSC -6.5%) are among the slew of tech names seeing 5%+ declines today. AMSC has made fresh 52-week lows.
- The declines come amid a major rout in energy and solar stocks following OPEC's Thursday decision to keep oil production unchanged.
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:03 PM| 2 Comments
Nov. 7, 2014, 10:12 AM
- American Superconductor (AMSC -1.1%) is selling 9.1M "common stock units" to an unnamed investor. Each unit consists of one share sporting a $1.10 offering price, and 0.9 warrants (good from the date of issuance to Nov. 2019) to buy shares at $1.10. Net proceeds are expected to total $9M.
- AMSC had $38.2M in cash at the end of September (down $4.6M Q/Q), and $9.3M in notes payable. The company had free cash flow of -$13.5M in FY14 (ended March '14), and is expected to post losses in FY15 and FY16.
- The company's beaten-down shares rose yesterday after AMSC posted an FQ2 beat and offered soft guidance. The wind turbine/smart grid component maker expects FQ3 revenue of $18M-$20M and EPS above -$0.13 (consensus is at $24.1M and -$0.10), and FY15 revenue of $65M-$75M (consensus is at $76.9M).
Nov. 6, 2014, 8:10 AM| Comment!
Nov. 5, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAON, AAP, AAWW, AEE, AES, AINV, AKRX, AMCX, AMRC, AMSC, AOL, APA, AZN, BBG, BCE, BCRX, BDBD, BKCC, BR, CDW, CECE, CECO, CNK, CNQ, COTY, CPN, CRZO, CVC, CYNI, DNOW, DTV, ERJ, FSYS, FUN, FUR, GEO, GLP, GNRC, GOLD, HAIN, HII, HNR, HSC, HSIC, HSP, HZNP, IT, KATE, KERX, KLIC, LIN, LMIA, LPI, MITL, MPEL, MWIV, NAVB, NRF, NTWK, NXTM, ONE, OWW, PBH, PDCE, PERI, PHMD, PKD, PMC, PNK, POZN, PRFT, PRGO, PRIM, PTCT, RDNT, RGEN, SATS, SCMP, SFUN, SFY, SGM, SLH, SNI, SNMX, SRPT, TAP, TCPC, TDC, TEDU, THS, TK, TNDM, TPH, TU, VC, VIVO, WAC, WD, WEN, WIN, ZEUS
Sep. 16, 2014, 9:20 AM
Sep. 4, 2014, 10:13 AM
- An ICC arbitration court has ruled American Superconductor's (NASDAQ:AMSC) Austrian subsidiary breached a 2008 license agreement with former Indian wind turbine tech licensee Ghodawat Energy, and has awarded Ghodawat $11M in damages and costs.
- AMSC says it believes it has "sufficient available liquidity to satisfy the award, if required, and to fund its operations for at least the next twelve months." The company had $42.8M in cash at the end of FQ2 (its June quarter).
- A $10.5M FQ3 charge is expected to be recorded for the ICC ruling.
Sep. 4, 2014, 9:10 AM
Aug. 21, 2014, 5:35 PM
Aug. 21, 2014, 9:53 AM
- American Superconductor (NASDAQ:AMSC) has received a $15M follow-on order from India's Inox Wind for electrical control systems to be used in Inox's wind turbines. The majority of the shipments are expected to occur in FY15 (ends March '16).
- AMSC notes the order is the seventh it has received from Inox since the company began making 2MW turbines through a license obtained from AMSC in 2009, and that Inox's planned IPO will provide it with fresh capital.
- The company is reiterating FY14 (ends March '15) guidance for revenue to be flat to slightly down Y/Y. In the June quarter, AMSC's wind division sales fell 48% Y/Y due to soft Chinese demand.
Aug. 5, 2014, 9:39 AM
- American Superconductor (NASDAQ:AMSC) expects FQ2 revenue to be "flat to slightly higher" Q/Q; the consensus is for revenue to rise 78% Q/Q to $20.8M. EPS is expected to be above -$0.19; consensus is at -$0.12.
- FQ1 Wind division revenue -40% Q/Q and -48% Y/Y to $7.7M due to lower Chinese sales. Grid division revenue +12% Q/Q and -52% Y/Y to $4M; the Y/Y drop is due to lower D-VAR voltage regulation system sales.
- Gross margin was -3.3%, down from 22.1% a year ago. Opex (includes $1.2M in restructuring/impairment charges) fell 12% Y/Y to $12.3M.
- AMSC ended FQ1 with $42.8M in cash, down from $49.4M at the end of FQ4.
- FQ1 results, PR
Aug. 5, 2014, 8:18 AM| 1 Comment
Aug. 4, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ACM, ACT, ADM, AEE, AKRX, ALLT, AME, AMSC, ANSS, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, BCRX, BLMN, CIE, CLDT, CNK, COH, CRZO, CVC, CVS, DWRE, EMR, END, ENZY, EXH, EXLP, EXPD, FE, FUN, GLDD, GTIV, GTXI, HCLP, HCP, HEP, IART, IFF, IIVI, INFI, IT, KWK, LIN, LPX, MDU, MGM, MMP, MSI, MWW, MZOR, NILE, NNN, [[NTi]], NVDQ, NWN, ODP, OXF, OZM, PMC, RBA, REGN, RHP, RIGL, RTI, SCMP, SCOR, SMG, SNSS, SPAR, STE, TDG, VMC, VSI, VTG, WLK, WNR, ZBRA, ZTS
Jul. 17, 2014, 12:46 PM
AMSC vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR