Thu, Apr. 30, 3:15 PM
- A big rise in interest rates early in the session made for a good excuse to sell REITs, but - with the averages sharply lower - rates have reversed course. Still, the sector can't catch a bid, with many of the bigger names down way more than the broader market.
- Equity REITs: Realty Income (O -2.3%), Health Care REIT (HCN -3.2%), Ventas (VTR -3.2%), HCP (HCP -3.1%), Equity Residential (EQR -2.6%), Silver Bay Realty (SBY -2.5%), General Growth Properties (GGP -2.4%), Retail Opportunity (ROIC -3.9%), Boston Properties (BXP -2.4%), Hospitality Properties (HPT -2.9%)
- Mortgage REITs: Armour Residential (ARR -5.6%) - which reported another weak quarter overnight, Two Harbors (TWO -1.1%), Western Asset (WMC -1.3%), Arlington Asset (AI -2.8%), PennyMac (PMT -1.5%). When things get tough, money does have a tendency to flow into the sector giants though: Annaly Capital (NLY -0.4%) and American Capital Agency (AGNC +0.3%) are notable outperformers on the session.
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, REZ, SCHH, ICF, SRS, RWR, KBWY, DRV, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, FREL, WREI
Fri, Mar. 6, 10:21 AM
- The 10-year Treasury yield has popped all the way to 2.24% (up 11 bps on the session) following the strong jobs report which saw 295K jobs added in February and the unemployment rate dropping to 5.5%.
- Checking short-term interest rate futures, they're falling (meaning higher rates), but still not pricing in a rate hike until late summer.
- Annaly Capital (NLY -1.3%), American Capital Agency (AGNC -0.6%), Two Harbors (TWO -1%), Armour (ARR -0.9%), Invesco (IVR -0.9%), CYS Investments (CYS -1.4%), Hatteras (HTS -1.1%), MFA Financial (MFA -1.1%), Western Asset (WMC -0.7%), Dynex (DX -1.2%), AG Mortgage (MITT -1.5%), Ellington Residential (EARN -1.1%).
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
- Previously: Dollar and Treasury yields spike after strong jobs print (March 6)
Tue, Feb. 24, 4:48 PM
- Q4 core earnings of $41.1M or $0.10 per share vs. $49M and $0.13 in Q3. Q4 dividends were $0.15 and have since been cut to $0.12.
- Book value per share of $4.39 down from $4.58 at the end of Q3. Today's close of $3.15 is probably a deserved 28% discount to book.
- Net interest margin in Q4 of 1.27% down 16 basis points from Q3. CPR of 6.45% down 101 basis points.
- Leverage ratio of 7.94:1 vs. 8.42:1 in Q3.
- Conference call tomorrow at 8 ET
- Previously: ARMOUR Residential REIT misses by $0.02 (Feb. 24)
- ARR +1.9% after hours
Mon, Feb. 2, 2:52 PM
- "The combination of a negative duration and relatively long dated hedges lead to book value underperformance in a flat curve environment," merits a downgrade to Underperfrom for Armour Residential (ARR -5.9%), says analyst Doug Harter.
- "With above-average economic return volatility we expect CYS Investments (CYS -2.8%) to continue to have one of the lower price to book multiples among the Agency-only REITs," he says, also cutting to Underperform.
- Tight credit spreads combining with low yields will make it tough for New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -2.2%) to meaningfully expand core EPS enough to cover the dividend, says Harter, cutting that stock to Underperform. He also notes NYMT has the highest price-to-book ratio in his mREIT coverage universe.
- Harter and team, however, still see some attractive values given the 12.9% discount to book the sector is selling for. PennyMac Mortgage Investment (PMT +0.2%), Two Harbors (TWO -0.7%) and New Residential (NRZ -1.6%) remain among top picks (though PMT and especially NRZ can hardly be considered mREITs).
- Previously: Credit Suisse downgrades three mortgage REITs (Feb. 2)
- Previously: JPMorgan previews Q4 for mREITs (Feb. 2)
Mon, Feb. 2, 7:33 AM
- Armour Residential (ARR -1.5%), CYS Investments (CYS -0.6%), and New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -1.4%) are all downgraded to Underperform from Neutral at Credit Suisse.
- The details aren't yet available, but the team is no doubt eyeing the sharp flattening in the yield curve of late, and what that might do to earnings power going forward. Also, the sharp drop in bond yields could set the stage for a jump in refinancing, and thus prepayments.
- As for valuation, both Armour and CYS trade at sizable discounts to their last reported (Sept. 30) book value, while NYMT sells for a premium - a rarity in mREIT land these days.
- ARR is the only mover premarket, -2.4%.
Wed, Jan. 28, 4:05 PM
- The iShares Barclays MBS Bond Fund (MBB +0.2%) hit a new lifetime high, which should be good for the book values of mortgage REITs (assuming they weren't too hedged), but the yield curve continues to sharply flatten. The 10-year Treasury yield is all the way down to 1.71% and the 30-year at a record-low 2.29% - this as the Fed says it's on track for a mid-year rate hike.
- In addition to shaving margins for leveraged holders of mortgages, the lower rates could result in another refinance wave, and thus a surge in prepayments.
- Annaly Capital (NLY -1%), American Capital Agency (AGNC -1.6%), Armour Residential (ARR -0.7%), Hatteras Financial (HTS -0.7%), Western Asset (WMC -2.2%), Apollo Residential (AMTG -0.7%)
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
- Previously: Bond yields slide after FOMC (Jan. 28)
- Previously: FOMC: Still "patient," but rate hike remains on the way (Jan. 28)
Tue, Jan. 6, 2:17 PM
- The 10-year yield has plunged all the way down to 1.94% and one would figure on some nice increases in book value for the mortgage REITs (REM -0.1%), but on the flip side are narrowing interest rate spreads (especially as the Fed still seems to be intent on hiking short rates), and what hedging losses the companies are taking.
- Other ETFs: MORT, MORL
- Individual names: Annaly Capital (NLY +0.4%), American Capital Agency (AGNC), Armour Residential (ARR -1%), CYS Investments (CYS -0.2%), Invesco Mortgage (IVZ -2.7%), New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -0.5%), Hatteras Financial (HTS -0.3%), Western Asset Mortgage (WMC -2.7%), Ellington Residential (EARN -0.4%), Javelin Mortgage (JMI -3%).
Dec. 23, 2014, 7:24 AM
Dec. 9, 2014, 12:57 PM
- Unable to catch a bid for a few sessions, mortgage REITs (REM +1%) have turned higher in afternoon action, led by Annaly (NLY +0.7%) and American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.5%).
- Helping are jitters in the stock market (though U.S. averages are well off the lows), and a 10-year Treasury yield that's retreated all the way to 2.21% after hitting the mid-2.30s on the back of Friday's strong jobs number.
- Armour (ARR +1.1%), Two Harbors (TWO +0.9%), CYS Investments (CYS +1.4%), Invesco (IVR +1.8%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1%), Hatteras Financial (HTS +2%), Capstead (CMO +2%).
- Other ETFs: MORT, MORL
- Also showing some green are the recently beaten-up BDCs, including Prospect Capital (PSEC +0.2%), Fifth Street Finance (FSC +0.2%), Ares Capital (ARCC +0.5%), FS Investment (FSIC), Triangle Capital (TCAP +1.7%).
- ETFs: BDCL, BDCS, BIZD
- Previously: Money flows back into fixed income (Dec. 9, 2014)
Oct. 9, 2014, 10:40 AM
- It's been a good week for mortgage REITs (REM +0.7%) which rose on Tuesday as the broad market tumbled and brought yields down with it, rose more on Wednesday, this time alongside a major broad market rally on dovish FOMC minutes, and are on the move higher again today as the averages again head south.
- Down to 2.28% earlier in the session (a 16-month low), the 10-year Treasury yield is now flat on the day at 2.32%.
- This week's strong move comes following a tough September in which the mREITs gave back a nice chunk of their YTD gains.
- Annaly (NLY +1.2%) is up nearly 5% over the last four sessions. American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.5%) is ahead more than 6%.
- Others: Armour (ARR +1%), Chimera (CIM +1%), CYS Investments (CYS +1.2%), New York Mortgage (NYMT +1.3%), Anworth (ANH +0.8%), Dynex (DX +1%), Javelin (JMI +1.5%), Five Oaks (OAKS +0.9%).
- Other ETFs: MORT, MORL
Sep. 30, 2014, 3:05 PM
- Many in the sector (REM -0.9%) presented today at the JMP Financial Services and Real Estate Conference. Those heard in full by this reporter - CYS Investments (CYS -1.6%), Hatteras Financial (HTS -0.9%), and MFA Financial (MFA -1.3%) - presented nothing alarming, but the sector is nevertheless lit up bright red.
- Other presenters included Capstead Mortgage (CMO -1.2%), Arlington Asset (AI -2.2%), Dynex Capital (DX -1.7%), Invesco (IVR -1.2%), Armour (ARR -2%), New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -3.2%), Javelin Mortgage (JMI -1.5%), Five Oaks Investment (OAKS -1.9%), and Apollo Residential (AMTG -1.1%).
- Related ETFs: MORT, MORL
- Previously: CYS's Grant not buying hawkish ideas from Fed
- Previously: Hatteras updates on Q3 at conference
- Previously: MFA Financial positions for further housing improvement
Sep. 18, 2014, 1:10 PM
- The entire sector is in the red, but the biggest declines are being seen in the industry giants, about the only spots large investors can move a lot of shares quickly: Annaly Capital (NLY -1.6%), American Capital Agency (AGNC -1.6%).
- Yesterday's FOMC statement may have left in the "considerable period" language, but the committee remains on course to begin a rate hike cycle in less than a year.
- Further, the selloff on the long end of the curve can has reached the sizable stage - the 10-year yield is up 32 basis points in a month, and has now erased about all of the summer's decline. Book values could take a hit (though hedging is likely to ease the pain).
- REM -0.7%
- Other ETFs: MORT, MORL.
- Other names: Armour (ARR -1.3%), Invesco (IVR -0.7%), Hatteras (HTS -3%), Capstead (CMO -0.3%), Western Asset (WMC -0.4%)
May 15, 2014, 1:13 PM
- In the red along with the rest of the stock universe all session, a bit of green begins to creep into the mortgage REIT sector (REM -0.4%) as the 10-year Treasury yield tumbles below 2.50%.
- Annaly Capital's (NLY +0.1%) Q1 results were a notable disappointment as management seemingly found itself overhedged while rates fell sharply. One wonders if the hedges were lifted at all for Q2.
- The sector's best performer today is CYS Investments (CYS +1.1%). Management indicated on the April 22 earnings call that it thought mortgages were too pricey, so instead had put a slug of money into Treasurys - a move looking pretty good so far.
- Others: Two Harbors (TWO), Chimera Investment (CIM +0.2%), Armour Residential (ARR -0.1%), AG Mortgage Investment (MITT +0.1%)
- ETFs: MORT, MORL
Apr. 29, 2014, 12:12 PM
- The mortgage REIT (REM -0.9%) sector is lower following American Capital Agency Q1 results from after the bell last night. Earnings beat expectations and comfortably covered the $0.65 dividend, but a 2.3% gain in book value may have been somewhat shy of what was hoped for.
- Opinions make markets, and - unlike CYS Investments' management - American Capital CIO Gary Kain does not view the current mortgage market as too pricey to play in.
- Also for fixed income investors to chew on is Apple's upcoming (bell-ringing?) massive debt offering.
- Related ETFs: MORT, MORL.
- Other agency (or mostly so) MBS names: Annaly (NLY -0.7%), Armour (ARR -0.1%), Hatteras (HTS -0.1%), Capstead (CMO), Anworth (ANH -0.2%), Ellington Residential (EARN -0.6%).
Apr. 4, 2014, 3:15 PM
- What's working today? With the exception of Western Asset Mortgage which had a massive secondary offering, the mREIT sector is nearly universally higher as money rushes out of the previously perkier areas of the market.
- Not hurting is a seven basis point decline in the 10-year Treasury yield to 2.73%.
- Up the most are the two largest and also investor favorites Annaly (NLY +1.4%) and American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.3%). Others: CYS Investments (CYS +1%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +0.5%), MFA Financial (MFA +0.5%), Dynex (DX +0.9%), Armour (ARR +0.5%).
- Related ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
Mar. 19, 2014, 3:13 PM
- A check of sectors following the FOMC statement and updated projections suggesting a quickened pace of rate hikes in the future finds the banks and life insurers notably moving higher. Both groups have struggled earning a spread amid ZIRP and are positively levered to higher rates.
- Lenders: Bank of America (BAC +1%), Citigroup (C +1%), JPMorgan (JPM), Regions (RF +1.7%), KeyCorp (KEY +0.9%), SunTrust (STI +0.7%).
- Life insurers: MetLife (MET +1%), Prudential (PRU +0.7%), Lincoln National (LNC +1%).
- Related ETFs: XLF, FAS, FAZ, UYG, VFH, IYF, KIE, SEF, IYG, IAK, FXO, PFI, KBWB, FNCL, FINU, RWW, RYF, PSCF, KBWP, KBWI, FINZ, KBE, KRE
- Not necessarily positively levered to higher rates are the mortgage REITs (REM -1.6%): Annaly (NLY -1.8%), American Capital (AGNC -1.7%), (MTGE -1.9%), Armour (ARR -1.3%), Two Harbors (TWO -2%) CYS Investments (CYS -3.3%), Capstead (CMO -1.3%), MFA (MFA -1.8%).
- Related ETFs: MORT, MORL
ARR vs. ETF Alternatives
ARMOUR Residential REIT Inc invests in and manages a leveraged portfolio of residential mortgage backed securities. Itinvest in residential mortgage backed securities issued or guaranteed by a United States Government-sponsored entity.
Other News & PR