Aug. 14, 2014, 10:41 AM
- Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM -0.4%) released updated mineral reserves and resources for the Canadian Malartic mine, owned jointly with Yamana Gold (AUY +0.7%), which shows a decrease of ~60K oz. to the reserve base from previous estimates published by Osisko Mining after taking into account a 5% royalty payable to Osisko.
- Proven and probable in-pit mineral reserves are 8.9M oz. of gold based on a US$1,300/oz. gold.
- Raymond James analysts say their initial view of the report indicates a neutral impact to each company’s net asset value.
Aug. 13, 2014, 12:28 PM
- Austerity moves clearly have helped gold miners navigate through the lower price environment, but Citigroup analysts warn that further belt-tightening will be difficult, and may even hurt long-term prospects.
- Citi cautions that the slowdown in capex invariably will result in a fall in production, which in turn will lead to a faster rise in unit costs; also, the recent increase in head grades across the global mining space is an unsustainable mining practice that can have further detrimental effects on future mine plans and ore bodies.
- Among miners Citi sees as most vulnerable to a low gold price environment are Sibanye Gold (NYSE:SBGL), Harmony Gold (NYSE:HMY) and DRDGOLD (NYSE:DRD), which the least vulnerable are Goldcorp (NYSE:GG), Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX), Yamana (NYSE:AUY), Medusa Mining (OTC:MDSMF) and OceanaGold (OTCPK:OCANF).
- ETFs: GDX, NUGT, DUST, GLDX, RING, GGGG, PSAU
Jul. 30, 2014, 6:06 PM
Jul. 30, 2014, 5:59 PM
Jul. 29, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABX, AEL, AEM, AKAM, ALB, ALL, ALLE, AMC, ANIK, ARII, ASGN, ATEN, ATW, AUY, AVG, BALT, BGC, BMRN, CATM, CAVM, CBT, CENX, CHDN, CJES, CLUB, CMO, CNL, CNW, CODE, COHR, CTRP, CW, CWT, DDR, DRE, DRIV, EGN, EHTH, ELGX, ENTR, EQIX, EQY, ESRT, ESV, EXL, EXR, FBHS, FEIC, FISH, FMC, FNF, FOE, FORM, FORR, GLUU, HIG, HK, HOLX, HOS, HR, HTH, INT, IPI, ISIL, KBR, KEX, KGC, KRFT, KS, LGCY, LNC, LOCK, LPSN, LRCX, MAA, MANT, MDAS, MEOH, MET, MOBL, MOH, MTGE, MTW, MUR, NANO, NE, NEWP, NOW, OI, OTEX, PDM, PEIX, PGTI, PPC, PVA, QUIK, RKUS, ROVI, RRTS, SAM, SBRA, SCI, SFLY, SIMG, SPN, SPRT, SSS, STAA, STAG, STMP, STR, SU, SZYM, TCO, TGB, TGI, TS, TSO, TTEK, TTMI, TWTC, UNM, VGR, VPRT, WDC, WFM, WLL, WMB, WPZ, WSTL, WTW, YELP
Jul. 14, 2014, 11:29 AM
- Precious metals miners are broadly lower as gold futures head for their biggest daily drop of 2014, plunging $29.30, or 2.2%, to $1,308.10/oz.
- Physical demand has remained short of expectations, Commerzbank's Eugen Weinberg says, and India's decision to maintain a 10% import duty on gold and silver likely will dampen future gold demand expectations from the country.
- Barclays, which expects gold to drop to $1,200/oz. by Q3, also expresses caution, saying recent gains across the metals complex look toppy.
- ABX -1.2%, NEM -1.7%, GG -2.4%, KGC -1.8%, AEM -1.4%, AUY -1.4%, EGO -3%, NGD -2.8%, FNV -2.4%, AGI -2.6%, AU -2.2%, IAG -1.9%, GFI -3.4%, BTG -2.1%, NG -0.7%, SLW -2.1%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLDX, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, RING, AGOL, DGLD, OUNZ, DBP, GGGG, WITE, PSAU, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, GLDE, GYEN, GLDL, RGRP, GLDS, GEUR, GGBP, BLNG
Jul. 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
- Eldorado Gold (EGO -0.6%) is downgraded to Hold from Buy with a $9 price target at Canaccord, which notes that shares have outperformed gold miner competitors by 14%.
- The firm says EGO is experiencing a closing gap in valuation due to its expansion plan with its Kisladag, Olympias and Skouries assets, leading it to take a more conservative approach on the shares.
- EGO is one of the few major gold miners not sporting a gain in early trade, as overseas events have boosted the sector: NEM +1%, GG +1.2%, ABX +1.3%, KGC +1%, AEM +1.5%, AUY +2.4%, NGD +3.2%, FNV +1.9%, AGI +0.9%, AU +0.5%, BTG +0.3%, GFI -0.5%, IAG -1.3%.
Jun. 19, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Beaten-up gold miner stocks are strong across the board as precious metal prices move sharply higher and take out key technical resistance levels; Comex gold jumped $41.40 (+3.3%) to settle at $1,314.10/oz., the highest level since April 14, and silver added $0.87 (+4.4%) to end at $20.65/oz..
- Among today's winners: EGO +8.5%, AGI +8.5%, BTG +8.1%, SBGL +8.1%, SLW +5.5%, AUY +5.3%, AUY +5.2%, KGC +5.2%, GG +4.8%, NG +4.4%, AU +4.1%, ANV +4%, GFI +3.8%, ABX +3.2%, NEM +2.8%, IAG +1.7%.
May. 27, 2014, 3:33 PM
- June gold fell to its lowest level in 15 weeks, settling 2% lower $1,265.50/oz., as "everywhere the investor looks, he sees nothing but a negative for gold today." Silver slipped 1.8% to end at $19.07/oz.
- Gold's drop despite increased violence in eastern Ukraine "is a telling sign that more weakness may be on the horizon," says Forex.com's Matt Weller; a shift in tone by Russia, which indicated its willingness to work with the new Ukrainian government and made strides toward a natural gas deal between the two countries, removed another support from the gold market.
- Also a factor is a round of stronger U.S. economic data showing a surprise increase in durable goods orders, improved housing data and rising consumer confidence, which is providing a lift to stocks; the expiration of June gold options also is adding to market volatility.
- Precious metals miners are among the day's weakest stock performers: ABX -3.4%, GG -3.8%, NEM -3.1%, SLW -3.4%, KGC -3.8%, AUY -4.1%, AU -6.5%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, DGL, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, OUNZ, TBAR, USV, UBG, GLDE, GYEN, GEUR, GLDS, GLDL, GGBP
Apr. 30, 2014, 11:39 AM
- Yamana Gold (AUY -2.3%) shares are lower after the miner reported weaker than expected Q1 earnings of $0.02/share, vs. $0.16 in the prior-year quarter, due to weaker prices for gold, silver and copper, as well as lower metal sales and higher sale costs.
- Produced 271.9K gold equiv. oz. in Q1, down 7.1% Y/Y; all-in sustaining costs were $820/gold equiv. oz., down from $856/oz. in the year-ago quarter.
- AUY's average realized price for gold fell to $1,300/oz. from $1,620, for silver to $20.43 from $29.81, and for copper to $3.25/lb. from $358.
- CEO Peter Marrone says AUY's main focus in the coming months will be on squeezing higher returns from the newly acquired Canadian Malartic mine and the development of the Cerro Moro project in Argentina, which a new feasibility study indicates could be built for a low capital investment and would have low operating costs.
Apr. 29, 2014, 5:24 PM| 8 Comments
Apr. 29, 2014, 5:19 PM
Apr. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ACE, ACHC, ACMP, AEC, AEGN, AFL, ANIK, ARI, AUY, AXS, AZPN, BGFV, BOOM, BXP, CALX, CAP, CEB, CEMP, CHE, CHRW, CLD, CMRE, CNQR, COLM, CRAY, DLB, DNB, DWA, EBAY, EEFT, EIX, EPR, ESRX, EZPW, FARO, FEIC, FISV, GMED, GNW, GPRE, HURN, IPHI, LOGM, MAC, MAR, MEOH, MWA, NANO, NATI, NCR, NDLS, NFX, NUVA, OHI, OI, PNRA, PRXL, REXX, RFMD, RNG, RNR, RPXC, RVBD, SIMG, SKT, SLCA, SM, STR, STX, SWI, TE, THG, TMH, TRLA, TRN, TTS, TWTR, ULTI, USNA, VNR, VPRT, VRSK, WSH, X, XCO.
Apr. 23, 2014, 11:19 AM
- Yamana Gold (AUY -0.6%) and Agnico Eagle (AEM +2%) are "clear winners" for acquiring Osisko Mining (OSKFF) because it is crucial for gold miners to secure low-risk production at this stage in the cycle, National Bank analyst Steve Parsons says.
- It is increasingly difficult to find large gold deposits in mining friendly jurisdictions - such as Osisko's Canadian Malartic mine in Quebec - and companies need to look at obtaining those assets now or face declining production profiles in the future, Parsons says, adding that now is a good time for mid-tier miners to do business with senior producers who are busy cleaning up their balance sheets.
- For AUY, Parsons says the addition of a low-cost, cornerstone asset should help the stock get re-rated towards its higher-multiple peers; for AEM, the deal is accretive on all metrics and adds another cornerstone asset to its already concentrated portfolio.
Apr. 22, 2014, 7:55 AM
- Gold and silver equities now appear more fairly valued, Goldman Sachs says, raising its sector coverage view to Neutral as it sees more responsible capital allocation, successful cost cutting initiatives, a refocus on maximizing free cash flow, and sound strategic portfolio optimization improving the positioning of select companies and offsetting its below-consensus outlook for commodity prices ($1,200/oz. gold from 2015 forward).
- The firm upgrades Barrick Gold (ABX) to Buy, believing the company's financial flexibility has significantly improved; ABX +1.8% premarket.
- B2Gold (BTG) is initiated with a Buy rating and C$4.20 price target, as Goldman cites imminent production growth from the Otjikoto project which enhances BTG’s free cash flow generation and should fund future development.
- Started at Neutral: AGI, FNV, BVN,.
- Maintained at Buy: GG, AUY, SLV.
- Sell: IAG, EGO, PAAS.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, DUST, SIL, GLDX, JNUG, SLVP, RING, SILJ, JDST, GGGG, PSAU
Apr. 21, 2014, 12:51 PM
- Goldcorp (GG +0.8%) officially gives up its bid for Osisko Mining (OSKFF -0.1%), saying it will not raise its offer to acquire the company; its most recent C$3.6B offer will expire tomorrow night before midnight.
- Yamana Gold (AUY -3.5%) and Agnico Eagle Mines (AEM -3.7%) joined forces last week for a C$3.9B offer to acquire Osisko.
AUY vs. ETF Alternatives
Yamana Gold Inc is a gold producer engaged in gold mining activities including exploration, extraction, processing & reclamation. It has metal properties & land positions throughout the Americas including in Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and Canada.
Other News & PR