There is research on this stock available only to PRO subscribers.
There are no Transcripts on AVL.
Wed, Mar. 26, 3:38 PM
- Analysts say rare earth elements will continue to fall this year after China loses a trade dispute over its export controls, as new mines boost output and while demand in high tech products disappoints.
- A price war could break out after the U.S., EU and Japan won their case over export restrictions they said gave Chinese companies an unfair competitive edge in key sectors, says Ryan Castilloux of Adamas Intelligence; China's "only tangible defense becomes competing head-to-head on price with emerging global producers."
- Investors already are concerned about excess supply as Molycorp (MCP -3%) and Lynas (LYSCF -12.5%) boost output at their new mines; MCP aims to boost output to 20K metric tons/year after producing ~1K metric tons in Q4 2013.
- Also: REE -0.6%, AVL -2.4%, GMO -3.7%.
Dec. 27, 2013, 2:13 PM
- Rare earth miners Rare Element Resources (REE +12.9%), Avalon Rare Metals (AVL +3.7%), and Quest Rare Minerals (QRM +11.7%) have joined Molycorp (previous) in rallying sharply. Equity markets have doled out plenty of punishment to the group this year.
- SA contributor Hawkinvest has provided a bullish write-up on Molycorp, arguing a short-covering rally could take place in early 2014.
- The Rare Earth/Strategic Metals ETF (REMX +0.7%) remains down 32% YTD.
Oct. 25, 2013, 5:42 PM
- Greenland's parliament has removed a 25-year-old ban on uranium mining, paving the way for an industrial boom the Arctic island hopes will help it gain independence from Denmark.
- Greenland wants to boost its mining of rare earths, but uranium often is found mixed into rare earths, so the ban was blocking key mining activity.
- One rare earth deposit being explored by Greenland Minerals (GDLNF) could be the largest outside China; the company thinks it could extract up to 40K tons/year of rare earth metals.
- Rare earths: REMX, REE, MCP, SHZ, AVL, GSM.
- Uranium: URA, NLR, BWC, SHAW, URS, FLR, LTBR, URG, UEC, URRE, USU, DNN, CCJ.
Sep. 24, 2013, 9:54 AM
- Rare earth stocks (REMX) start strong after reports overnight say China is likely to purchase billions of yuan of rare earth minerals starting next month to bolster its strategic reserves.
- Six large rare-earth producers - including Baotou Steel, China's largest rare earth producer by output - are on the list for the purchasing program, which was launched last year.
- Also, one of China’s largest rare earth producers says it plans to raise funds through private placement to build a plant with the capacity to produce 7K tons/year of rare earth oxides.
- MCP +3%, REE +3.7%, AVL +8.8%.
Sep. 17, 2013, 10:36 AM| 2 Comments
Aug. 5, 2013, 11:10 AM
- Avalon Rare Metals (AVL +9.9%) shoots higher on a report suggesting it could build Canada's first rare earth mine, based on a stream of news recently released by AVL about its Nechalacho Rare Earth Elements Project at Thor Lake, Northwest Territories.
- The news, as well as rising rare earth prices, have contributed to recent bullishness on AVL; "Investors would do well to keep Avalon on their watch list of companies considered to have the potential to turn rare earth deposits into mines."
Jul. 31, 2013, 12:53 PM
- A spike in Molycorp (MCP +6.7%) is attributed to an article that says China rare earth prices skyrocketed in the past week.
- Dysprosium oxide jumped 79% in the past week, according to MetalMiner's price index; yttria climbed 47%, terbium rose 34.5%.
Jul. 10, 2013, 6:35 PMMolycorp (MCP) +1.8% AH after surging 16% during regular trading, as other rare earth (REMX) names also rose today: REE +11.7%, AVL +15.2%. A Euro Pacific analyst ties the move to reports from China that say the price increase in rare earth relates to a government campaign to shut down unlicensed mines in China's Ganzhau; funds may be buying a basket of related companies. (earlier) | 4 Comments
May. 21, 2013, 9:10 AM
May. 21, 2013, 8:05 AMMolycorp (MCP) +5.4% premarket on a report that China exported 2,196 metric tons of rare earth in April, a 28% rise from March, and 6,112 tons in the first four months of this year, double the year-ago volume. The data indicates bargain hunting may be reviving global demand for rare earth metals. | Comment!
Apr. 17, 2013, 7:50 PMAvalon Rare Metals (AVL) says the results from feasibility studies for its Nechalacho rare earth elements project confirm that it's "technically feasible and economically robust." The company said total project construction capital costs are $1.575B, which is inclusive of a 13% contingency and $122M in sustaining capital. Operating costs will average $264.5M per year, while revenue sould average $645.8M per year. Shares +2% AH. | 2 Comments
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:46 AMMolycorp (MCP -19.3%) plummets at the open after projecting lower-than-expected revenue and cash flow this year due to weakening rare earth prices. J.P. Morgan cuts its price target on shares to $5 from $8: "We continue to believe MCP will likely have to seek additional capital beyond just a revolver and/or equipment leaseback." AVL -3.9%, REE -3.1%. | 2 Comments
Dec. 28, 2012, 10:22 AMChina sets its H1 2013 export quota for rare earth resources at 15.5K metric tons to be split among 24 domestic producers. The quota is not always met due to weak global demand; China exported only ~13K metric tons of rare earth ores, metals and compounds in the first 11 months of this year, less than half the full-year 2012 quota. | 4 Comments
Dec. 10, 2012, 3:19 PMLynas' (LYSCF.PK, LYSDY.PK) plans to ramp up rare earth materials via its new Malaysian plant suffer a setback, as four ministers say it must export waste material in Malaysia or risk having its operating license revoked. The ministers' statement followed reports citing Lynas Malaysia's director as saying the company would not export residue from the plant. MCP +19.8%, AVL +10%, REE +9.5%. | 7 Comments
Dec. 10, 2012, 11:35 AMMolycorp (MCP +15.7%) soars, taking the rest of the rare earth sector with it (AVL +6.2%, REE +11%, REMX +1.7%). Traders describe the move as the continuation of a short squeeze in Molycorp - whose shares dropped below 6 in mid-November after being in the mid-30s 7 months earlier. Adding fuel is a report Interactive Brokers has said there is insufficient stock available for short sales. | 11 Comments
Sep. 19, 2012, 10:41 AMAs the Arctic melts, the scramble is on for oil, gas and rare earth minerals as they become newly accessible along with increasingly navigable polar shipping shortcuts. So it's no surprise that China is becoming a far more aggressive player in the area, provoking alarm among Western powers. Rare earth names are slightly higher: MCP +1%, AVL +1.7%, REE +0.8%. | 14 Comments
AVL vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR