Oct. 14, 2014, 3:31 PM
- Global growth, foreign-exchange, oil, and small caps are the subject of every client inquiry, says David Kostin. His team's recommendation: Buy "American exceptionalism."
- In Kostin's view, U.S. economy and corporate fundamentals are still strong, with economic growth expected by Goldman economists to be 3.2% next year, the fastest expansion since 2005. Europe is expected to grow just 1%.
- What his team likes are those stocks of companies which have a high proportion of domestic sales, plus sectors like Consumer Staples (XLP -0.1%) and Discretionary (XLY +0.7%) which stand to benefit from lower oil prices (plunging again today).
- As for small caps (IWM +0.9%), Kostin is wary, noting downward earnings revisions have boosted small cap P/E ratios even as prices have declined.
- The list of S&P 500 names capturing two or more of Kostin's themes: GT, GM, PCLN, AMZN, CMCSA, LOW, DG, TSN, ADM, CVS, AVP, WAG, PXD, HAL, JPM, BAC, SCHW, PNC, MS, C, GNW, LNC, MET, THC, AET, UNH, ESRX, HUM, WLP, BIIB, GILD, DAL, CMI, FLR, CRM, JBL, MA, FB, MU, FSLR, VMC, MON, T.
Oct. 10, 2014, 2:05 PM
- There's more consumer staples names to add to the list of out-performers on the day with investors peeling off some tech and momentum favorites.
- The partial list below represents stocks up at least 1% on the day with a dividend yield of over 2%.
- Back in favor: AVP, KO, MO, RAI, BUD, PF, BGS, DPS, CPB, LO, DF.
Oct. 10, 2014, 1:55 PM
Sep. 9, 2014, 11:03 AM
Sep. 8, 2014, 5:25 PM
- Kimberly Ross joined Avon Products (NYSE:AVP) is 2011, and has resigned as EVP and CFO, effective Oct. 2; Controller Robert Loughran will take over the role until a permanent replacement is found.
- Ross is moving on to Baker Hughes (NYSE:BHI), where she will become SVP and CFO effective Oct. 22.
- AVP -0.2% AH
Jul. 31, 2014, 10:24 AM
- Avon Products (AVP +4.5%) trades higher after the company reports on Q1 results.
- Though Avon missed the consensus estimates of analysts and total unit volume was down 6% during the period, the worst-case scenario for the quarter was avoided.
- The company thinks it can churn up a profit in North America by 2015.
Jul. 31, 2014, 9:05 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 7:02 AM
Jul. 30, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, ABMD, ACIW, ACOR, ADP, AGI, ALKS, ALU, AMRC, APA, ASEI, ATK, AVP, AYR, AZN, BDX, BG, BGCP, BKCC, BLL, BUD, BWA, BZH, CCJ, CDW, CEVA, CHTR, CI, CL, CME, CNSL, COMM, COP, COT, CRCM, CRR, CTCM, CVI, CVRR, DDD, DISCA, DLPH, DTV, ENDP, EPD, EXC, FCH, FCN, FIG, FLY, FRM, GEL, GG, GIL, GLOP, GMT, GNRC, GTLS, H, HGG, HL, HP, HST, IDA, IMN, INCY, IRDM, IRM, ITT, IVZ, K, KMT, LKQ, LLL, LM, MA, MCK, MD, MDP, MNTA, MOD, MOS, MPC, MPLX, MSCI, MTOR, MWIV, NGD, NI, NJR, NWL, OAK, OCN, ODFL, OXY, PCG, PCRX, PES, PNR, PNW, PPL, PRFT, PWR, Q, RFP, RYL, SBH, SC, SCG, SFY, SHOO, SNAK, SNMX, STC, STRA, STRZA, SUP, SWC, TE, TEVA, TKR, TRP, TWC, UAN, UPL, USAK, VG, VICL, VNTV, VRX, WLT, WWE, XEL, XOM, XRAY
Jun. 24, 2014, 8:53 AM
Jun. 23, 2014, 5:58 PM
- Avon's (AVP) job cuts come after the company reported an 11% Y/Y Q1 sales drop, along with a 6% drop in units sold.
- The beauty products maker expects to record $45M-$50M in pre-tax charger, and see $50M-$55M/year in savings.
- The cuts are expected to largely take place "in the corporate organization and North America business unit." Avon announced 650 job cuts last December, and has set a target of slashing annual costs by $400M.
Jun. 2, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Analysts sizing up Avon Products (AVP) think the company might be open to a sale with recent turnaround efforts sputtering.
- The board has been pushing actively pushing for a golden parachute in the form of accelerated vesting in what could be a sign that the stance on a takeover has changed.
- Tupperware Brands (TUP) and Coty (COTY) are potential suitors, while a private equity acquisition could allow the company to save money by relocating its tax domicile.
May. 19, 2014, 7:57 AM
- Shares of Avon Products (AVP) are higher in early action after the company was mentioned positively in Barron's.
- Stifel Nicolaus thinks CEO Sheri McCoy is on the right track with cost reduction initiatives. The firm also reasons Avon's North American business should be sold or closed if it can't be turned around.
- Barron's notes insider buying at Avon has picked up after shares dipped earlier this month.
- AVP +1.8% premarket
May. 13, 2014, 1:27 PM
- An alarming drop in sales by Elizabeth Arden (RDEN -21.1%) has rocked the fragrance and cosmetics sectors.
- The read weak U.S. demand from the company and a heavily promotional atmosphere overseas has put some more tension in the air.
- Decliners: Avon Products (AVP) -1.1%, Ulta Salon (ULTA) -1.5%, Nu Skin (NUS) -1.2%, Inter Parfums (IPAR) -1.3%, Revlon (REV) -1.1%, Coty (COTY) -2.7%.
May. 2, 2014, 10:46 AM
- Shares of Avon Products (AVP -0.5%) slip lower again after Estee Lauder outperforms the company for the most recent quarter.
- Yesterday, the stock swooned after Avon disclosed it will pay $135M to settle charges it violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The harsh sell-off had some retail analysts calling for a snap-back today.
May. 1, 2014, 9:13 AM
AVP vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR