Tue, Jan. 6, 8:20 AM
- The spinoff of Ferrari could give Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (NYSE:FCAU) enough breathing room to seek a merger partner, according to auto industry analysts.
- The rising cost of developing clean cars in Europe and the U.S. sets the stage for automakers to join forces through mergers and extended partnerships.
- "Eventually it must happen," notes FCA chief Sergio Marchionne on the topic of mega-mergers.
- No company is too big to be ruled out of the merger discussions due to the benefits of scaling investment costs and matching strengths/weaknesses in Europe, Latin America, China, and the U.S, note insiders.
- Automakers: GM, F, TM, FCAU, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTCPK:PEUGF, OTC:RNSDF, TTM, KNDI. OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:MZDAY.
Tue, Jan. 6, 4:37 AM
- The Consumer Electronics Show that kicked off in Las Vegas yesterday is showing off some future technologies that could hit the auto industry.
- Likened to a luxury lounge that chauffeurs passengers autonomously, Mercedes Benz (OTCPK:DDAIF) showed off a prototype for its new concept car on Monday, called the F 015 Luxury in Motion.
- BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) will unveil its wirelessly charging i8 hybrid sports car later this week, which uses a magnetic field to transmit electricity between a base pad on a garage floor and a coil on the underside of the vehicle.
Mon, Jan. 5, 1:54 PM
Mon, Jan. 5, 3:04 AM
- BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) has agreed to pay 5.1B yuan ($820M) to its distributors in China to help cover their losses after the retailers stopped ordering cars from the manufacturer, Bloomberg reports.
- Slowing sales growth means a "new normal" is emerging in the country’s auto market, BMW said in an e-mailed statement.
- The carmaker and dealer group "reached consensus on the structure of optimized business measures and financial allocation for the dealers."
Fri, Jan. 2, 9:04 AM
- Automobile prices in India are set to increase as much as 6% after the government decides not to extend a tax break for manufacturers.
- Execs with several automakers have already weighed in on the development, saying the higher tax will be passed on to consumes.
- The development is expected to cut into demand in the short-term for an industry which was starting to gain traction.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:SZKMF, HMC, TTM, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:NSANY, OTC:RNSDF.
Thu, Jan. 1, 3:41 AM
- More than 60M vehicles were recalled in the U.S. in 2014, totaling an average of about two announcements a day and affecting the equivalent of one in five vehicles on the road.
- GM's (NYSE:GM) defective ignition switch, Honda's (NYSE:HMC) Takata (OTCPK:TKTDY) air bag crisis and Fiat Chrysler's (NYSE:FCAU) flammable gas tanks led the group, doubling the previous U.S. annual recall record set in 2004.
Dec. 31, 2014, 9:04 AM
- A sobering comment from China Automobile Dealers Association deputy secretary general Luo Lei could give manufacturers pause heading into 2015.
- "Carmakers have high market expectations. But the reality is: supply exceeds demand," maintains Lei.
- Dealers in China have been complaining this year about problems clearing inventory, even in the luxury sector, amid an unbalanced push by automakers to meet targets.
- Also on the Chinese automobile market: China extends EV subsidies, High hopes for Chinese luxury automobile segment, Toyota to miss China 2014 sales goal.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:DDAIF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, GM, OTCPK:NSANY, TM, TTM, F, HMC, TSLA, KNDI.
Dec. 30, 2014, 8:37 AM
- China will extend subsidies on electric vehicles of up to 55K yuan ($8.8K) per vehicle until at least 2020, according to new draft rules published by the government.
- The development is the latest indication that Beijing plans to back the EV industry in the region as part of a broadened pollution-control initiative.
- Related news: Shenzhen (population ~10M) caps new car sales.
- Stocks of interest: TSLA, OTCPK:BAMXY, KNDI, TM, and Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) via BYD Group.
Dec. 28, 2014, 12:40 PM
- Germany plans to build out the network of charging stations for battery-powered cars in the nation as it looks to stoke growth in the EV industry, according to Reuters.
- The government has a goal of having a million electric cars on the road by 2020.
- EV sellers in Germany: OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTCPK:MMTOF, TSLA, OTCPK:NSANY, OTC:RNSDF.
Dec. 23, 2014, 2:53 AM
- BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) is next to expand a Takata (OTCPK:TKTDY) recall nationwide, following the lead of four rival automakers.
- The NHTSA has been pushing carmakers to broaden the recall beyond a limited area with high humidity and they have gradually followed suit.
- At least five deaths have been linked to the Takata inflaters, although none of them have been in BMW vehicles.
Dec. 22, 2014, 10:49 AM
- TrueCar projects automobile sales in the U.S will rise 2.6% to 17M next year.
- The research firm forecasts the average transaction price of new vehicles will increase 2.4% to a $32,589.
- TrueCar's models to watch: Ford F-Series, Mazda CX-3, Mercedes-Benz GLA.
- Related stocks: GM, F, TM, FCAU, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:FUJHY, KMX, CRMT, AN, OTCPK:MZDAY, LAD.
Dec. 19, 2014, 3:00 PM
- U.S. automobile sales are forecast to increase 11% in December to an annual selling rate of 16.6M units, according to a fresh forecast from TrueCar.
- The research firm says the industry benefited from lower gas prices and a better month of weather than was seen a year ago.
- For the full year, TrueCar expects total U.S. vehicle revenue to be up 8.3% to close to $1T.
- Transaction prices on new cars are up 1.9% to $31,831 YTD.
- Used vehicle sales are up 3.3% for the year.
- Related stocks: GM, F, TM, FCAU, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:FUJHY, KMX, CRMT, AN, LAD.
Dec. 19, 2014, 2:17 PM
- The age of connected cars appears closer with Google pushing forward with its next-gen Android M software designed to be integrated into automobiles.
- The industry has a bit of an uneasy relationship with Google, despite the company's open-source approach to the technology.
- Though most major automakers collaborate with Google through the Open Automotive Alliance - which aims for a common platform to drive innovation - the self-driving car initiative of Google and their own infotainment ambitions keep them wary.
- Analysts originally forecast vehicle-to-vehicle communication would be part of the connected car concept and be integrated into some models by 2016, although that timetable now appears unlikely.
- What to watch: Before any major breakthrough occurs, the DOT needs to weigh in on next-gen connected cars. That gets trickier with safety and security concerns teed up again after the high-profile GM recall debacle and crippling Sony hacking incident.
- Automaker stocks: GM, F, TM, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTCPK:PEUGF, OTC:RNSDF, TTM, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTC:RNSDF, OTCPK:GELYF, FCAU.
Dec. 18, 2014, 9:14 AM
- General Motors (NYSE:GM) suspends making deliveries to Russia due to the volatile situation with the ruble exchange rate.
- The company operates in the region through Opel-division GM Russia.
- Jaguar Land Rover (NYSE:TTM) and Audi (OTCQX:VLKAY) have also halted sales in the nation in reaction to the currency crisis.
- The above automakers - along with BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY), Daimler (OTCPK:DDAIF), Hyundai (OTC:HYMLF), and Renault (OTC:RNSDF) - face large hits in Q4 due to exposure to the Russian currency.
- Some estimates on ruble losses range over the $100M mark.
Dec. 16, 2014, 7:12 AM| Comment!
Dec. 9, 2014, 7:12 AM
BAMXY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR