Jun. 3, 2014, 2:17 AM
- BMW (BAMXY) plans to cut €100M ($136M) of German labor costs every year after 2015.
- The German cuts come as the company decides which plants in Bavaria are financially worth it to build it's new models.
- However, BMW also announced it would invest $1B to enlarge its U.S. plant in South Carolina, increasing the number of employee's to 8,800. The U.S. plant will be the company's biggest production facility by 2016.
May. 29, 2014, 8:19 AM
- Consumer Reports says fuel economy tests on the Honda Accord hybrid indicate the model failed to deliver the 47 mpg posted on the window sticker on dealer lots.
- Testing by CR found a combined highway and city rating of 40 mpg for the Accord hybrid, a bit below the rating of the Toyota Prius hybrid.
- The bigger picture: Consumer Reports has found several cases of hybrids falling short of the posted fuel economy rating. Recent reviews have also suggested that some hybrid models aren't riding smoothly or handling well under duress.
- Related stocks: HMC, TM, FUJHY, BAMXY, FIATY
May. 29, 2014, 2:08 AM
- Hyundai (HYMLF) has unveiled two sedans built exclusively for its home market: The new AG, and a diesel version of the Grandeur (Azera).
- The South Korean company has been concerned with growing imports from Europe and the U.S. due to free trade deals in recent years. These tariff cuts have led to increasing imports from car makers like BMW (BAMXY) and Audi (VLKAY). A stronger Korean Won has also squeezed earnings in overseas markets like the U.S.
- Combined with affiliate Kia Motors (KIMTF, HYMLF), Hyundai is the world's fifth biggest automaker.
May. 28, 2014, 12:37 PM
- BMW (BAMXY) says it will invest in a project to build 50 electric vehicle charging stations in Shanghai as a first step in a broader roll-out.
- The German automaker will partner with State Grid Shanghai Electric Vehicle on the initiative.
- The big picture: Though the Chinese government has a stated goal of seeing 500K hybrid and EVs on the road by 2020, it's been slow to roll out a free licensing program on a large scale and hasn't addressed the infrastructure needs of for that many vehicles.
May. 23, 2014, 1:53 PM
- Ford (F +0.5%) thinks it can take on luxury automakers such as Audi (VLKAY), Mercedes-Benz (DDAIF), and BMW (BAMXY) in Europe despite misfiring with its previous attempts at moving upscale.
- The automaker will launch new models under the Vignale brand and will sell the Mustang starting in 2015. The 2015 Mondeo will be the first Ford car to get the Vignale treatment.
- A launch of Lincoln on the continent is also up for discussion.
- European-based automobile industry analysts have expressed some doubts on Ford's ambitions to rattle the sector.
May. 16, 2014, 8:13 AM
- European car registrations increased 4.6% in April, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.
- The U.K. showed strong growth with a 8.2% gain, while registrations in Germany fell back 3.6%. Registration in Spain soared 29% off of a soft-as-butter comparable.
- Brand growth: Volkswagen (VLKAY) +4.4% to 287.9K; PSA Group (PEUGY) +5.2% to 122.2K; Renault (RNSDF) +16.1% to 107.6K; General Motors (GM) -5.2% to 75K; Ford (F) +9.1% to 82.7K; Fiat/Chrysler (FIATY) +1.8% to 68.1K; BMW (BAMXY) +0.5% to 64.2K; Daimler (DDAIF) +0.5% to 60.9K; Toyota (TM) +4.8% to 43.1K; Nissan (NSANY) +22.1% to 36.6K.
- ACEA data (.pdf)
May. 13, 2014, 7:11 AM
- BMW (BAMXY) reports global sales rose 4.3% in April to 162,093.
- For the first four months of the year, BMW's global sales are up 7.5% to 649K led by brisk demand in China.
- BMW is holding its own against Mercedes-Benz and Audi on a market share basis with all three nameplates pushing up production numbers.
May. 12, 2014, 3:03 PM| Comment!
May. 9, 2014, 11:53 AM
- European automakers (VLKAY, BAMXY, PEUGF, DDAIF, RNSDF) think a proposed trade deal between the EU and Japan gives too many advantages to Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY, MMTOF)
- Trade deals in the past have given the group from Japan leverage to significantly boost imports to Europe. This time around the European companies want to rework the terms up front.
- "If we’re now talking about opening up import duties for Japan, put a helmet on," said Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said earlier this year on the issue.
May. 6, 2014, 11:35 AM
- Barclay analyst Kristina Church thinks BMW (BAMXY) could pose a competitive threat to Tesla Motors (TSLA -2.8%) with the i3 EV and i8 plug-in hybrid offering different propositions to green consumers.
- The two models sandwich the Model S in terms of target audience and could disrupt the thesis that the Gen III launch is guaranteed to meet expectations, notes Church.
- Early reviews of BMW's electric launch have been favorable.
May. 6, 2014, 7:54 AM
May. 1, 2014, 12:35 PM
Apr. 24, 2014, 1:40 PM
- A forecast from J.D. Power and LMC Automotive calls for automobile sales in the U.S. to reach 1.1M units in April, up 5% Y/Y.
- The average transaction price in April is expected to be 3.6% higher at close to $29.8K.
- What to watch: Close to half of the new models in 2014 are arriving in the premium segment which will cause new competition as some premium pricing dips down into the levels of non-premium models.
- Automakers: GM, F, TM, FIATY, HMC, NSANY, TSLA, VLKAY, DDAIF, HYMLF, BAMXY, KIMTF, MMTOF, TTM
Apr. 16, 2014, 1:23 PM
Apr. 16, 2014, 7:50 AM
Apr. 10, 2014, 12:48 PM
- BMW (BAMXY) will recall more than 156K to address a potential issue with defective bolts.
- The vehicles in the recall include some from the well-received 3 Series.
- The pace of recalls in the automobile industry has picked over the last two weeks following criticism over GM's handling of an ignition switch issue.
BAMXY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR