Dec. 23, 2014, 6:19 PM
- Although the energy sector led today's stock advance, a raft of companies downgraded by Global Hunter mostly took it on the chin - none more so than Key Energy (NYSE:KEG), which plunged 15% after shares were cut to Reduce from Neutral with a $1.50 price target that was reduced from $2.50.
- Also downgraded to Reduce were HERO -6.1%, NBR -3.2%, DO +1.3%.
- Lowered to Neutral were HAL +0.5%, GEOS -8.9%, HP -2.9%, BAS -2.5%, PKD -2.5%, BHI +0.6%, BBEP -0.2%, MEP +0.1%.
- Downgraded to Accumulate: PES -3.5%, PTEN -1.1%, NGLS +2.9%.
- The firm upgraded five stocks - ATW, NOV, OII, RES and SPN - all of which gained in today's trading.
Dec. 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
Dec. 16, 2014, 12:37 PM
- Wunderlich downgrades oil drillers Basic Energy Services (BAS +11.7%) and Key Energy Services (KEG -2.6%) to Sell from Hold and Pioneer Energy Services (PES +12.8%) to Hold from Buy, as the greatly reduced 2015 activity outlook likely hits all three very hard both operationally and financially.
- While the full impact of the oil price collapse has not been felt yet, "rest assured the pain is coming - and coming soon," the firm says, adding that the current downturn is even more scary than in 2008-09 because "this time it looks as if there is no basin or commodity to shift activity into."
- Nevertheless, a broad array of energy stocks have turned around from early morning losses to move higher.
Nov. 28, 2014, 7:48 AM
- The oil market will need to balance via slower U.S. shale growth and OPEC cuts at some later date (their next meeting is on June 5), says Goldman's Brian Singer, maintaining his team's WTI oil price outlook of $70-$75 per barrel for next year.
- Among the energy sub-sectors, refiners and pipelines continue as favorites, and five of Goldman's eleven energy and utilities stocks on the Americas Conviction Buy list are from midstream/refining: KMI, MWE, PAGP, TRGP, TSO (all are lower premarket on oil's tumble).
- Not buyers of oil services and E&P names, Goldman nevertheless does have favorites in these areas: CRR, BAS, RIG.
Oct. 27, 2014, 8:55 AM
- Goldman Sachs lowers its ratings on the oil services sector (NYSEARCA:OIH) to Cautious from Attractive and downgrades several specific stocks as it cuts its 2015 oil price forecast.
- U.S. land activity will suffer the biggest impact of the lower price deck, Goldman says, with customer capital spending expected to decline 6% next year vs. its prior outlook for a 9% increase; as a result, the firm now forecasts the horizontal U.S. rig count to fall 7%, or ~200 rigs, over the next 12 months.
- Goldman downgrades Parsley Energy (PE -3.8% premarket), Diamond Offshore (DO -1.5%), Laredo Petroleum (LPI -9%) and Basic Energy Services (BAS -6.2%) to Sell with sharply lower price targets; Patterson-UTI (NASDAQ:PTEN), Pioneer Energy (NYSE:PES) and Emerge Energy (NYSE:EMES) are cut to Neutral.
- The firm adds Oceaneering (OII -0.3%) to its Conviction Buy list; it also removes Halliburton (HAL -1.5%) from the list but maintains its Buy rating on the stock.
Oct. 23, 2014, 7:17 PM| Comment!
Oct. 22, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ADES, ALGN, ALTR, AMZN, BAS, BJRI, BLDR, BMRN, CB, CBI, CERN, CLMS, CLNE, CNMD, CPWR, CTCT, CYN, DECK, DLB, DV, ECHO, ELY, EW, FET, FII, FLS, FSL, GHL, GIMO, HBHC, HUBG, HWAY, IM, INFA, JNPR, KLAC, LOGM, LSCC, MSFT, MTSN, MXIM, MXWL, N, NCR, NTGR, OLN, P, PACB, PCCC, PDFS, PEB, PFG, PFPT, POL, QLIK, RMD, RUBI, RVBD, SHOR, SIVB, SPNC, SRCL, SWFT, SWN, SYNA, VMI, VRSN, WOOF, WRB, WRE, WRI
Oct. 17, 2014, 5:40 PM
Sep. 20, 2014, 8:25 AM
- Deutsche Bank analysts say they came away encouraged after hosting a series of one-on-one meetings with top energy companies; despite recent negative sentiment on the group, it paints an optimistic outlook for oil service companies, which see continued strength in the overall spending outlook from customers, even with the move down in commodity prices.
- Among the firm's top Buy-rated stocks in the group is Schlumberger (NYSE:SLB), down 12.5% since July 1; despite a slowdown from Libya, Iraq and Russia, the DB team likes the outlook for Latin America, with a recent contract win in Brazil in wireline and better pricing in its drilling contract, and eyeing start-up work in Mexico.
- DB also likes Hercules Offshore (NASDAQ:HERO), which has cratered 63% YTD; the company expects slow going in the Gulf of Mexico until the end of this year’s hurricane season, but opportunities look much brighter in 2015.
- Rounding out the firm's favorites: BHI, BAS, EXH, FET, PES.
Jul. 28, 2014, 3:28 PM
- Basic Energy Services (BAS +1.8%) recovers a bit of Friday's 10% loss, as shares are upgraded to Accumulate from Neutral at Global Hunter after the "overreaction to a fairly benign [Q2] earnings report."
- Q2 results were below expectations in fluid services, and outlook commentary was somewhat disappointing in completion and remedial services relative to elevated expectations, the firm says in explaining the reason behind Friday's fall.
- The conservative C&R guidance and dialed back fluids services assumptions may have left ample room for positive revisions to top line guidance, the firm says.
- Raymond James also raises BAS shares to Outperform from Market Perform.
Jul. 25, 2014, 5:09 AM| 1 Comment
Jul. 23, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACTG, ALGN, ALTR, AMZN, ATRC, AWAY, BAS, BCOV, BCR, BIDU, BJRI, BLDR, CB, CBI, CERN, CLS, COLM, CTCT, CYN, DECK, DGII, DLB, DTLK, ECHO, ELY, EPR, FET, FICO, FII, FLEX, FSL, GIMO, HBHC, IM, INFA, KLAC, LEG, LOGM, LSCC, MITK, MKTO, MLNX, MSCC, MTD, MTSN, MXIM, N, NR, NTGR, OLN, P, PACB, PEB, PFG, PFPT, QLGC, QLIK, RFMD, RGA, RGC, RSG, RVBD, SBAC, SBUX, SIVB, SPNC, SRCL, SWFT, SWI, SYA, TPX, TSRO, UHS, V, VR, VRSN, WOOF, WRE, WRI
Jun. 10, 2014, 9:13 AM
Jun. 9, 2014, 5:02 PM| Comment!
Apr. 24, 2014, 6:46 PM| 1 Comment
Apr. 24, 2014, 12:10 AM
- ABAX, AFOP, ALTR, AMCC, AMZN, AWAY, BAS, BGG, BIDU, BLDR, BRCM, CAMP, CB, CENX, CERN, CINF, CLF, CLMS, CRUS, CUDA, CYN, DECK, DGII, DV, ECHO, EMN, EW, FBP, FET, FICO, FII, FSL, GIMO, HBI, HWAY, INAP, INFA, ITRI, KLAC, LEG, LSCC, LVS, MAS, MKTO, MLNX, MSCC, MSFT, MTSN, MXIM, NEM, NR, NTGR, OLN, OTEX, P, PEB, PFG, PKI, QLIK, RGA, RGC, RSG, SBUX, SHOR, SIVB, SPN, SPWR, SRCL, SWFT, SYNA, TCO, UHS, V, VR, VRSN, WFT, WOOF, WRE, WRI
BAS vs. ETF Alternatives
Basic Energy Services Inc provides well site services in the United States to oil and natural gas drilling and producing companies, including completion and remedial services, fluid services, well servicing and contract drilling.
Other News & PR