Thu, May 14, 3:05 PM
- Monsanto (MON +1.7%) is trying to line up buyers for assets worth up to $8B to appease regulators before making a new takeover approach for Syngenta (SYT +1.7%), possibly within three weeks, Reuters reports, citing industry sources.
- MON reportedly will tap Germany's BASF (OTCQX:BASFY, OTCPK:BFFAF), an existing joint venture partner, as it seeks a buyer for SYT's U.S. seeds business, which cannot be part of its proposed takeover.
- SYT's seeds business could be worth $6B-$8B, and likely would need to be sold because authorities are expected to block MON from adding to its dominance of the U.S. soy and corn seeds market.
Thu, Apr. 30, 4:55 PM
- Syngenta (NYSE:SYT) +12.6% AH after Bloomberg reports it has been approached by Monsanto (NYSE:MON) about a possible takeover.
- Combined with SYT, MON would become the largest player in the world for both seeds and crop chemicals and a formidable competitor to Bayer (OTCPK:BAYZF, OTCPK:BAYRY), BASF (OTCQX:BASFY, OTCPK:BFFAF) and Dow Chemical (NYSE:DOW).
- Reports last year had said the companies held preliminary talks with advisers about a combination before SYT management decided against negotiations.
Sep. 20, 2013, 7:40 AM| Comment!
Apr. 12, 2011, 2:55 PMMonsanto (MON +2.5%) shares pull back after a Reuters report suggests BASF (BASFY.PK) is not planning a bid for the company; buyout rumors had sent the stock up as much as 4%. Deutsche Bank had upgraded the shares yesterday on valuation and faith that "its strategy will drive share gains and mid-teens EPS growth over the next three years." | Comment!
BASFY vs. ETF Alternatives
At BASF, we create chemistry and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world's leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social... More
Other News & PR