Jun. 25, 2014, 4:17 PM| Comment!
Jun. 24, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jun. 11, 2014, 9:34 AM
- ICSC forecasts comparable-store sales for retail chains will increase by 3.5% Y/Y in June.
- The pace is slightly less than the snap-back from a slow Q1 that some analysts forecast.
- The read on June from the research firm is that wholesale clubs (WMT, COST, PSMT) and furniture stores (PIR, BBBY, LZB, ETH, RH, HVT, KIRK, WSM) showed "outstanding strength" for the first full week of the month.
- Related ETFs: IYK, UGE, SZK
Apr. 10, 2014, 9:12 AM
Apr. 10, 2014, 6:47 AM| Comment!
Apr. 9, 2014, 5:39 PM
Apr. 9, 2014, 4:17 PM
Apr. 9, 2014, 12:10 AM
Apr. 8, 2014, 5:35 PM
Mar. 27, 2014, 3:45 AM
- CEO salaries at companies that generate over $8B in revenues rose 4.1% to a median $9.8M in 2013 as shareholder activism kept a lid on pay, a WSJ-commissioned survey shows.
- While the increase was slightly greater than in 2012, it was well well under the median 25% shareholder return for the companies looked at.
- Clarence Otis of Darden Restaurants (DRI), which is a focus of investor activism, saw his pay drop 24% even as returns increased 4%, and while the compensation of Cisco's (CSCO) John Chambers jumped 49%, returns soared 65%. GameStop's (GME) Paul Raines enjoyed a 92% boost in his salary even though returns rose just 5.4%.
- Other relevant tickers: BBBY, ORCL, NKE, VIAB
Mar. 17, 2014, 3:28 PM
- Shares of J.C. Penney (JCP +0.1%) have been on the rise over the last month with the retailer's re-launch of its home goods business providing investors something to bite off on.
- Credit Suisse notes that what's good for JCP, could come at the expense of Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY).
- Bed Bath & Beyond went to 9.3% share of the home goods market during the grand Ron Johnson experiment, but could see its sales slip as JCP gets back on track with consumers.
Mar. 7, 2014, 4:59 PM
- Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) cuts its FQ4 outlook after it says severe weather led to 464 times a store was closed for a full day and 1,923 times a store was closed for a partial day.
- Forecasts FQ4 (March) EPS of $1.57-$1.61 vs. prior guidance of $1.60-$1.67 and analyst consensus estimate of $1.65, and sees comparable store sales up 1.7% vs. previous guidance of 2%-4% gains.
- BBBY +0.2% AH.
Mar. 6, 2014, 9:19 AM
- Wedbush forecasts home sales will increase at a low single-digit pace in 2014 on a broad cyclical trend that could cut into momentum for housing-related stocks.
- The investment firm turns cautious on Home Depot (HD) with a PT cut to $78 - while Lumber Liquidators (LL) and Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) are downgraded to Neutral.
- Earlier: Wedbush chips away at Lowe's
Mar. 5, 2014, 9:06 AM
- A recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC indicates 63% of American support raising the minimum wage.
- Though the Republicans are expected to challenge anything brought to the floor of the House, there's a growing consensus in DC that some minimum wage legislation will eventually pass.
- Democrats argue that the current minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour is low by historical standards when adjusted for inflation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT
Feb. 26, 2014, 7:00 PM
- Eugene Castagna, Bed Bath & Beyond's (BBBY) CFO since '06, has been moved to the newly-created role of COO. Finance SVP Susan Lattmann is the retailer's new CFO. (PR)
- BBBY also says it's extending its employment agreements with co-chairmen Warren Eisenberg and Leonard Feinstein for three years to Feb. 25, 2017.
Feb. 26, 2014, 2:44 PM
- Three Senate Democrats have broken away from Majority Leader Harry Reid's $10.10/hour line in the sand on minimum wage legislation.
- Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas, and Mark Warner of Virginia have all tipped off that they think there could be some room to negotiate over the amount of an increase over the current federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. The GOP likes the status quo, but is viewed as likely to give some ground in an election year.
- Federal minimum wage legislation could create higher costs in the retail and restaurants sectors as companies adjust to the new higher floor.
- Last week, Gap made a preemptive move to raise its own hourly wage in a development that stirred the pot a little bit.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT.
BBBY vs. ETF Alternatives
Bed Bath & Beyond Inc operates a chain of retail stores. It operates under the names Bed Bath & Beyond, Christmas Tree Shops, Harmon and Harmon Face Values, buybuy BABY & World Market or Cost Plus World Market.
Other News & PR