Apr. 21, 2014, 9:58 AM
- HowStuffWorks, whose site and apps try to explain exactly what the company's name suggests, produces 38M unique visitors and 200M page views per month.
- Blucora (BCOR -0.1%) is acquiring the business from Discovery (DISCA -0.4%) for an undisclosed amount of cash, and adding it to its InfoSpace (white-label search) reporting unit. Discovery will have ongoing access to HowStuffWorks' video content.
- The acquisition comes a month after the WSJ reported Blucora is prepping an all-cash offer for electronics retailer Brookstone. The company's efforts to diversify follow a search/ad deal renewal with Google that doesn't cover Blucora's mobile users.
- Update: Bloomberg reports the deal price is $45M - 82% less than what Discovery originally paid for HowStuffWorks.
Mar. 31, 2014, 4:05 PM
- The WSJ reports Blucora (BCOR +3%) is prepping an all-cash bid for struggling specialty electronics retailer Brookstone that would trump a $260M stalking-horse offer ($120M in cash + the assumption of $140M in debt) from private Spencer Spirit Holdings.
- Sources state Blucora would merge Brookstone with online electronics accessory retailer Monoprice (acquired last year for $180M).
- Shares remain down 33% YTD, after having sold off due to soft guidance and worries about the terms under which Blucora partially extended its search/ad deal with Google.
- Previous: Brookstone teetering on bankruptcy
Aug. 22, 2013, 4:54 PM
- Blucora (BCOR +0.3%) closes the acquisition of Monoprice for $180M in cash.
- The acquired e-commerce company, which specializes in offering its own private-brand electronics, is expected to have revenue of $36.5M-$37.5M and a segment income margin of 12%-12.5% in Q3. Blucora expects Monoprice to be immediately accretive to EPS.
Aug. 1, 2013, 7:52 AM
- Blucora (BCOR) plans to acquire Monoprice for $180M in a deal slated to close in Q3.
- The company says Monoprice is a "disruptive participant" in the markets for electronics and tech accessories which is rapidly moving online.
- The acquisition is expected to be accretive to Blucora's earnings immediately.
Jan. 9, 2012, 6:58 AM
BCOR vs. ETF Alternatives
Blucora Inc is engaged in operating Internet business. It operates an internet Search & Content business, an online Tax Preparation business, and an E-Commerce business providing search services to users, online tax preparation service & sales services.
Other News & PR