Apr. 21, 2014, 9:58 AM
- HowStuffWorks, whose site and apps try to explain exactly what the company's name suggests, produces 38M unique visitors and 200M page views per month.
- Blucora (BCOR -0.1%) is acquiring the business from Discovery (DISCA -0.4%) for an undisclosed amount of cash, and adding it to its InfoSpace (white-label search) reporting unit. Discovery will have ongoing access to HowStuffWorks' video content.
- The acquisition comes a month after the WSJ reported Blucora is prepping an all-cash offer for electronics retailer Brookstone. The company's efforts to diversify follow a search/ad deal renewal with Google that doesn't cover Blucora's mobile users.
- Update: Bloomberg reports the deal price is $45M - 82% less than what Discovery originally paid for HowStuffWorks.
Mar. 31, 2014, 4:05 PM
- The WSJ reports Blucora (BCOR +3%) is prepping an all-cash bid for struggling specialty electronics retailer Brookstone that would trump a $260M stalking-horse offer ($120M in cash + the assumption of $140M in debt) from private Spencer Spirit Holdings.
- Sources state Blucora would merge Brookstone with online electronics accessory retailer Monoprice (acquired last year for $180M).
- Shares remain down 33% YTD, after having sold off due to soft guidance and worries about the terms under which Blucora partially extended its search/ad deal with Google.
- Previous: Brookstone teetering on bankruptcy
Aug. 22, 2013, 4:54 PM
- Blucora (BCOR +0.3%) closes the acquisition of Monoprice for $180M in cash.
- The acquired e-commerce company, which specializes in offering its own private-brand electronics, is expected to have revenue of $36.5M-$37.5M and a segment income margin of 12%-12.5% in Q3. Blucora expects Monoprice to be immediately accretive to EPS.
Aug. 1, 2013, 7:52 AM
- Blucora (BCOR) plans to acquire Monoprice for $180M in a deal slated to close in Q3.
- The company says Monoprice is a "disruptive participant" in the markets for electronics and tech accessories which is rapidly moving online.
- The acquisition is expected to be accretive to Blucora's earnings immediately.
Jan. 9, 2012, 6:58 AMInfoSpace (INSP) announces the purchase of online tax solution provider TaxACT for $287.5M in a deal expected to close in Q1. The firm expects the transaction to be immediately accretive to EPS and says it will help push the year one return on shareholder capital to over 16%. | Jan. 9, 2012, 6:58 AM | Comment!
BCOR vs. ETF Alternatives
Blucora Inc is engaged in operating Internet business. It operates an internet Search & Content business, an online Tax Preparation business, and an E-Commerce business providing search services to users, online tax preparation service & sales services.
Other News & PR