Quote & Headlines
5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
To learn more about Seeking Alpha PRO, click here.
There are no Transcripts on BDL.
PR Newswire (Aug 14, 2013)
PR Newswire (May 15, 2013)
PR Newswire (Feb 14, 2013)
PR Newswire (Dec 31, 2012)
PR Newswire (Aug 15, 2012)
PR Newswire (May 16, 2012)
PR Newswire (Dec 28, 2011)
BDL vs. ETF Alternatives
Monday, Dec 22:14 PMA decent read on U.S. restaurant sales
Monday, Dec 22:14 PM| Comment!
- National Restaurant Association's Restaurant Performance Index increased 0.7% M/M in October to track at a four-month high.
- Customer traffic improved during the month with more restaurant operators reporting a rise than a drop.
- Pricing in the restaurant sector has held up better than some other discretionary areas where promotional activity has taken over.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Tuesday, Oct 158:09 AMRough start for restaurants stocks to earnings season
Tuesday, Oct 158:09 AM| 1 Comment
- It's very early in the earnings season, but restaurant operators are 0 for 5 in meeting the Q3 estimates of analysts, observes Hedgeye.
- Domino's Pizza which is considered one of the more resilient chains to consumer spending swings was the latest to swing and miss.
- The sector has been tapped as one of the potential casualties from the government shutdown with family dining operators expected to take the hardest hit.
- Earnings watch: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, BKW, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
Tuesday, Aug 139:37 AMRetail sales solid for July, but Wal-Mart still to weigh in
Tuesday, Aug 139:37 AM| 1 Comment
- Retail sales beat expectations in July after backing out auto sales to show the strongest gain of the year.
- Restaurants (CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN) showed some strength during the month, rising 0.6% after an alarming 0.5% drop in June.
- Despite the largely positive reading on retail sales, the dominant event for retail this week will come from Bentonville, Arkansas when Wal-Mart (WMT -0.6%) reports Q2 earnings and offers up some hints about Q3.
Wednesday, Aug 72:44 PMAre restaurant stocks the next retail domino to fall?
Wednesday, Aug 72:44 PM| 6 Comments
- Some retail analysts have an uneasy feeling that the selling pressure on retail-oriented stocks could extend to restaurants.
- The group has held up fairly well even as McDonald's continues to have a spotty sales year and blunt assessments from industry execs - including last week's revelation from Brinker International during a conference call (transcript) that fast casual dining is a "fairly lethargic" category.
- On watch: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Wednesday, Jul 38:03 AMA move by the Obama administration to delay until 2015 a requirement that businesses with more than 50 employees provide health care insurance bodes well for the restaurant industry. The sector was expected to be amongst the hardest hit by the legislation due to its high employee-to-sales ratio. Restaurant operators breathing easier: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, [BKW, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, BKW |Wednesday, Jul 38:03 AM| 4 Comments
Monday, Jun 242:04 PMRestaurant franchisees are hiring more and it could have more to do with the Affordable Care Act than actual demand, according to analysts. Under the fine print of the health care reform bill, a business can avoid paying health care insurance if their employees on average work less than 30 hours a week. Is an army of part-time workers about to invade the restaurant business (CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, BKW, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN) to help allay ACA costs? |Monday, Jun 242:04 PM| 5 Comments
Tuesday, May 2812:45 PM
Tuesday, May 2112:47 PM
Friday, Apr 129:51 AMRestaurant sales trends improved in March but remain "fragile," according to a new report from Black Box Intelligence. The sector saw a same-store sales increase of 0.5% during the month compared to February’s decline of 5% - while traffic decreased 2% compared to a 4.2% drop in February. |Friday, Apr 129:51 AM| Comment!
Wednesday, Apr 102:17 PMRestaurant visits by parties of adults grew by 1% last year to end four consecutive declines in the category but visits with children in tow showed flat growth once again, according to tracking from the NPD Group. A tripping point for the sector has been the lack of growth in visits by parties with kids. What to watch: Analysts see increased promotional activity sneaking in on the industry's margins. |Wednesday, Apr 102:17 PM| 5 Comments
Monday, Mar 252:30 PMRestaurant blues: The consensus estimate of economists for consumer spending growth in February is for a 0.6% gain after the measure rose 0.2% in January but don't expect restaurants to report strong numbers for Q1. Inside tracking and guidance warnings from key companies indicate that the sector is feeling the pressure of higher payroll taxes. Major chains also face a tough period of comparable with last year's winter much milder on average in the U.S. |Monday, Mar 252:30 PM| 4 Comments
Friday, Feb 228:50 AMThe restaurant sector is on watch after a pre-earnings warning from Darden Restaurants (DRI) and a harsh downgrade on Wendy's (WEN) sets a negative tone. The picture being painted for 2013 is starting to get pretty consistent - margin pain and soft traffic trends. Other things to watch in 2013 for the sector: 1) The impact of higher payroll taxes. 2) The coming costs of the Affordable Care Act. 3) The push to raise the minimum wage. 4) Which chains can succeed in China and India? |Friday, Feb 228:50 AM| 5 Comments
Wednesday, Feb 1310:14 AMMargin pain on the horizon: Restaurants could get squeezed this year from a combination of higher commodity costs and frugal consumers, according to AlixPartners. Though traffic is forecast to rise 3%, the average ticket is expected to decline 4.7% with coupons, promotions, and discounts gaining favor. Chains that are expected to ride out the expected tough environment are those that can deliver healthy food fast. Chipotle (CMG -1.8%), privately-held Subway, and Panera (PNRA -1.5%) fit the bill. |Wednesday, Feb 1310:14 AM| 6 Comments
Wednesday, Jan 96:50 AMHedgeye says current employment trends show a potential deceleration of employment growth in the casual dining restaurant sector as compared to the broader economy. According to the firm, the data suggests a possible slowing of casual dining sales as a result. |Wednesday, Jan 96:50 AM| 5 Comments
Tuesday, Dec 42012, 9:09 AMThe restaurant sector is on watch after a profit warning from Darden Restaurants points to weakness, not in Europe or China, but at home in the U.S. While increased promotional activity in the sector is behind part of the slip from Darden, the bigger question is why are sales so weak for big players if consumer confidence is supposedly bouncing back? |Tuesday, Dec 42012, 9:09 AM| 12 Comments
Thursday, Oct 112012, 8:06 AMQuick service restaurants continue to play catch-up with leaders Chipotle (CMG) and Panera Bread (PNRA) as they try to subtly shift from "fast food" to "fast casual" and steal customers from sit-down alternatives. After McDonald's (MCD) set the bar high with premium coffee, smoothies, and reworked restaurants with HD TVs - nearly every chain has set in motion a modernization plan of its own. |Thursday, Oct 112012, 8:06 AM| Comment!