Mon, Apr. 13, 9:59 AM| Comment!
Wed, Mar. 11, 1:07 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +5%) is higher on stronger volume a day after reporting earnings.
- The company is closing fewer bookstores this fiscal year than expected and showed an above-consensus comp which has reset some expectations.
- The B&N retail comp has now increased for 3 straight quarters.
- During the firm's earnings call, execs indicated the company hasn't given up on the Nook business.
- Earnings call transcript
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue (March 10)
- Previously: Barnes & Noble records positive bookstore comp, Nook unprofitable again (March 10)
Tue, Mar. 10, 9:07 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports comparable-store sales at its retail bookstore chain rose 1.7% in FQ3.
- Revenue dropped 1% for the bookstore business on a smaller store count.
- The college segment recorded revenue +7.2% to $521M and EBITDA -20% Y/Y to $28M. Investing in the digital side of the business was a factor.
- Losses at the Nook segment were narrowed to $29M, despite a sharp slide in revenue.
- Guidance: B&N expects the retail bookstore comp to be in the negative low single-digits in FY15 and Nook to be unprofitable again.
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue
- BKS -2.45% premarket to $24.25.
Tue, Mar. 10, 8:33 AM
Mon, Mar. 9, 5:30 PM
Mon, Mar. 9, 2:57 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1%) says it has invested in study aid player Flashnotes Inc. and plans to promote the business across its platforms.
- Terms of the investment weren't disclosed.
- The stake in Flashnotes Inc. is part of the B&N college bookstore business which will be spun off to shareholders later this year.
Thu, Feb. 26, 10:01 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +7%) will spin off its college business into a new publicly traded company in a tax-free distribution.
- Shareholders can expect the transaction to be completed before the end of August.
- The development is a reversal from a prior proposal to spin off the Nook business.
- Shares of BKS etched out a fresh 52-week high after the news hit.
Fri, Jan. 23, 1:22 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is up 3.88% on above-average volume.
- The sorting out of short positions on BKS is in the background as shares find their way back to within a dollar of a 52-week high.
- The B&N retail chain has put up solid core comps over the last two quarters with a thinned-out bookstore herd helping to hold up demand.
Thu, Jan. 8, 9:05 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports core comparable-bookstore sales rose 1.7% during the nine-week holiday period.
- Total retail sales +0.2% to $1.1B.
- Nook sales -55.4% to $56M on a huge slide (expected) in device sales.
- Based on the results, B&N expects full-year core comparable-store sales to be flat and EBITDA losses in the Nook segment to decline compared to last year.
- BKS +4.6% premarket.
Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 AM| Comment!
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 2.3% off of today's strong read on retail sales in the U.S.
- While the big boys are holding their own - Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) +1.1%, Target (NYSE:TGT) +2.0%, Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +1.0% - it's the apparel chains and specialty retailers doing the heavy lifting.
- Retail standouts: Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) +3.3%, CST Brands (NYSE:CST) +3.3%, Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) +3.2%, Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM) +3.0%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +2.9%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%.
- Previously: Retail Sales report, highlights
Dec. 5, 2014, 5:30 PM
- Following a 7.6% gain today, Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) has more than erased the big losses it initially saw on Thursday after posting an FQ2 EPS miss and announcing it's buying back Microsoft's 17.6% Nook Media stake.
- TheDeal reports today Wal-Mart is interested in the e-book market and could make a bid for Nook Media. Worth noting: Much of Nook Media's value is tied to its college bookstore ops rather than the Nook hardware and digital content businesses.
Dec. 4, 2014, 9:49 AM
- Along with its FQ2 results, Barnes & Noble (BKS -11.4%) has announced it's buying Microsoft's (MSFT +1.6%) stake in Nook Media for $62.4M in cash and 2.7M shares (current value of $52.8M). The companies have also "agreed to terminate their commercial agreement." (8-K)
- With Microsoft having invested $300M in Nook Media (contains B&N's Nook hardware, online bookstore, e-book, and college bookstore ops) in 2012 for a 17.6% stake, the software giant is taking a ~$185M loss on its investment.
- B&N's Nook segment revenue (covers hardware, digital content, and accessories) fell 41.3% Y/Y in FQ2 to just $62M, thanks to tough competition from Amazon and ongoing tablet cannibalization of e-readers. B&N's college segment saw revenue rise 1.9% to $751M.
- The sale follows Microsoft's July decision to lay off roughly half the workers in its Nokia phone unit, as part of a broader restructuring.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:34 AM
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:30 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 1:05 PM
- A technical breakdown on the performance of retail e-commerce sites for Black Friday and Cyber Monday reveals some winners and losers.
- Sears (NASDAQ:SHLD), Costco (NASDAQ:COST), Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP), REI, Saks and NewEgg drew high marks for using responsive web design to create a seamless mobile experience for users.
- Costco and Sears were also on a list of fastest sites - along with Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS), W.W. Grainger (NYSE:GWW), Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM), and Hennes & Mauritz (OTCPK:HMRZF).
- The extended holiday was more uneven for Best Buy (NYSE:BBY), Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), Cabela's (NYSE:CAB), and Forever 21 which had painful outages or slow performance times.
- J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) was reported to have had a temporary mobile glitch which caused a slowdown, but also ended up on a list of top website performers.
BKS vs. ETF Alternatives
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR