Jul. 1, 2014, 2:56 PM| 3 Comments
Jun. 25, 2014, 9:10 AM
Jun. 25, 2014, 8:43 AM
- The board authorizes the separation of Barnes & Noble's retail operation from the NOOK Media business into two separate public companies, and BKS hopes to have this done by 2015 Q1.
- Management sees FY15 comp bookstore sales down in the low-single digits, with college comp sales down a similar amount. EBITDA losses in the NOOK segment are expected to continue to decrease.
- The earnings call is set for 10 ET.
- Shares +9.9% premarket
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.13, beats on revenue
Jun. 25, 2014, 8:33 AM
Jun. 24, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jun. 5, 2014, 8:43 AM| 1 Comment
May. 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS +6.5%) are higher after the company is tapped by Barron's as a potential undervalued play for investors.
- The sum-of-the-parts argument on B&N isn't new, although Barron's comes up with an eye-popping potential fair market value of $36 per share on the stock.
- The college business of Barnes & Noble looks under-appreciated in particular.
- Before anything too dramatic happens with the company, the Nook Media conundrum needs to be worked out with stakeholders Microsoft and Pearson (PSO +1%).
May. 9, 2014, 1:20 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +2.8%) CEO says the company wants to have over 1,000 college bookstores in operation within five years. The company runs 696 shops at the moment.
- The plan also includes a doubling of the number of academic superstores (+30K square feet).
- In order to hit the 1,000-store mark, B&N will have to convince some larger universities to move away from the independent store model.
Apr. 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
Apr. 17, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) Chairman Leonard Riggio sold 3.7M shares of the company to take his stake down to 20%.
- Riggio sold off his shares at a price of $17.30.
- The development takes some of the steam out of the theory that Riggio was planning to back a go-private deal.
- SEC Form 4
- BKS -4.3% premarket to $17.80
Apr. 3, 2014, 12:45 PM
Apr. 3, 2014, 9:49 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -10.2%) plunges at the open after Liberty Media (LMCA -0.1%) says it is selling the majority of its stake in the bookseller.
- LMCA will retain a 10% stake to allow BKS "greater flexibility" to right itself and will give up its right to have two representatives on the BKS board.
- In 2011, LMCA purchased a 17% stake in BKS, which has struggled to compete in a market increasingly dominated by mobile devices and downloadable data.
Apr. 3, 2014, 9:09 AM
Apr. 2, 2014, 5:38 PM
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:23 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) discloses in a SEC filing that it entered an expanded agreement with Microsoft.
- The companies have agreed to co-brand within the Microsoft Consumer Reader for content delivered by Nook Media.
- Nook Media can stop its efforts to create a Window phone app due to the development.
- SEC Form 8-K
- BKS +1.0% premarket
Feb. 26, 2014, 1:44 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +4.1%) CEO Husney says the company held about 20% of the e-book market, down from two years ago when it was in the 25%-27% range.
- Same-store sales at the company's retail stores were down 0.5% in FQ3 - fairly level with other retail chains for the period. A bright spot was the 12% increase in comp sales for educational toys and games in the quarter.
- On the topic of a bid by G Asset Management, Huseby was downright dismissive. G Asset has "extremely limited" financial means and no equity financing to support its proposal, says the exec.
- Huseby also dissected the job cuts at the Nook business. 190 positions, or 26% of the work force, were slashed through attrition and layoffs.<.li>
- Earnings call transcript
BKS vs. ETF Alternatives
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR