Nov. 26, 2013, 8:36 AM
Nov. 26, 2013, 12:05 AM
Nov. 25, 2013, 5:30 PM
Nov. 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -2.2%) needed a home run with its new GlowLight e-reader, but it might only be heading for a solid single.
- The general consensus is that the product, which is offered at the same price as the Kindle Paperwhite, won't do enough to rejuvenate B&N hardware business. At last count, the company only held 5.1% of the e-reader market share.
- Reviews: Laptop Magazine, Gizmodo.
Nov. 11, 2013, 8:38 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) creates its own retail event with the launch of "Discovery Friday" a full week before Black Friday.
- The company's marketing campaign around the event will focus on the launch of the Nook GlowLight and the ongoing emergence of the book chain as a "neighborhood institution."
- Nook boutiques inside of B&N stores are being beefed up this year for the holiday rush.
Oct. 30, 2013, 7:08 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) unveils its new flagship e-book reader priced at $119.
- The Nook Glowlight weights only 6.2 ounces and features a similar display and lighting as the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite.
- Reviews: The Verge calls the device lighter, faster, and full of ideas - while CNET says it gives the Paperwhite a run for its money.
Oct. 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
Oct. 14, 2013, 9:28 AM
- As part of its ho-hum announcement of a new store opening in Texas, Barnes & Noble (BKS) says the cafe in the new store will feature more items from Starbucks as well as desserts from The Cheesecake Factory (CAKE).
- The retail chain has been able to carve out additional space for cafes to ring up more food and beverage sales, but will it be nearly enough? Last quarter, the company's bookstore saw a sharp drop in same-store sales and a tough comparable is upcoming.
Sep. 30, 2013, 5:04 PM
- Mahese Veerina, who until last year was the head of Motorola Mobility's software/cloud services ops, has been named COO of Nook Media (BKS), effective Oct. 7. In addition, Doug Carlson, most recently chairman of digital magazine publishing platform Zinio, has been named Nook Media's digital content/marketing chief. (PR)
- The appointments come less than 3 months after B&N CEO William Lynch resigned, and CFO Michael Huseby was named head of Nook Media.
- B&N's Nook segment, hurt by tough tablet/e-book competition and a declining e-reader market, posted July quarter sales of $153M (-20% Y/Y) to go with a $55M EBITDA loss.
Sep. 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -0.2%) could see a spike in traffic at its retail stores this week with several new highly-anticipated books coming out from well-known authors.
- Publishers are testing the water with earlier holiday release dates and limited signed hardcover editions to stoke interest in hardcover books.
- Though the impact of e-books sellers such as Amazon and Apple on B&N has been enormous, many analysts think the closing of Borders and the loyalty of the book seller's customers keeps the retail story alive.
Sep. 23, 2013, 6:57 PM
- Cubist Pharma (CBST) will join the S&P MidCap 400. The drug developer will replace Smithfield Foods, which is being acquired by China's Shuanghui International.
- SAI's Science Applications spinoff is also joining the MidCap 400, and will do so at the expense of Barnes & Noble (BKS), which is getting sent down to the S&P SmallCap 600. B&N will displace RadiSys (RSYS) in the index.
- SAI is being renamed Leidos Holdings, and will trade in the MidCap 400 under the symbol LDOS. Science Applications will trade under the symbol SAIC.
- Organic macaroni maker Annie's (BNNY) is taking Cubist's spot in the SmallCap 600.
- All changes take place after Thursday's close.
Sep. 12, 2013, 1:39 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -1.4%) Chairman Leonard Riggio is easily re-elected but doesn't give investors much of an idea on where the company's digital strategy is heading.
- Things got a little testy during the open mike Q&A with investors when Leonard Riggio was asked why he didn't buy the company's retail stores. Riggio cut the inquiries short by saying he didn't have to explain his rationale.
- "Look, no one is happy with Nook," said Liberty Media's (LMCA) Gregory Maffei. His firm holds 17% of BKS, but his sentiment is probably echoed by a majority of shareholders.
Sep. 4, 2013, 9:21 AM
Sep. 3, 2013, 10:04 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1.9%) plans to sell college newspapers through Nook devices.
- A quick scan shows over 220 newspapers are already available.
- It remains to be seen if a pay subscription model will work for the company in an atmosphere where most college weeklies are free.
Aug. 27, 2013, 7:18 AM
Aug. 26, 2013, 2:17 PM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS +2.8%) trade higher after Barron's Andrew Barry writes that an annual dividend and/or buyback from the company seems likely in the coming year.
- It's not a price jump that impresses Paul La Monica as he tags the movement the "#StupidStock Move of the Day."
- The lift was just enough to get BKS back over $20 where it has met resistance.
BKS vs. ETF Alternatives
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR