Sat, Feb. 14, 10:53 AM
- The automobile industry was jolted yesterday by reports on Apple developing its own electric vehicle.
- Though the development has the potential to be disruptive for EV automakers, the impact could be even larger for companies betting on fuel cells if the $740B Cupertino giant takes a strong position in the EV vs. hydrogen debate through a partnership or vehicle introduction.
- Shares of Tesla Motors only showed a mild reaction to the Apple reports yesterday during the regular session and AH trading.
- Toyota is the company out in front on FCV development with the Mirai debuting in many markets this year. The automaker audaciously calls the model the "turning point" in automotive history.
- In regard to Apple, by most appearances, Toyota has been slow-playing the integration of Apple's CarPlay into future platforms.
- Related: The electric vs. hydrogen debate just got interesting (Jan. 15 2015)
- Related: Fuel cell development in Japan to gear up before 2020 Olympics (Jan. 20 2015)
- Related: Millennials have the steering wheel now (Jan. 31 2015)
- Related: Apple car project is for real, and it's a minivan (Feb. 13 2015)
- Automobile industy stocks: GM, F, TM, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, TTM, OTCPK:SZKMY, OTCPK:FUJHY, OTCPK:GELYF, FCAU, BLDP, KNDI.
Fri, Feb. 13, 9:15 AM
Fri, Feb. 13, 8:18 AM
- Putting investors on edge, Ballard (NASDAQ:BLDP) is now down 5.8% premarket, as the stock shows signs of letting up.
- Shares have skyrocketed almost 70% in the last two days following the company's announcement of a fuel cell deal with Volkswagen.
- Previously: Ballard continues climb premarket (Feb. 12 2015)
- Previously: Ballard, Volkswagen ink $80M deal (Feb. 11 2015)
Thu, Feb. 12, 9:15 AM| Thu, Feb. 12, 9:15 AM | 5 Comments
Thu, Feb. 12, 8:36 AM
Wed, Feb. 11, 12:45 PM
Wed, Feb. 11, 9:16 AM
Wed, Feb. 11, 9:13 AM
Wed, Jan. 28, 7:22 PM
- Ballard (NASDAQ:BLDP) customer/Belgian vehicle maker Van Hool has "signed a grant agreement with the EU Hydrogen Fuel Cell Joint Undertaking for deployment of 21 fuel cell buses in Europe as part of the 3Emotion Program."
- An equipment supply agreement is being finalized for the delivery of 21 Ballard FCvelocity-HD7 fuel cell modules. Delivery is expected in 2015 and 2016. 27 Van Hool buses featuring Ballard modules are already in operation.
- Ballrd has risen to $1.66 in AH trading.
Fri, Jan. 2, 9:14 AM
Fri, Jan. 2, 8:19 AM
- Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ:BLDP) -9.1% premarket after terminating two licensing agreements in China because of material breaches, and saying the moves will hurt its 2014 financial results.
- BLDP had expected to collect ~$4.5M from the deals in Q4 and recognize another $3M-plus under the contracts, but will not book any revenue under the contracts in Q4 while expecting to record a ~$4.5M impairment charge.
- BLDP warns it will not achieve its guidance for 2014 revenue growth of 20% or $73.5M, and adjusted EBITDA growth of 65%.
Dec. 30, 2014, 5:36 PM
Nov. 28, 2014, 10:55 AM
- Solar stocks are getting hit hard (TAN -5.1%) after OPEC opted against cutting oil production, leading crude prices to plunge below $70/barrel and sparking huge selloffs in energy/commodity stocks. Fuel cell stocks aren't faring much better.
- Solar decliners: FSLR -6.8%. SPWR -6%. SUNE -5.7%. SCTY -2.9%. CSIQ -10.7%. SOL -9.1%. YGE -7.3%. DQ -7.2%. ENPH -6.8%. TSL -6.9%. JASO -7.5%. RGSE -3.9%. JKS -6.9%. CSUN -3.5%. VSLR -3.7%. HSOL -3.8%.
- Fuel cell decliners: BLDP -6.1%. FCEL -4.5%. PLUG -2.3%. HYGS -5.3%.
Nov. 12, 2014, 3:59 PM
- Plug Power (PLUG -16.6%) bumps along near its lows of the day following its Q3 earnings miss and downside revenue guidance.
- In its earnings conference call, PLUG lowered its FY 2014 revenue guidance to $70M-$75M vs. prior guidance of $75M, and expects to ship 900-1000 Gendrive units in Q4; reaffirms its 2014 bookings guidance of $150M.
- PLUG sees product gross margins expanding to 25% gross margins by year-end 2015; sees service gross margins ~10% region during the period.
- Says it is attempting to build a new large scale hydrogen plant, and may seek partners or acquisitions.
- Also: FCEL -6.6%, BLDP -8.6%, ZBB -3%.
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:49 PM
- Plug Power (NASDAQ:PLUG) continued to climb today, building on the fuel-cell manufacturer's announcement last week about a new deal to supply Golden State Foods with its GenDrive zero-emission hydrogen fuel cells for use in powering 39 of its material handling vehicles.
- PLUG previously has said it expects its product and service orders to triple over year-ago levels, possibly lifting the company to its first profit since 1999.
- PLUG jumped 9% today and nearly 17% since the news; peers FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) and Ballard Power (NASDAQ:BLDP) both rose more than 5% today.
Oct. 29, 2014, 9:18 AM
- Net loss of $2.4M, or -$0.02 per share, vs. $4.6M, or $0.05 per share in the same quarter a year ago.
- Revenue by segment: Telecom Backup Power +60%; Material Handling +70%; Development Stage Markets -43%.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $0.5M, an improvement of 151% driven by higher revenue and a lower operating cost base.
- The company reset guidance to revenue growth of approximately 20% and adjusted EBITDA improvement of approximately 65%.
- BLDP -7.7% premarket
BLDP vs. ETF Alternatives
Ballard Power Systems, Inc. is engaged in the design, development, manufacture, sale and service of fuel cell products for a variety of applications, focusing on commercial stage and development stage markets.
Other News & PR