Dec. 12, 2014, 6:29 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, [[BRK.b]]) is acquiring Charter Brokerage, a provider of logistics services to the petroleum and chemical industries, from P-E firm Arsenal Capital.
- On its site, Charter calls itself "the premier drawback services company in the U.S.," and claims to "recover more duties, taxes and fees for our clients than any other firm."
- Berkshire is 11 days removed from announcing it's buying Weatherford's engineered chemistry and drilling fluids business for $825M.
Oct. 2, 2014, 8:11 AM
- Van Tuyl Group is the country's largest privately-owned auto dealership group, and the 5th-ranked overall.
- After being folded into Berkshire Hathway (BRK.A, BRK.B), the company will be known as Berkshire Hathaway Automotive, and - no surprise - will continue to be led by its existing management team.
- Buffett: "The Van Tuyl Group fits perfectly into Berkshire Hathaway from both a financial and cultural viewpoint ... [It] enjoys excellent relations with the major auto manufacturers and delivers unusually high volumes at its 78 locations. This is just the beginning for Berkshire Hathaway Automotive."
- The deal is expected to be closed in Q1. Term were not disclosed.
- Press release
Sep. 25, 2014, 2:29 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) and CenterPoint Energy (NYSE:CP) are among 10 companies that signed confidentiality agreements to explore bids for Energy Future's Oncor electricity distributor, Bloomberg reports.
- NextEra Energy (NYSE:NEE), which helped prompt the auction with a takeover bid this year valuing Oncor at more than $17.5B, also signed a non-disclosure agreement letting it conduct due diligence.
- The bankrupt Energy Future's profitable Oncor business operates the largest distribution and transmission business in Texas and delivers electricity to more than 3M homes and businesses.
Sep. 12, 2014, 4:37 AM
- Burger King (NYSE:BKW) will meet with leaders next week to discuss a $7.25B loan package, including a $6.75B seven-year term loan and a $500M five-year revolver, to back its $11.5B purchase of Tim Hortons (NYSE:THI).
- The loan, being arranged by JPMorgan Chase, would be the single biggest term loan for an acquisition by a speculative-grade borrower since 2007.
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) is also providing $3B of preferred equity financing for the transaction.
Aug. 26, 2014, 2:00 AM
- In a surprise twist which lands Warren Buffett in the middle of the Burger King (NYSE:BKW)-Tim Hortons (NYSE:THI) deal, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) is now expected to provide about 25% of the financing for the merger, WSJ reports.
- The exact structure of Buffett's participation remains unclear, but sources say he will invest in the form of preferred shares.
- Due to deal being structured as a tax-inversion, the new move also shoves the billionaire into a heated debate over U.S. taxes.
- THI +1.7% AH
May. 27, 2014, 11:27 AM
- Noting that Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A, BRK.B) Warren Buffett has suggested he will hunt for his next big acquisition among energy companies, Reuters speculates that strong candidates that fit Buffett's style could include Baker Hughes (BHI), Williams Partners (WPZ) and Pinnacle West Capital (PNW).
- BHI has a fat ~$30B market cap but is trading at a discount to peers on several key metrics, WPZ sports the competitive advantage of its ownership of the Transco gas mainline which runs from Texas to New York, while PNW may be on the smallish side but offers strong cash flow from operations and reasonable debt.
May. 1, 2014, 7:07 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) agrees to acquire SNC-Lavalin's (SNCAF) AltaLink, the operator of electric transmission lines in Canada, for $3.24B, as Warren Buffett’s company expands its investment in energy.
- Buffett’s power unit, renamed just this week as Berkshire Hathaway Energy, has been expanding through acquisitions under CEO Greg Abel; SNC is moving away from infrastructure investments to put resources into engineering and construction.
Apr. 11, 2014, 12:02 PM
- About a month ago, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) and Graham Holdings (GHC -0.4%) reached agreement in principal for Berkshire to acquire some cash and a Graham subsidiary which includes WPLG - a Miami-based TV station - in exchange for about 1.6M shares of Graham common stock owned by Berkshire.
- Besides the acquisition of a local media outlet which The Oracle is fond of, the transaction looks like it allows Buffett to cash out of a highly profitable investment in Graham without paying any capital gains tax.
- Press release
Mar. 4, 2014, 10:43 AM
- Utilities that meet takeover criteria outlined by Warren Buffett this weekend for another “major” acquisition after paying more than $5B last year for electricity provider NV Energy include Wisconsin Energy (WEC +1.8%) and Alliant Energy (LNT +1.1%), Bloomberg speculates.
- WEC and LNT operate in states with favorable regulatory environments, and LNT is expanding into renewable energy, which Buffett has signaled could be a focus for large investments, according to Morningstar; pipeline MLPs such as Plains All American (PAA) and MarkWest Energy (MWE) also could appeal to Buffett, a Baird analyst says.
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) “is likely looking at a lot of small, regulated utilities that have a lot of growth on the table where his low cost of capital is an incredible advantage,” Morningstar's Mark Barnett says.
Feb. 27, 2014, 8:31 AM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) has bought another 1.13M shares in DaVita Healthcare (DVA) to take its total holding in the kidney dialysis company to 37.62M shares, or 17.7%.
- The investment is being led by Berkshire fund manager Ted Weschler rather than Warren Buffett.
- Last May, Berkshire agreed not to raise its stake above 25%, and not to push for board seats or launch a proxy fight.
- DaVita shares are +2.2% to $67.50.
Dec. 30, 2013, 5:28 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) agrees to acquire the flow improver business of Phillips 66 (PSX) in exchange for PSX stock Berkshire already owns; the specific number of shares will be determined by the share price at deal closing, expected sometime during H1 2014.
- The unit, Phillips Specialty Products, makes polymers designed to reduce drag and increase the flow potential in pipelines; Warren Buffett calls it "a high-quality business with consistently strong financial performance," and he plans to install Lubrizol CEO James Hambrick to oversee strategic direction.
- Berkshire owns a 27.2M-share stake in PSX, or 4.5% of outstanding shares; Reuters reports Berkshire will use ~19M shares, or ~$1.4B.
Oct. 16, 2013, 3:58 AM
- Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A, BRK.B) Marmon Group has agreed to acquire beverage dispense and merchandising businesses for £690M ($1.1B) from British engineering group IMI.
- Marmon is buying the beverage operations, which make valves for drink dispensers, even though it has been struggling as major customers delay capital investment. The merchandising unit makes marketing displays.
- The deal is expected to be completed early next year. (PR)
Oct. 10, 2013, 4:02 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A, BRK.B) MiTek Industries unit has acquired Kova Solutions, a provider of software that allows residential production builders and manufactured housing firms to monitor/manage their operations. Terms are undisclosed. (PR)
- MiTek already provides software for residential component manufacturers, to go with structural connectors, machinery, and engineering services. In July, the company bought Benson Industries, a maker of curtain wall systems for commercial high-rises.
Jul. 31, 2013, 10:07 AM
Jun. 6, 2013, 5:43 AMThe Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has blocked Heinz's (HNZ) proposed acquisition of organic baby food supplier Rafferty's Garden due to antitrust concerns. The deal would have resulted in "highly concentrated markets where barriers to entry and expansion are high," the regulator said. | 2 Comments
Jun. 3, 2013, 9:23 AM
BRK.A vs. ETF Alternatives
Berkshire Hathaway Inc is a conglomerate holding company owning subsidiaries engaged in a number of business activities, including property and casualty insurance and reinsurance, utilities and energy, finance, manufacturing, service and retailing.
Other News & PR