Thu, Apr. 23, 1:20 PM
- Restaurant stocks are catching the eyes of investors after strong reports from Domino's Pizza, Dunkin' Brands, and Cheesecake Factory set the tone.
- Some standouts on the day include BJ's Restaurants (BJRI +5.5%), Kona Grill (KONA +3.5%), Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD +2.5%), Ignite Restaurant Group (IRG +6.1%), Del Frisco's Restaurant Group (DFRG +4.7%), Jack in the Box (JACK +2.7%).
- The common theme in the sector is underlying traffic increases and some cost-cutting are helping to lift bottom lines.
- Previously: Dunkin' Brands +7% after earnings beat and guidance lift
- Previously: Pizza stocks rip gains after stellar Domino's quarter
Fri, Mar. 13, 6:05 PM
- Data center owner Equinix (NASDAQ:EQIX), real estate trust SL Green (NYSE:SLG), and apparel maker Hanesbrands (NYSE:HBI) will be joining the S&P 500 after the March 20 close. Medical distributor Henry Schein (NASDAQ:HSIC) will be joining after the March 17 close.
- Leaving the index are oil/gas producer Denbury Resources (NYSE:DNR), energy services provider Nabors (NYSE:NBR), beauty product maker Avon (NYSE:AVP), and medical device maker CareFusion (about to be acquired). Denbury, Nabors, and Avon will be joining the S&P MidCap 400, taking Equinix, SL Green, and Hanesbrands' spots.
- Also: Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) is taking Henry Schein's place in the S&P 400 on March 17, and Talmer Bancorp (NASDAQ:TLMR) Buffalo Wild Wings' spot in the S&P SmallCap 600.
- EQIX +2.1% AH. SLG +2%. HBI +3.7%. TLMR +3.6%. NBR -1.8%.
Wed, Mar. 4, 10:11 AM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.5%) will stop buying chickens raised with human antibiotics in a gradual process, according to a report from Reuters.
- An announcement by the company is expected later today.
- The development could be a "tipping point" in the poultry industry, notes industry insider Jonathan Kaplan.
- Shares of chicken-focused Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -1.5%) are lower - while Tyson Foods (TSN -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -0.6%), and Hormel (HRL -0.6%) could all be impacted by a heightened focus on the use of antibiotics with livestock.
- Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD -1.7%) is also on watch as a company that buys a fair amount of chicken from suppliers.
Thu, Feb. 5, 4:25 PM
- Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) reports same-store sales rose 6.5% at company-owned restaurants and gained 5.6% at franchised restaurant during Q4.
- Elevated chicken wing costs were a factor during the quarter.
- Average weekly sales +6.7% to $62.12K at company-owned restaurants.
- Average weekly sales +4.5% to $63.95K at franchised-owned outlets.
- Cost of sales ratio +80 bps to 30.6%.
- Labor costs ratio +110 bps to 31.1%.
- Store count: Company-owned restaurants +38 Q/Q to 491, franchised restaurants +3 to 591.
- Guidance: Through five weeks, Q1 comps are up over 11%.
- BWLD +1.0% AH to $182.09.
Nov. 19, 2014, 11:13 AM
- Wunderlich Securities backs its Buy rating on Buffao Wild Wings (BWLD +1.3%) and lifts its price target to $185.
- The restaurant chain was comping at a +5% rate for the first part of Q4 and has a price increase coming into play in a few weeks.
- On the expense side, Buffalo Wild Wings doesn't have to worry about the higher level of beef costs that are impacting many of its rivals.
Oct. 28, 2014, 9:13 AM
Oct. 28, 2014, 9:09 AM| Comment!
Oct. 27, 2014, 4:14 PM
- Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) reports same-store sales rose 6.0% at company-owned restaurants and gained 5.7% at franchised restaurant during Q3.
- The company says higher chicken wing costs were a factor during the quarter. A 3% menu price hike goes into effect at the end of November.
- Average weekly sales +7.3% to %59,643 at company-owned restaurants.
- Average weekly sales +4.5% to $61,586 at franchised-owned outlets.
- Cost of sales ratio -90 bps to 29.1%.
- Labor costs ratio +160 bps to 31.9%.
- Store count: Company-owned restaurants +14 to 463, franchised restaurants +9 to 588.
- Guidance: Q4 comps are trending at a 5.4% rate for company-owned restaurants and 5.1% at franchised locations.
- BWLD +7.7% AH to $144.10.
Oct. 27, 2014, 4:04 PM| Comment!
Oct. 6, 2014, 8:03 AM
- Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) is downgraded by Wedbush to a Neutral rating after sitting at Outperform.
- The investment firm reduces its price target on the restaurant chain operator to $135 from $175.
- Chicken wing commodity prices are a concern for Buffalo Wild Wings with the company seen as having limited upside potential to push through price hikes to consumers without a backlash.
- BWLD -0.5% premarket
Jul. 30, 2014, 12:46 PM
Jul. 30, 2014, 9:09 AM
Jul. 30, 2014, 7:31 AM
- A powerhouse quarter from Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) isn't enough to prevent a round of selling as investors focus on the somewhat soft guidance.
- The company expects earnings growth of 25% to 30% for the year vs. +36% consensus.
- Some retail analysts are quick to note the restaurant operator has been known to go light with its guidance in the past.
- There wasn't anything in CEO Sally Smith's comments during the earnings call on input costs that was overly alarming.
- Earnings call transcript
- BWLD -10.9% premarket to $149.00
Jul. 29, 2014, 5:41 PM
Jul. 29, 2014, 4:18 PM
- Buffalo Wild Wings (NASDAQ:BWLD) beats Q2 estimates on strong traffic numbers.
- Same-store sales rose 7.7% at company-owned restaurants and 6.5% at franchised outlets. Both marks are a significant improvement over the comp growth seen in Q1.
- The company saw its cost of sales fall compared to a year ago as chicken wing prices moderated and scale came into play.
- Q3 same-store sales are tracking at +8% after four weeks.
- BWLD -5.1% AH to give back some of the gains run up over the last 5 trading sessions.
Apr. 28, 2014, 5:44 PM
BWLD vs. ETF Alternatives
Buffalo Wild Wings Inc and itssubsidiaries operatesrestaurants as well as selling Buffalo Wild Wings and Rusty Taco restaurant franchises. The Company offersoffers dining and bar areas that provide distinct seating choices for sports fans and families.
Other News & PR