Apr. 10, 2014, 9:02 AM
- Wal-Mart's (WMT) plan to sell Wild Oats-branded organic food could catch the eye of food companies with a paranoid sense over the retail giant's scale.
- Organic food only accounts for 4% of total food sales in the U.S., but provides a strong pace of growth and healthy margins. Wal-Mart shouldering into the category could be disruptive.
- Food stocks: SENEA, SENEB, THS, NCRA, CPB, DOLE, MDLZ, GIS, NSRGY, KRFT, FLO, CAG, DF, SJM,DF, ANFI, JJSF, WWAV, UL, DANOY, PLATF, POST, K, PEP, DMND, PF, HAIN, BNNY
Apr. 3, 2014, 10:03 AM
Mar. 26, 2014, 10:45 AM
- The European Commission intends to propose new rules to regulate the production and selling of organic food.
- The changes could make it harder for companies to use the familiar organic food label on products in Europe.
- There's plenty of similar talk across the pond in the U.S. on the use of the words "organic" and "natural" on labels.
- Related stocks: SENEA, SENEB, THS, NCRA, CPB, DOLE, MDLZ, GIS, NSRGY, KRFT, TSN, FLO, CAG, DF, PPC, HRL, SJM, TSN, DF, ANFI, JJSF, PPC, WWAV, UL, DANOY, PLATF, POST, K, PEP, DMND, PF, HAIN, BNNY.
Mar. 20, 2014, 9:43 AM
- ConAgra Foods (CAG +0.7%) saw volume slip 3% during FQ3 in its consumer segment as shoppers pushed back on some of the higher prices the company showed.
- Results were boosted quite a bit during the quarter by the private-label business that Ralcorp brought into the fold.
- The earnings report from ConAgra looks a little stronger than General Mills due to some "pockets of strength" the company identified, whereas as execs with General Mills leaned rather heavily on the weather excuse.
- During the firm's earnings conference call, execs talked up the private-label business and discussed macroeconomic factors while skipping over some of the weather hyperbole.
Mar. 20, 2014, 7:31 AM
Mar. 20, 2014, 12:05 AM
Mar. 19, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 13, 2014, 1:20 PM
- Fresh food purchases at grocery stores continue to show higher growth rates than canned, packaged, and frozen food sales, and now account for 30% of all supermarket revenue..
- Organic sellers like Whole Foods Market (WFM -2.8%) account for some of the extra sales, but retail giants such as Wal-Mart (WMT -0.6%), Kroger (KR -0.7%), and Target (TGT -1.6%) are also broadening out their fresh food sections.
- Food companies on watch: SENEA, SENEB, THS, NCRA, CPB, DOLE, MDLZ, GIS, NSRGY, KRFT, TSN, FLO, CAG, DF, PPC, HRL, SJM.
Feb. 11, 2014, 9:10 AM
Feb. 11, 2014, 8:34 AM
Jan. 8, 2014, 8:23 AM
- Superior Court Judge James Kleinberg has issued a final ruling ordering Sherwin-Williams (SHW), NL Industries (NL) and ConAgra Grocery Products (CAG) to pay $1.15B to replace or contain lead paint in millions of homes in California.
- The verdict is $50M above Kleinberg's tentative ruling, which he made in December. ConAgra said at the time that it planned to appeal.
- The case was brought by 10 city and county governments in California, whose argument was that the lead is harmful to children. The substance has been banned in residential paint since 1978.
Jan. 7, 2014, 6:38 AM
- Despite lagging the S&P 500, food stocks had a strong year in 2013. We believe investors should remain selective in their allocation of capital by placing a greater emphasis on stock picking.
- Overall, in terms of themes for our packaged food/beverage coverage universe in 2014, we expect sluggish but gradually improving food volume trends, increased promotional intensity (funded by easing commodity costs and retailers fighting for traffic share) and a relatively active M&A environment.
- Accordingly, we prefer companies with solid organic growth prospects [Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR); Amira Nature Foods (ANFI); J & J Snack Foods Corp. (JJSF)], exposure to declining commodity costs [GMCR; Hormel Foods (HRL); The J.M. Smucker Company (SJM); Flowers Foods, Inc. (FLO)], exposure to company specific margin enhancing opportunities [FLO; GMCR, ConAgra Foods (CAG)] and ability to benefit from accretive M&A (SJM, JJSF and CAG).
- On the non-branded part of our coverage universe, Ingredion (INGR) is our top pick followed by Tyson Foods (TSN) and Dean Foods (DF).
Jan. 2, 2014, 11:58 AM
- Frozen food sellers plan to increase the marketing of their produce products this year as they try to drive home with consumers that they are a time-saving alternative to buying fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Myth-busting: Despite the stigma of buying frozen, in some cases more nutrients are locked into frozen veggies and fruits than fresh produce which has sat on trucks or in stores for days or weeks.
- The popularity of smoothies and home juicing has pushed up sales of frozen fruit over the last year.
- Related companies: CAG, NSRGY, GIS, DOLE, PF.
Dec. 19, 2013, 3:02 PM
- The rally in shares have ConAgra (CAG +5.6%) following its vibrant earnings report prompts S&P Capital IQ to move its rating down to Buy from Strong Buy with some of the upside getting priced in lickety-split.
- The investment firm thinks ConAgra received a little benefit from the timing of certain items which landed nicely in FQ2, but put FQ3 at risk of falling short.
Dec. 19, 2013, 9:58 AM
- ConAgra (CAG +5.3%) rallies after recording a tidy FQ2 earnings beat and issuing reassuring guidance.
- The company received a meaningful boost from the acquisition of Ralcorp Holdings during the period.
- There is a "cautious" tone from ConAgra about the near term due to some pricing and volume conditions in the industry.
Dec. 19, 2013, 7:32 AM
CAG vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR