- Over the last few years, management has been able to grow revenue and increase profitability. Yet in 2014, Calix's revenue has declined and profitability has suffered.
- The demand for high speed broadband services will continue. Yet outside of China, the roll-out of fiber optics will be gradual. This combined with several near-term issues will impact growth.
- In mid-2015, a large government broadband stimulus program will end. This program has been important to revenue growth over the last few years. Additionally, Cisco has entered the GPON market.
- Cisco has significant financial and human capital. Additionally, Cisco has in-depth knowledge of SDN which should help them be very competitive. Calix's U.S. operating segment should continue to struggle.
- International revenue will need to grow rapidly to offset U.S. issues. Yet, the international segment has also struggled. Calix's near-term growth issues will result in the company continuing to struggle.