Apr. 28, 2014, 10:52 AM
- Property & casualty insurers are bouncing from a tough Friday session which was led by declines in Chubb and Cincinnati Financial after tough Q1 results. Today's biggest gainer is United Insurance Holdings (UIHC +4.8%) - continuing a big run after being initiated with an Outperform rating at Wells Fargo.
- Aren't insurers supposed to be bought after a tough quarter for catastrophes as it means they can raise rates?
- Others: HCI Group (HCI +3.1%), Universal Insurance (UVE +3.5%), W.R. Berkley (WRB +1.2%), Travelers (TRV +1.6%), Allstate (ALL +1.3%), Chubb (CB +1.3%), and Cincinnati Financial (CINF +0.9%).
- ETFs: KIE, IAK, KBWP, KBWI
Apr. 25, 2014, 12:11 PM
- Chubb (CB -2.3%) and Cincinnati Financial (CINF -2.8%) are leading a weak P&C insurance sector today after reporting claims from the severe winter weather worse than most had anticipated.
- Sandler O'Neill's Paul Newsome finds the poor underwriting performance at Chubb "interesting" considering the strong results posted by Travelers earlier this week.
- The KBW Insurance Index is off 0.65% today, -3.7% YTD. Chubb is down 7.2% on the year, and Cincinnati Financial -7.7%.
- Previously: Winter weather takes bite out of Chubb's Q1 profit
- Previously: Winter weather hits Cincinnati Financial Q1 profits
CINF vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR