SA News • Mon, Nov. 10
There are no Transcripts on CMDT.
Mon, Nov. 10, 2:25 PM
- The PowerShares DB Optimum Yield Diversified Commodity Strategy Portfolio (NASDAQ:PDBC) offers broad commodity futures contracts through a Cayman Islands-based unit, which allows its investors to avoid K-1 tax forms.
- This is a key feature to the fund; K-1 forms can be a burden for investors as they potentially delay filings and may require investors to report and pay taxes on gains annually, even if the security has not been sold.
- "PDBC provides broad and efficient exposure to commodities with the added benefit of eliminating Scheduled K-1 requirements," said Lorraine Wang, Invesco PowerShares Head of Global ETF Products & Research, in a press release.
- This is the 4th actively managed ETF from Invesco (NYSE:IVZ), which now offers 165 funds for investors.
- Other broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSP, GSC, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, COMT, CSCB, CSCR
Sat, Nov. 1, 10:15 AM
- With most asset classes at or near record levels, no one seems to want commodities - oil is at just $80 per barrel, gold just took out a multi-year low, and corn is off more than 50% from its 2012 high. Contrarians may want to take a look, writes Andrew Bary in Barron's, noting commodity markets tend to be self-correcting - lower prices cool production and stimulate demand.
- Low rates help too: The opportunity cost of holding commodities, and the price of rolling forward contracts is reduced.
- Bary also reminds that much of the institutional money which was in love with commodities in 2008 (with oil at $140 per barrel) has exited. The Harvard endowment, for instance, has scaled back its commodity exposure to zero from 8% six years ago.
- Another sign of the times: Fidelity cut direct commodity exposure in its Freedom target-date mutual funds last year, with the Fidelity Freedom 2030 fund (MUTF:FFFEX) dropping its commodity weighting to 1.2% from 7.5%.
- Board commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSP, GSC, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, CSCB, COMT, CSCR
Thu, Oct. 16, 2:56 PM
- The iShares Commodities Select Strategy ETF (NASDAQ:COMT) currently holds 21 futures contracts and stock from 180 commodity producers, and the fund manager will use a futures "roll process" to minimize the negative impacts of contango, and will seek to benefit from backwardation, where possible.
- The fee of 0.48% per year compares favorably with many actively managed ETFs.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSP, GSC, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, CSCR
Mon, Oct. 6, 3:49 PM
- Going higher without fail on nearly a daily basis since Memorial Day, the dollar (UUP -1.2%) is selling off hard today, likely helping to light up the commodity sector (DBC +1.4%) bright green.
- Among individual currencies, the euro (FXE +1.2%), loonie (FXC +1.2%), aussie (FXA +1.3%), swissie (FXF +0.7%), pound (FXB +0.5%), and yen (FXY +1.1%) are all posting sizable gains.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, FORX, UUPT, UDNT, USDU
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, CSCR
Tue, Sep. 30, 12:07 PM
- The early decline in WTI crude oil has accelerated sharply over the past few minutes, and it's now off 3.5% to $91.25 per barrel, about inline with the lowest pricing seen this year. USO -2.9%
- Moving alongside is heating oil (UHN -1.1%) and gasoline (UGA -3.1%).
- Broad energy ETFs: DBE, RJN, JJE, ONG, RGRE, UBN
- Checking other commodities: Silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) is down 3.4%, Copper (NYSEARCA:JJC) is lower by 1.3%, and Wheat (NYSEARCA:WEAT) is off 1.8%.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, FTGC, DEE, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, CSCB, CSCR
Fri, Mar. 14, 3:48 PM
- US Steel (X -1.3%) is downgraded to Underperform from Neutral at Credit Suisse due to relative valuation and expected lower iron ore pricing in H2 2014.
- Equity prices, and particularly US Steel, seem to be overlooking recent commodity price weakness as a short-term destock related phenomenon - perhaps not surprising given the 2012 collapse and rebound in iron ore prices - but Credit Suisse believes that, unlike 2012, structural changes to the global ferrous supply/demand balance through mid-year will see commodity prices settle at a lower level in H2 than they did after the 2012 destock shock.
- Also, the firm thinks US Steel's relative outperformance vs. international peers including ArcelorMittal (AT) likely is due to EM/DM exposure trade, but the gap will close at some point.
- ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, CFD, CTF, RGRC, GSP, GSC, LSC, DEE, DJCI, UCI, CMD, DDP, DYY, BCM, UCD, FTGC, CMDT, SBV, DPU, CSCB, CSCR
Tue, Feb. 4, 10:06 AM
- After losing 10% in 2013 while the MSCI World Index of stocks gained 24%, the Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index made up some ground in January, eking out a small advance while the MSCI index slid 3.7%.
- But as rallies go, it was a pretty lame one. The DJ-UBS index's biggest weighting is for natural gas at nearly 14.5%, and gas futures surged 18% amid the coldest January in memory. Spring will come soon though, and then what?
- Second in the index weighting is gold which gained 3% in January - not the greatest bounce considering a 29% dive in 2013.
- Commodities tied more closely to global economic activity - oil and industrial metals - make up 42% of the sector's weighting and they were pretty much uniformly in the red.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, CFD, CTF, RGRC, GSC, LSC, GSP, DEE, DJCI, DYY, DDP, BCM, CMD, UCI, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, FTGC, CSCB, CSCR
Dec. 31, 2013, 1:21 PM
- Nearly 8 years after the launch of the PowerShares DB Commodity Tracking Fund (DBC), the firm filed paperwork for an actively managed version of the fund, offering exposure to a diversified set of commodities through futures contracts.
- By investing in 14 heavily traded sectors of the commodity market, this fund hopes to hedge against individual sector falls, creating consistent return for investors.
- DBC is down about 7.5% this year as equities stole the spotlight in 2013, but with $5.5 billion in assets under management it has considerable stability and did exceedingly well in years where equities fell.
- Other broad commodity ETFs: DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, CFD, CTF, RGRC, GSC, LSC, GSP, DEE, DDP, DYY, DJCI, CMD, BCM, UCI, UCD, SBV, CMDT, DPU, FTGC, CSCR, CSCB
Dec. 27, 2013, 4:29 AM
- The WSJ shines a light onto "shadow warehouses," a hidden system of facilities that store tens of millions of tons of aluminum, copper, nickel and zinc across the globe for banks, hedge funds and commodity merchants.
- The warehouses operate outside the London Metal Exchange's system, are unregulated, and don't provide details of their holdings. As a result, it's unclear how much metal is held in the shadow system. This lack of visibility could cause major price swings.
- The WSJ article follows allegations that warehousing companies have artificially boosted the price of metals, particularly aluminum.
- Companies that operate metals warehouses include Goldman Sachs (GS), Glencore Xstrata (GLCNF) and JPMorgan (JPM), although the latter is looking to sell its commodities unit.
- Relevant tickers include VALE, AA, AWC, KALU, MNSF, CENX, NOR, BHP, RIO, ACH.
- ETFs: DBC, JJC, DBB, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, CFD, JJN, JJT, BOM, RGRC, CPER, CTF, RJZ, GSC, LSC, GSP, JJU, DEE, BDD, BOS, JJM, DYY, DDP, DJCI, LD, CMD, BCM, CUPM, UCI, RGRI, UCD, UBM, FOIL, BDG, LEDD, CMDT, SBV, USMI, DPU, NINI, FTGC, CSCB, CSCR, HEVY
Aug. 21, 2013, 11:17 AM
- Up and trading is the iShares DJ-UBS Roll Select Commodity Index Trust (CMDT), a commodity ETF aimed at negating the negative roll associated with owning futures contracts when markets are in contango.
- A market in contango has later-dated contracts more expensive than near-term ones, making the rolling over of expiring contracts a costly process. Markets in "backwardation" have later-dated contracts less expensive than near-term ones, and the roll can add to a fund's performance. CMDT selects those contracts exhibiting the least contango or most backwardation.
- One competing fund, USCI, has outperformed the DBC by 150 bps this year.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DJP, GSP, LSC, RJI, GSC, GCC, GSG, DBC, DPU, DJCI, UCI, USCI, DYY, UCD, DEE, CMD, DDP, RGRC, CTF, CFD CSCR, CSCB.
There are no StockTalks on this stock yet.
CMDT vs. ETF Alternatives
iShares Dow Jones-UBS Roll Select Commodity Index Trust seeks investment results that correspond generally, but are not necessarily identical, to the performance of the Dow Jones-UBS Roll Select Commodity Index Total Return (the “Index”), which reflects the returns on a fully collateralized investment in the Dow Jones-UBS Roll Select Commodity Index Excess Return, before the payment of the expenses and liabilities of the Trust.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR