Thu, Mar. 19, 10:34 AM
- According to Bloomberg, major providers of Medicare coverage like Humana (HUM +0.9%), WellCare (WCG +0.6%) and Centene (CNC +1.4%) are high on the acquisition radar of large insurers who have relatively modest exposure to the rapidly growing Obamacare-stoked space. Likely suitors would be Aetna (AET +1.3%) and Anthem (ANTM +0.3%).
- There hasn't been much M&A activity among health insurers due to the uncertainties surrounding the implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Now that its implications are better understood, the number of deals should perk up.
- No bargains are out there, though. S&P's index of health insurers galloped 57% last year. The current valuations for Humana, WellCare and Centene are $26.9B, $4.1B and $8.3B, respectively, all at record levels since at least 2007.
- Anthem CFO Wayne DeVeydt says his firm will continue to make smaller deals although a larger purchase is not out of the question. Other firms declined to comment.
- Leerink Partners analyst Ana Gupte says a likely scenario is consolidation among the five largest health insurers: UnitedHealth Group (UNH +0.8%), Anthem, Aetna, Cigna (CI +0.6%) and Humana.
- Aging baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, are driving the increase in Medicare enrollment. Membership is expected to rise to 68.4M in 2023, up more than 25% from this year's 54.4M. Medicaid is projected to add 9.3M people over the same time frame.
Mon, Jan. 26, 12:48 PM
- Centene (CNC +1.3%) acquires Eugene-based Agate Resources, a diversified holding company that offers a variety of healthcare products and services to Oregon residents.
- Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff says, "We view the Oregon CCO (coordinated care organization) model as consistent with our philosophy that healthcare is best delivered locally. Agate has demonstrated success working closely with providers and key community stakeholders and we are committed to maintaining that approach in the future."
- The transaction, expected to close in Q3, will be accretive to earnings in the first year following the close. Financial terms are undisclosed.
Jul. 18, 2014, 10:23 AM
Dec. 12, 2013, 8:13 AM
- Centene (CNC) agrees to acquire a ~68% interest in U.S. Medical Management, a provider of in-home health services, for $200M in cash and stock as it continues to expand its stable of services.
- In conjunction with the deal, CNC also is forming a new healthcare enterprise holding company that will connect it and other health solution providers.
- CNC expects the deal to add $0.02-$0.05 to EPS next year and $0.20-$0.25 in 2015, and add annual revenue of $220M-$240M.
Jan. 14, 2013, 9:15 AM
Jul. 9, 2012, 9:45 AMAmerigroup (AGP) +38% and WellPoint (WLP) +3.8% following news of the the latter buying Amerigroup for $4.46B. The deal is a big bet on the expansion of Medicaid, and the combined firm will serve over 4.5M beneficiaries of state-sponsored healthcare plans. Other Medicaid insurers are also rising, including Wellcare (WCG +13.3%) and Centene (CNC +16.1%) | Comment!
CNC vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR