Jul. 21, 2014, 8:09 AM
- Campbell Soup (NYSE:CPB) says it expects its 2015 performance to come in below its long-term targets for EPS growth of 4%-6% and sales growth of 3%-4%, although sales are expected to improve in its fiscal year that begins Aug. 4.
- CPB reaffirms FY 2014 guidance, expecting growth of ~3% in net sales, which equates to ~$8.29B and in-line with analyst consensus; sees EPS growing at the low end of $2.53-$2.58 guidance vs. $2.53 consensus.
- CPB plans to provide specific FY 2015 guidance when it reports Q4 results on Sept. 8.
- CPB also anticipates resuming share repurchases in the new fiscal year.
Jul. 16, 2014, 2:20 PM
- Campbell Soup (CPB +1.2%) fits the profile of a company that Warren Buffett might be interesting in acquiring, according to writer Gene Marcial.
- Besides the obvious Buffett filters (modest P-E ratio, dividend backstop, strong brands), Campbell Soup still has room for margin improvement in the right hands, note industry watchers.
Jul. 2, 2014, 10:15 AM
- Food companies should get ahead of the curve by creating gluten-free children's food in the U.S., says Mintel.
- The market research firm notes a gluten-free trend in Europe which started with infant food has quickly moved into children's food.
- Kellogg (K) is already in the game with a gluten-free version of Rice Krispies which has generating $9.2M in sales in two years.
- Related stocks: POST, SJM, GIS, CPB, KRFT, MDLZ, PF.
Jun. 30, 2014, 1:04 PM
- A measure of corn inventories came in higher than expected today sending corn futures to their sharpest drop in close to a year.
- The USDA says inventories were 3.854B bushels on June 1 vs. 3.723B forecast and 2.766B a year ago.
- High corn prices has been a concern in the food sector (GIS, K, POST, KO, PEP, PPC, TSN, CPB, SJM) where sellers have warned on their ability to pass on the higher costs on to consumers.
- USDA crop report
- Related EFTs: CORN, JJG, GRU
Jun. 25, 2014, 5:09 PM
Jun. 17, 2014, 8:48 AM
Jun. 9, 2014, 9:53 AM
- Annie's (BNNY +1.5%) is being teed up by analysts on Wall Street as a potential takeover candidate.
- The company boasts a strong brand in the organic sector, while shares have peeled off 33% YTD due in part to cost pressures.
- Campbell Soup (CPB), Nestle (NSRGY), and General Mills (GIS) all fit the profile of a food giant that could make a run at Annie's.
May. 27, 2014, 7:28 AM
- A $6.4B offer by Pilgrim Pride's (PPC) to buy Hillshire Brands (HSH) could rattle the food sector.
- For starters, the deal could spoil Hillshire's offer on the table to buy Pinnacle Foods (PF).
- The quick analyst take on a PPC-HSH combination is favorable with the companies focused in different areas (chicken vs. packaged meat) which could lead to easy access to new distribution channels.
- Premarket: HSH +22.9% to $45.49, PF -5.3% to $31.50.
- Also on merger watch in the food sector: THS, SJM, GIS, KRFT, CPB, ADM, BGS, RAH, HAIN, K CAG
May. 20, 2014, 8:44 AM
- Credit Suisse takes its rating on Campbell Soup (CPB) all the way down to Underperform.
- Campbell threw a scare into analysts and investors yesterday when it reported weak demand for soup during a quarter influenced by wintry weather. CS takes a narrow view on the chances that soup will turn into a growth category again.
May. 19, 2014, 9:13 AM
May. 19, 2014, 8:24 AM
- Shares of Campbell Soup (CPB) are down sharply in early trading after the company sees margins crumble in FQ3 and cuts its growth outlook.
- Soup sales were disappointing for the company despite the extended cold snap across the U.S. during the winter.
- CPB -5.5% premarket
May. 19, 2014, 7:14 AM
- Campbell Soup (CPB) reports it grew volume and mix by 2% in FQ3.
- Segment revenue growth: U.S. Simple Meals +7% to $672M; Global Baking and Snacking -1% to $564M; International Simple Meals and Beverages -17% to $186M; U.S. Beverages -4% to $190M; Bolthouse and Foodservice +4% to $358M.
- The company's gross margin rate fell 170 bps to 34.3% due in part to higher promotional spending.
- Full-year sales growth guidance is set at 3% vs. 4%-5% prior.
May. 19, 2014, 7:01 AM
May. 18, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 12, 2014, 7:13 AM
- A merger between Hillshire Brands and Pinnacle Foods could kickstart the consolidation frenzy in the food industry analysts have been forecasting.
- The sector has been tapped to see a high rate of mergers and buyouts due to the significant synergies that could be unleashed through combinations.
- On watch: THS, SJM, GIS, KRFT, CPB, ADM, BGS, RAH, HAIN, K, CAG
Apr. 15, 2014, 9:48 AM
- Food prices increased in March, according to the latest report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- The category showed a 0.4% M/M and 1.7% Y/Y gain during the month to beat expectations.
- Food stocks: SENEA, SENEB, THS, NCRA, CPB, DOLE, MDLZ, GIS, NSRGY, KRFT, FLO, CAG, DF, SJM,DF, ANFI, JJSF, WWAV, UL, DANOY, PLATF, POST, K, PEP, DMND, PF, HAIN, BNNY
CPB vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR