Tue, Jan. 27, 3:42 PM
- Apparel retailers and manufacturers could see lower costs this year as a strong dollar goes a long way toward lowering manufacturing and purchasing expenses overseas.
- Companies which manufacture overseas or buy from global suppliers to sell largely in the U.S. are in the best position to boost their bottom lines.
- Cotton prices have also moved in the right direction for the sector.
- Another factor is the much cleaner inventory position many apparel retailers and department store chains find themselves in heading into the spring selling season.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, GIII, SQBG, HBI, VRA, ICON, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, BONT, GES, URBN.
Dec. 19, 2014, 9:29 AM
- The Pacific Maritime Association and International Longshore & Warehouse Union are far apart in their negotiations on a new labor contract, according to reports.
- The ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles have seen a loss of productivity due to worker slowdown actions as the stalemate continues.
- FedEx (NYSE:FDX) warned yesterday that deliveries to retailers have been delayed more than expected. Both FedEx and UPS (NYSE:UPS) face extra logistical costs due to the shipping delays and could see a slight dip in total volume.
- Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU) is one of the few retailers to put a number to the shipment backup, saying Q4 revenue would be impacted by $10M.
- Other companies viewed as having some risk associated with the slowdown include Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Ann (NYSE:ANN), Macy's (NYSE:M), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS), Ralph Lauren (NYSE:RL), and Carter's (NYSE:CRI).
Dec. 18, 2014, 7:01 AM
- Apparel prices fell 1.1% in the U.S. during November, according to yesterday's CPI report.
- The drop followed a 0.2% slide in apparel prices for October.
- Retail analysts note that a higher mix of e-commerce sales and the lingering promotional haze threaten margin expansion in the sector, despite overall tighter inventory control.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN.
Dec. 4, 2014, 10:31 AM
- Shares of Destination Maternity (DEST -7.8%) slide after the company misses earnings estimates.
- A frank assessment from the company on a misfire with its assortment to millennial-aged moms-to-be strikes a bit of a chord across the apparel and department store sector.
- Many of the earnings hits and misses this quarter have been tied to on-trend or off-trend assortments. A millennial group which is hard to nail down is becoming a bigger part of that puzzle.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN, TJX.
Nov. 13, 2014, 5:59 PM
Nov. 6, 2014, 1:27 PM
- Apparel seller Ann issued a warning today on the impact of labor uncertainty at West Coast ports as part of its Q4 guidance.
- The retailer expects $8M in extra air freight costs due to product shipment delays.
- There's also been some reports of delays at ports in the Seattle and Tacoma area which account for 16% of container cargo traffic on the West Coast.
- Analysts fret that more companies will resort to air freight to ensure stores are stocked in front of the Black Friday rush.
- Apparel and footwear stocks: SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, KATE, ANN, PERY, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL.
Oct. 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
- Labor issues and a shortage of trucking equipment at the critical port complex in the Long Beach, California region threaten to disrupt shipments of holiday products to retailers.
- Delays are running up to two or three weeks, according to port officials.
- What to watch: Retailers potentially impacted by the port turmoil include Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Macy's (NYSE:M), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), Ralph Lauren (NYSE:RL), American Eagle Outfitter (NYSE:AEO), Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN), and Carter's (NYSE:CRI).
Oct. 23, 2014, 9:10 AM
Oct. 23, 2014, 6:52 AM
Oct. 23, 2014, 6:27 AM
Oct. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAL, AB, ACAT, AEP, ALK, ALV, ALXN, ARG, ASPS, AVT, BBW, BC, BCC, BHE, BKU, BMS, CAB, CAM, CAT, CCE, CELG, CFX, CHKP, CLI, CMCSA, CMS, CRI, CRS, CS, CSH, CVE, CWEI, DAN, DGX, DLX, DNKN, DO, DPS, EQM, EQT, FAF, GM, GMT, GPI, GRUB, HERO, HUB.B, IMAX, IVC, JAH, JAKK, JBLU, JNS, KKR, LAZ, LLY, LO, LSTR, LTM, LUV, MDP, MHO, MINI, MJN, MMM, MTRN, NLSN, NOK, NUE, NWE, ORI, OSIS, OSTK, OXY, PCP, PENN, PHM, PLD, POT, PRLB, PTEN, QSII, RCI, RCL, RS, RTN, RYL, SIAL, SILC, SJR, SLAB, SONS, SQNS, STC, TDY, TROW, UA, UAL, UFS, UNP, USG, UTEK, WCC, WSO, YNDX, ZMH
Oct. 8, 2014, 10:04 AM| Comment!
Aug. 21, 2014, 5:05 PM
Aug. 14, 2014, 3:38 PM
- Tiger Global Management was active in buying and exiting positions in consumers stocks over the last quarter, according to th hedge fund's most recent filing.
- New positions: Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX), Vera Bradley (OTC:VERA), Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO).
- Increased: 21st Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA) to 19.26M shares; Restoration Hardware (NYSE:RH) to 3.193M shares.
- Maintained: Burger King (NYSE:BKW) at 7.2M shares, MasterCard (NYSE:MC) at 3.44M shares, Dollar General (NYSE:DG) at 7.893M shares.
- Exits: SodaStream (NASDAQ:SODA), Kate Spade (NYSE:KATE), Carter (NYSE:CRI).
- SEC Form 13F
Jul. 24, 2014, 6:23 AM
Jul. 23, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAL, ABC, ALK, ALXN, ARG, ASPS, BBW, BC, BCC, BHE, BKU, BMS, BMY, BPOP, BSX, CAB, CAM, CAT, CCE, CELG, CLF, CLFD, CLI, CMS, COG, CRI, CRY, CSH, CWEI, DAN, DFT, DGX, DHI, DLX, DNKN, DO, DPS, DST, ECA, EQM, EQT, F, FAF, FLIR, GM, GNTX, GPI, GPK, GRUB, HOT, HSY, IMAX, IMS, IQNT, ISSI, IVC, JAH, JBLU, KEM, KKR, LAZ, LLY, LTM, LUV, MHO, MMM, MTH, MTRN, NBL, NDAQ, NOK, NUE, NWE, O, ORI, OSTK, PCP, PDS, PENN, PHM, PNK, POT, PRLB, PTEN, QSII, RCI, RCL, RDWR, RS, RTIX, RTN, SCHL, SFE, SIAL, SQNS, SUI, SVU, SXC, TDY, TROW, TWI, UA, UAL, UFS, UNP, USG, VAC, VDSI, VIVO, WAB, WCC, WIT, WYN, ZMH
CRI vs. ETF Alternatives
Carter's Inc is a branded marketer in the United States of apparel for babies and young children. It operates in five business segments: Carter's wholesale, Carter's retail, OshKosh retail, OshKosh wholesale, and international.
Other News & PR