Fri, Feb. 20, 10:54 AM
- Crown Media Holdings (NASDAQ:CRWN) has given back some gains after its Q4 earnings report, but is still up significantly, +3.7%.
- The Hallmark cable operator posted heavy gains in ad revenue along with programming costs that went against the tide, declining 6%.
- A rebranded Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel drew higher ratings alongside a price increase to boost ad revenues.
- Revenue breakdown: Advertising (including by Hallmark Cards), $111.1M (up 14.2%); subscriber fees, $20.3M (down 1.4%); other revenue of $2.9M (up 408%).
- Non-affiliate programming cost slipped to $32.7M from $35.2M, and the company wrote off $2.5M in programming.
- Press release
Fri, Feb. 20, 8:36 AM
Tue, Jan. 20, 8:44 AM| Comment!
Nov. 11, 2014, 7:24 AM
- The FCC votes to uphold a previous ruling by its Media Bureau covering the access by third parties to pay-TV contracts.
- In-person access to the information will open up on November 17 unless programmers win a new court order.
- FCC statement (.pdf)
- Related stocks: DIS, CBS, AMCX, TWX, VIAB, SNI, FOXA, CMCSA, CRWN.
Nov. 7, 2014, 8:35 AM| Comment!
Sep. 30, 2014, 8:07 AM
- Cowen Research says the trend of sluggish TV ratings has continued through Q3.
- The investment firm estimates broadcast viewers in the key 18-49 year old demographic fell 8% Y/Y (ex. Thursday night football) last week on a live+3 reading.
- There's growing concern in the sector that more advertising dollars will float to digital channels due to the ratings slump.
- Related stocks: CBS, CMCSA, DIS, FOXA, AMCX, VIA, SNI, CRWN, MSG.
Sep. 19, 2014, 12:16 PM
- A study sponsored by A+E maintains that TV viewers aren't perturbed by a disabled fast-forward option when watching shows on video-on-demand.
- The interesting conclusion comes right as major TV networks (DIS, CMCSA, CBS, FOXA, TWX, AMCX, VIA, SNI, MSG, CRWN) are looking to push Live+7 ratings in order to grab more advertising eyeballs.
- The switch to Live+7 and disabled VOD fast-forwarding is seen as a revenue-saver for the sector with traditional TV viewing in decline.
Aug. 1, 2014, 8:39 AM
May. 2, 2014, 9:24 AM
Apr. 29, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Broadcast network dollar volume ordered at the media industry's Upfront meetings will fall 2% this year, forecasts JP Morgan.
- Cable network revenue is expected to rise 3%.
- Last year, Upfront broadcast revenue fell 2.1% to $9.1B and cable revenue rose 5% to $9.8B.
- Stratification within the cable sector will benefit the top-rated networks, according to buyers.
- Related stocks: DIS, FOXA, CBS, CMCSA, DISCA, SNI, MSG, AMCX, VIAB, CRWN, TWX, OUTD
Apr. 15, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Aereo gets its day in the Supreme Court next week as it takes on a powerful group of broadcasters (DIS, CMCSA, CBS, FOXA) and the U.S. Solicitor General's office.
- Legal experts are deeply divided on which direction the court will rule in what could be a landmark case for the media industry. Justice Ginsburg is expected to side with the broadcasters and agree that Aereo violates copyright law, while Justice Breyer is tapped to side with Aereo. The other 7 justices are considered a bit of a tossup.
- What to watch: A win by Aereo could lead to a pricing war in the pay-TV industry (CHTR, TWC, CVC, DISH, DTV) due to the low monthly fee ($8-$12/month) it charges to customers. A thriving Aereo could also prompt one of the major providers to unbundle its network packages to move to a la carte pricing. Content providers (DISCA, AMCX, VIAB, SNI, TWX, CRWN,MSG) will be watching the developments closely.
Apr. 11, 2014, 5:37 PM
Mar. 24, 2014, 8:28 AM
- Shares of Comcast (CMCSA) move higher in early trading after a report breaks on advanced talks the company is having with Apple on a streaming TV service.
- Speculation on a Comcast-Apple partnership for an over-the-top video service has been blowing in the wind for quite a while with Apple needing a managed service to deliver an online TV product. Analysts think if deal talks stall, it will be over which companies retains the most control over the customer relationship with the new service.
- Sony (SNE) is the company which has made the boldest move toward an online TV service and will be watching the Apple-Comcast flirtation closely.
- The development could also have some bearing on TV networks (CBS, DIS, AMCX, TWX, FOXA, VIAB, DISCA, MSG, SNI, CRWN) which could benefit if Apple comes knocking on their doors for rights to popular channels.
- CMCSA +1.1% premarket
Feb. 21, 2014, 8:44 AM
Jan. 2, 2014, 1:12 PM
- AMC (AMCX) rode hit shows Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead to a 18% gain in viewers during 2013 as the network surged past a number of networks lacking a water cooler show.
- Animal Planet (DISCA) and the Hallmark Channel (CRWN) were two other networks which saw viewership grow at a double-digit clip for the year.
- Two of the biggest losers for the year were election-deprived Fox News (FOXA), down 13%, and ABC Family (DIS) which lost 11% of its total audience from a year ago.
Aug. 23, 2013, 5:30 PM
CRWN vs. ETF Alternatives
Crown Media Holdings Inc owns and operates pay television networks for families through its channels: Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. It features series such as Golden Girls, The Middle, Frasier and Home and Family.
Other News & PR