SA News • Tue, Jan. 20
Crown Media Could Be The Top Holiday Stock For Christmas Season
- The company reported strong third-quarter results.
- Countdown to Christmas should provide strong advertising growth.
- Shift of original programming ramps up with three original shows in 2015.
- Rebrand of Hallmark Movie Channel and shift of Hallmark Hall of Fame programming provides further upside.
Crown Media Set To Boost Advertising And Subscription Revenue With Recent Transformation
- Hallmark Hall of Fame movies moving to Hallmark Channel.
- Original programming performing well.
- Strong lineup of Christmas movies now spans two networks for increased viewership.
Tue, Jan. 20, 8:44 AM| Comment!
Nov. 11, 2014, 7:24 AM
- The FCC votes to uphold a previous ruling by its Media Bureau covering the access by third parties to pay-TV contracts.
- In-person access to the information will open up on November 17 unless programmers win a new court order.
- FCC statement (.pdf)
- Related stocks: DIS, CBS, AMCX, TWX, VIAB, SNI, FOXA, CMCSA, CRWN.
Nov. 7, 2014, 8:35 AM| Comment!
Sep. 30, 2014, 8:07 AM
- Cowen Research says the trend of sluggish TV ratings has continued through Q3.
- The investment firm estimates broadcast viewers in the key 18-49 year old demographic fell 8% Y/Y (ex. Thursday night football) last week on a live+3 reading.
- There's growing concern in the sector that more advertising dollars will float to digital channels due to the ratings slump.
- Related stocks: CBS, CMCSA, DIS, FOXA, AMCX, VIA, SNI, CRWN, MSG.
Sep. 19, 2014, 12:16 PM
- A study sponsored by A+E maintains that TV viewers aren't perturbed by a disabled fast-forward option when watching shows on video-on-demand.
- The interesting conclusion comes right as major TV networks (DIS, CMCSA, CBS, FOXA, TWX, AMCX, VIA, SNI, MSG, CRWN) are looking to push Live+7 ratings in order to grab more advertising eyeballs.
- The switch to Live+7 and disabled VOD fast-forwarding is seen as a revenue-saver for the sector with traditional TV viewing in decline.
Aug. 1, 2014, 8:39 AM
May. 2, 2014, 9:24 AM
Apr. 29, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Broadcast network dollar volume ordered at the media industry's Upfront meetings will fall 2% this year, forecasts JP Morgan.
- Cable network revenue is expected to rise 3%.
- Last year, Upfront broadcast revenue fell 2.1% to $9.1B and cable revenue rose 5% to $9.8B.
- Stratification within the cable sector will benefit the top-rated networks, according to buyers.
- Related stocks: DIS, FOXA, CBS, CMCSA, DISCA, SNI, MSG, AMCX, VIAB, CRWN, TWX, OUTD
Apr. 15, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Aereo gets its day in the Supreme Court next week as it takes on a powerful group of broadcasters (DIS, CMCSA, CBS, FOXA) and the U.S. Solicitor General's office.
- Legal experts are deeply divided on which direction the court will rule in what could be a landmark case for the media industry. Justice Ginsburg is expected to side with the broadcasters and agree that Aereo violates copyright law, while Justice Breyer is tapped to side with Aereo. The other 7 justices are considered a bit of a tossup.
- What to watch: A win by Aereo could lead to a pricing war in the pay-TV industry (CHTR, TWC, CVC, DISH, DTV) due to the low monthly fee ($8-$12/month) it charges to customers. A thriving Aereo could also prompt one of the major providers to unbundle its network packages to move to a la carte pricing. Content providers (DISCA, AMCX, VIAB, SNI, TWX, CRWN,MSG) will be watching the developments closely.
Apr. 11, 2014, 5:37 PM
Mar. 24, 2014, 8:28 AM
- Shares of Comcast (CMCSA) move higher in early trading after a report breaks on advanced talks the company is having with Apple on a streaming TV service.
- Speculation on a Comcast-Apple partnership for an over-the-top video service has been blowing in the wind for quite a while with Apple needing a managed service to deliver an online TV product. Analysts think if deal talks stall, it will be over which companies retains the most control over the customer relationship with the new service.
- Sony (SNE) is the company which has made the boldest move toward an online TV service and will be watching the Apple-Comcast flirtation closely.
- The development could also have some bearing on TV networks (CBS, DIS, AMCX, TWX, FOXA, VIAB, DISCA, MSG, SNI, CRWN) which could benefit if Apple comes knocking on their doors for rights to popular channels.
- CMCSA +1.1% premarket
Feb. 21, 2014, 8:44 AM
Jan. 2, 2014, 1:12 PM
- AMC (AMCX) rode hit shows Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead to a 18% gain in viewers during 2013 as the network surged past a number of networks lacking a water cooler show.
- Animal Planet (DISCA) and the Hallmark Channel (CRWN) were two other networks which saw viewership grow at a double-digit clip for the year.
- Two of the biggest losers for the year were election-deprived Fox News (FOXA), down 13%, and ABC Family (DIS) which lost 11% of its total audience from a year ago.
Aug. 23, 2013, 5:30 PM
Jul. 11, 2013, 5:30 PM
Jun. 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
CRWN vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR