Fri, Mar. 6, 3:23 PM
- SAF Capital says discussions with "various market participants" has led it to believe there are "multiple parties interested in acquiring" Cash America (CSH +5.7%) in a "take-private" transaction.
- SAF says it maintains its view that CSH can generate higher returns for shareholders via an aggressive public recapitalization, and says the company is not sufficiently taking advantage of the opportunity to create shareholder value via open market share repurchases.
Mon, Feb. 9, 12:48 PM
- Complaining that payday lenders have become too expert at working their way around state laws aimed at clamping down on usurious short-term loans, the Feds are about to get involved for the first time, with the CFPB set to release a first draft of rules targeting payday lenders.
- At the center of the new regulations - a requirement that lenders assess whether borrowers can actually repay the loans at the end of their short periods. The data suggest few can, which leaves borrowers with no choice but to roll over loans, accept new fees, or taking out new loans altogether. The CFPB found borrowers took out a median of 10 loans over a 12-month period, with median fees of $458, median amount borrowed of $350M. More than 80% of loans were rolled over or renewed within two weeks - manna to the lenders, and the bureau is now taking dead aim.
- World Acceptance (WRLD -2.4%), Cash America (CSH -1%), Regional Management (RM -1.3%), First Cash Financial (FCFS -0.7%)
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:39 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 12:48 PM
Jun. 13, 2014, 10:26 AM
Apr. 10, 2014, 12:45 PM
Mar. 14, 2014, 12:21 PM
- World Acceptance Corp. (WRLD +3.9%) is bouncing from yesterday's plunge on its receipt of a civil investigative demand (CID) from the CFPB, but today it's the turn of Springleaf Financial (LEAF -4.8%) and Santander Consumer (SC -1.3%) to head south.
- World's "sleazy" marketing tactics have been talked about for some time from Citron Research to Whitney Tilson to Herb Greenberg. Shorting the stock is a favored play of the hedge fund crowd which has been pushing D.C. to move against the company for several months.
- Also moving: CSH, EZPW, DLLR, ATLC
Jan. 17, 2014, 11:02 AM
- World Acceptance Corporation (WRLD -3.2%) slides on heavy volume after Whitney Tilson reiterates his short in the specialty consumer lender, calling it among the "scummiest, most predatory financial companies."
- Earlier coverage of WRLD
- Others of note: Springleaf Financial (LEAF -0.4%), Atlanticus Holdings (ATLC -1.8%), Cash America (CSH +0.4%), EZCORP (EZPW -0.8%), DFC Global (DLLR -2.5%).
Oct. 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Aug. 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
- Cash America (CSH +3.4%) pops as FBR upgrades the shares to Outperform from Market Perform citing decreased competition and the likelihood of accelerated growth.
- Price target is $50.
- In another recent upgrade, Janney Montgomery said the stock trades at an "excessive discount" as payday regulation concerns are largely priced in.
- See also: SA contributor Paulo Santos says "temporary hardship" has created an opportunity in the shares as "the business is still growing quickly and would otherwise merit a premium valuation."
Aug. 20, 2013, 2:34 PM
- Cash America International (CSH +7.6%) soars after Janney Montgomery upgrades the shares to Buy from Neutral.
- The stock currently trades at an "excessive discount" as the market has more than priced in "the risk of negative payday regulation."
- Price target is $49.
- Peers trading higher include FCFS +1.9% and WRLD +2.8%,
Jan. 18, 2012, 1:17 PMCash America (CSH -7.5%) takes a hit after warning late yesterday that its 2011 EPS would be short of the mark due to higher installment credit costs and narrower margins. Separately FBR cuts the shares to Market Perform on the news, saying it's going to take time for condiditons to bounce back to more normalized levels. | Jan. 18, 2012, 1:17 PM | Comment!
Oct. 20, 2011, 11:23 AM
Sep. 15, 2011, 3:30 PM
Jul. 6, 2011, 12:19 PM
CSH vs. ETF Alternatives
Cash America International Inc provides specialty financial services to individuals through its storefront lending and franchised check cashing locations. It offers pawn lending, consumer loan, check cashing and other financial services.
Other News & PR