Mon, Mar. 23, 10:02 AM
- Weak guidance from Kansas City Southern is taking down some peers on fears of a drop in energy segment revenue.
- There is also concern in the sector on tighter regulations after an increase in accidents.
- Previously: Kansas City Southern lowers 2015 revenue outlook (Mar. 23 2015)
- Decliners: Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) -2.0%, Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) -1.1%, Genesee & Wyoming (NYSE:GWR) -1.0%, CSX (NYSE:CSX) -1.2%, Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) -1.4%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CRI) -1.0%.
Tue, Jan. 13, 4:48 PM
- CSX (NYSE:CSX) says it saw strong growth rates for coal, intermodal, and merchandise in Q4.
- The quarter was strong enough to propel CSX to all-time annual revenue mark of $12.7B.
- Operating ratio +140 bps to 71.8% in Q4.
- Guidance: CSX expects double-digit EPS and margin expansion in 2015.
- CSX +1.01% after-hours.
- Previously: CSX EPS in-line, beats on revenue
Dec. 8, 2014, 3:20 PM
- Another tough day for railroad stocks as oil prices slide again.
- There's been some brave talk that the railroad sector has already seen the developments in the oil industry factored into share prices, but today's action indicates concerns on crude transport is still a concern.
- Decliners: Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) -5.5%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CNI) -1.7%, Genesee & Wyoming (NYSE:GWR) -2.9%, Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) -2.7%, Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) -3.1%, CSX Corporation (NYSE:CSX) -2.8%, Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) -3.5%, Pioneer Railcorp (OTCPK:PRRR) -4.3%.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:58 AM
Nov. 28, 2014, 12:05 PM
Nov. 21, 2014, 5:38 PM
Nov. 7, 2014, 8:46 AM
- Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) +3.5% premarket after Bill Ackman said Canadian Pacific Railway (NYSE:CP) might be interested in a rival to one-time target CSX.
- While Ackman did not name NSC in his comments yesterday, he appeared to have the company in mind by describing his takeover candidate in relation to CSX, as the two carriers go head-to-head in the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.
- “I think something happens,” Ackman said, noting that CP CEO Hunter Harrison believes "pro-competitive" railroad mergers will be permitted by regulators.
Oct. 14, 2014, 4:08 PM
Oct. 13, 2014, 10:08 AM
- There's some bets being placed on M&A activity within the railroad sector after a weekend report of interest by Canadian Pacific in CSX (CSX +12.6%) stirs the pot.
- Gainers: Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) +5.1%, Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) +4.2%, Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) +3.2%, Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) +1.0%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CNI) +1.3%.
Oct. 13, 2014, 9:15 AM
Oct. 13, 2014, 7:45 AM
Apr. 15, 2014, 4:10 PM
Jan. 16, 2014, 9:10 AM
Jan. 15, 2014, 5:28 PM
- CSX -3.5% AH after Q4 profit fell 3.8% as expenses climbed, masking a jump in volume boosted by strong shipments of chemicals, autos and agricultural products.
- CSX Chairman/CEO Michael Ward says the results were supported by "the strength of an expanding economy," boosting overall volume by ~6% despite a 5% decline in coal volume.
- CSX has higher exposure to coal than its peers, reflecting the railroad's geography, which includes the Appalachian coal basin; ~25% of CSX's revenue comes from coal.
- Intermodal and chemical shipments were important factors contributing to CSX's growth in revenue and volumes for most of 2013; during Q4, intermodal revenue rose 10% while chemicals climbed 17%.
Dec. 16, 2013, 2:58 PM
- Deutsche Bank is out with some commentary and price target adjustments for a number of transport names. "We expect slow growth to continue well into 2014," analyst Justin Yagerman notes, but says "this is not a bad environment for earnings growth as cost inflation is generally modest and volumes are expanding, albeit at a slower-than-desired pace."
- Rundown: XPO reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $32; ODFL upgraded to Buy from Hold, PT lifted to $59 from $49; UPS reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $123 from $100; UNP reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $198 from $175; RRTS reiterated at Buy, PT lifted to $35 from $32; SWFT reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $29 from $22; JBHT reiterated at Buy, PT upped to $89 from $83; NSC reiterated at Hold, PT to $91 from $83; LSTR reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $58 from $56; KNX reiterated at Hold, PT lifted to $19 from $15; ABFS reiterated at Hold, PT raised to $35 from $29; CSX reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $28 from $25.
Oct. 15, 2013, 4:05 PM
CSX vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR