Sat, Aug. 8, 8:25 AM
- Carl Icahn must still foresee plenty of profits to be made in the right energy investments, with his newly announced 8.18% stake in Cheniere Energy (NYSEMKT:LNG) coming after losing billions so far on his holdings in Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK), CVR Energy (NYSE:CVI) and Transocean (NYSE:RIG).
- Cheniere soon will begin to throw off considerable cash flow as it prepares to export the first major amounts of U.S. natural gas by sea later this year from its $16B Sabine Pass terminal on Louisiana’s Gulf coast - but should the company start to return cash to shareholders through dividends, or should it continue to invest and grow?
- Cheniere recently revealed plans to further expand its Corpus Christi terminal and team up with another company on two mid-scale projects in Louisiana, even though it has not secured contracts for the full capacity of projects already announced.
- Heard On The Street's Liam Denning is among those who suggest Icahn may seek to push Cheniere to scale back its ambitions and focus on churning out cash for distribution from its existing contracts; Denning thinks the deal is not a bet on a gas price rally but that any recovery in oil would "turbocharge" Icahn's investment.
- "Cheniere has a very aggressive expansion program and is building out more export capacity than any company in North America," Raymond James analyst Pavel Molchanov says, adding that Icahn may say “You guys have built enough, and now it’s time to give to shareholders instead of building more and more and more."
- While Icahn's plans are unclear, traders bid up the stock anyway after the news, apparently with the expectation that Icahn’s involvement will help push the stock price higher - even though results so far from his energy holdings contradict that notion.
Thu, Jul. 30, 8:51 AM
Thu, Jul. 30, 8:34 AM
Wed, Jul. 29, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, AB, ACI, ACIW, ACOR, ACRE, ADP, ALKS, ALLE, ALU, ALXN, AMRC, APD, AVP, AWI, AZN, BC, BCO, BG, BLL, BUD, BWA, BWEN, CAH, CBB, CBM, CBR, CCE, CCJ, CEVA, CI, CL, CME, COP, COT, CPN, CRL, CRR, CRS, CSH, CVE, CVI, CVRR, DBD, DCIX, DFT, DLPH, EDR, EME, ENTG, EPD, ERJ, ESI, EXLS, FCAU, FCN, FIG, FMS, GG, GHM, GLOP, GLPI, GNC, GOV, GTLS, GVA, HEES, HOT, HP, HST, I, IART, IDA, IDCC, IDXX, INGR, IRDM, IRM, IT, ITC, IVZ, KMT, LBY, LINE, LKQ, LLL, MD, MDLZ, MDP, MDXG, MMYT, MOBL, MPC, MPLX, MSCI, MTRN, MWW, NAVB, NICE, NMM, NNN, NOK, NTCT, ODFL, OSK, OXY, PBI, PCRX, PES, PF, PG, PNK, PNW, POT, PRFT, PWE, RDS.A, RFP, RTIX, RYAM, RYL, SC, SCG, SEE, SHOO, SHOP, SMP, SNE, SNMX, SSYS, SUI, SWK, TASR, TDY, TE, TEX, TFX, TKR, TMUS, TWC, TWI, UAN, UFS, UPL, VA, VG, VICL, VLO, VLY, WST, WWE, XEL, XRAY, XYL, YNDX, ZBH
Thu, Apr. 30, 8:40 AM
Thu, Apr. 30, 8:34 AM
Wed, Apr. 29, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, AB, ABC, ACIW, ACOR, ADP, AIT, ALKS, ALLE, AMT, ANR, APD, ARG, ARW, AVP, AWI, BCE, BDC, BG, BKCC, BLL, BWA, BZH, CAH, CCE, CDK, CELG, CI, CL, CME, COMM, COP, CRR, CRS, CSH, CTCM, CVI, CVRR, CWEI, CY, DBD, DIN, DLPH, EME, EPD, ERJ, EXLS, FCN, FIS, FMS, FSS, GEO, GG, GLOP, GNC, GNRC, GOV, GTI, GTLS, HAR, HEES, HST, HUN, I, IDA, IMAX, INCY, INGR, IRDM, ITC, ITG, IVZ, LBY, LKQ, LLL, LPLA, MD, MGLN, MINI, MLM, MMC, MOS, MPC, MPLX, MSCI, MTRN, MVIS, NBIX, NI, NOK, NTCT, NVO, NYT, OAK, ODFL, OMG, PBI, PCRX, PES, PF, POT, PSX, PSXP, PWE, PWR, RDS.A, RDWR, RGLD, RGS, ROK, RYL, SCG, SEE, SHPG, SMP, SNAK, SNE, SNMX, STM, STRZA, TASR, TDY, TEVA, TFX, THRM, TKR, TWC, TWI, UAN, UFS, UPL, VA, VAC, VGR, VIAB, VLY, VNTV, WRLD, WST, WWE, XEL, XOM, XYL, ZMH
Fri, Apr. 10, 5:17 PM
- The EPA agrees to issue final biofuel quotas for 2014 and 2015 under the federal Renewable Fuel Standard by Nov. 30 in a tentative settlement of an energy industry lawsuit which had challenged EPA delays in establishing the mandates.
- Refiners and biofuel producers have complained that the EPA's repeated delays in setting renewable fuel use requirements have led to uncertainty and volatility in biofuel markets.
- Refiners are required under the RFS to blend a certain amount of biofuels into gasoline and diesel based on the targets established by the EPA; potentially relevant tickers include VLO, TSO, PBF, PSX, ALJ, MPC, WNR, HFC, CVI.
- Biofuels producers also crave the certainty and market demand guaranteed by the annual targets, but they believe the EPA should not back down from setting aggressive renewable fuel quotas; potentially relevant tickers include REGI, FF, AMRS, GEVO, CDTI, SZYM, OTCPK:KIORQ.
Wed, Mar. 18, 3:24 PM
- Crude oil prices, in the doldrums yet again after U.S. inventories hit record highs for a 10th week and supplies at the futures' Cushing delivery hub hit a peak, turned around to finish higher following the Fed policy statement.
- Nymex crude rose 2.5% to settle at $44.66/bbl, pushing off earlier lows of $42.25 and the lowest intraday level since March 2009; Brent is up 4.5% at nearly $56.
- The gain could prove only a momentary recovery, however, as "speculation is going to grow about operational capacity being hit in Cushing and what that portends for prices,” according to Again Capital John Kilduff, adding that he sees U.S.crude testing $40 soon.
- U.S. refiners are enjoying big gains as the Brent/WTI spread surpasses $11: TSO +5.1%, CLMT +4.7%, CVI +4.8%, HFC +4.6%, MUR +4.5%, WNR +4.4%, VLO +3.9%, RDS.A +3.9%, CVRR +3.7%, MPC +3.3%, PSX +3.2%, ALJ +3.2%.
- ETFs: USO, OIL, UCO, SCO, BNO, DTO, DBO, UWTI, USL, DWTI, DNO, SZO, OLO, TWTI, OLEM
Fri, Feb. 20, 5:37 PM
Thu, Feb. 19, 8:58 AM
Thu, Feb. 19, 8:40 AM
Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM| Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM | 7 Comments
Wed, Feb. 11, 3:28 PM
- The SEC is investigating disclosures related to Carl Icahn's planned acquisition of CVR Energy (CVI -1.1%), Reuters reports.
- According to a filing with the U.S. District Court in Manhattan late yesterday, the SEC is looking into whether CVR properly characterized the fees it agreed to pay financial advisers to help defend against Icahn's takeover offer.
- Court papers indicate the investigation would include depositions of current and former CVR employees and directors, and that CVR may face "significant risk" of an SEC enforcement action.
Sat, Jan. 24, 8:25 AM
- In a low-yield world, the newly launched iBillionaire High Dividend Index - which tracks the trading moves of 25 investing-savvy billionaire investors such as Stanley Druckenmiller, James Dinan and Nelson Peltz - actually lives up to its name with a dividend yield of 5.34%.
- At 24%, the index has a high allocation of energy shares, including OXY, TRP, CNP, COP, BP, ATLS, CVI, WMB, APL, RIG and ARP.
- Also worth noting is that the index contains some high-yielding mortgage REITs, an area most investors hate right now but where billionaires seem to find value; examples are NRF, AGNC and CIM.
- No mutual fund or ETF tracks this index, but it offers a fishing pond of income investment ideas to research further.
- The top 20 holdings: TLM, CVC, GM, TIME, AEE, D, STAY, KMI, TROX, EXC, STNG, PPL, IRM, PFE, KKR, KAR, F, MIC, LO, ABBV.
Dec. 3, 2014, 3:15 PM
- U.S. oil refiners are processing record amounts of crude for this time of year, FT reports, taking advantage of falling oil prices and a flood of supply from shale drillers.
- Refiners’ appetite has kept the price of high-quality light U.S. crude closely in line with international prices, defying warnings that a glut would force deep discounts: “The bottom line remains that we haven’t seen an oversupply of light crude,” Marathon Petroleum (MPC +1.5%) says.
- Whether U.S. refineries succeed in absorbing the rising oil tide is up for speculation, but the refiners' own investment plans suggest they have the capacity to handle rising volumes; Valero (VLO +1.4%), for example, plans to add crude units in Houston and Corpus Christi designed to process oil from the nearby Eagle Ford shale.
- Refiners are by far the dominant customers for crude, so the amount purchased by U.S. refiners will be an important guide for world oil markets.
- Also: TSO +0.1%, ALJ +0.5%, PSX +1.6%, WNR +1.2%, HFC +0.4%, CVI +0.8%, PBF +1.8%.
CVI vs. ETF Alternatives
CVR Energy Inc is a diversified holding company.The Company through its subsidiaries is engaged in the petroleum refining and nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing industries. Itsbusiness segments include petroleum and nitrogen fertilizer.
Other News & PR