Nov. 25, 2014, 5:44 AM| Comment!
Nov. 24, 2014, 5:30 PM
Aug. 14, 2014, 10:52 AM
- Though Dangdang (NYSE:DANG) beat Q2 estimates, it's guiding for Q3 revenue of RMB1.984B ($322.5M), below a $325.7M consensus. Marketplace GMV is expected to grow 80% Y/Y.
- Q2 media revenue +43.5% Y/Y to $218.6M, general merchandise +8.2% to $84.5M, other revenue +26.1% to $13M. Marketplace GMV +81.6% to $230.7M.
- Gross margin rose to 18.3% from 18.2% in Q1 and 17.1% a year ago. Fulfillment spend fell to 9.7% of revenue from 12% a year ago; marketing spend to 4.2% from 5.1%; tech/content spend to 2.4% from 3.1%; and G&A to 2.1% from 2.3%.
- Active customers totaled 8.5M, up 23% Y/Y but down slightly Q/Q. Total orders rose 10% Y/Y and slightly Q/Q to 16.5M. Mobile accounted for 17% of orders (22% in June).
- Peer Vipshop is selling off in spite of providing a Q2 beat and strong guidance. Online cosmetics retailer Jumei (JMEI -3.6%) is following Dangdang and Vipshop lower ahead of its Aug. 18 Q2 report.
- Q2 results, PR
Aug. 14, 2014, 6:01 AM| Comment!
Aug. 13, 2014, 5:30 PM
Aug. 7, 2014, 12:13 PM| Comment!
May. 15, 2014, 10:53 AM
- In addition to missing Q1 revenue estimates, Dangdang (DANG -15.8%) is guiding for Q2 revenue of RMB1.942B ($312M), slightly below a $313.7M consensus.
- In spite of the revenue miss, Dangdang posted Q1 EPS of $0.01, beating consensus by $0.02. A 60 bps Q/Q and 100 bps Y/Y improvement in gross margin to 18.2% played a role, as did declines in fulfillment (9.8% of revenue vs 13.8% a year ago) and tech/content spend (2.5% vs. 3.7%) as a percentage of revenue. Marketing spend rose to 3.9% of revenue vs. 3.2%.
- Active customers totaled 8.6M, +16% Y/Y but down 3% from seasonally strong Q4. Total orders amounted to 16.4M, +11% Y/Y and -9% Q/Q.
- Shares were up AH yesterday after peer Vipshop blew away Q1 estimates and offered equally strong guidance.
May. 15, 2014, 6:22 AM| Comment!
May. 14, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 3, 2014, 4:37 PM| Comment!
Feb. 28, 2014, 2:16 PM
- Over the last 48 hours, Baidu, Dangdang, Youku, and 58.com have all posted Q4 beats and provided strong Q1 guidance. The numbers are giving a lift to a slew of Chinese Internet stocks.
- Notable gainers: SOHU +6.5%. PWRD +13.2%. VIPS +4.3%. YY +2.2%. RENN +3.8%. GOMO +5.5%.
- In Sohu's case, the rumor mill might also be helping out. A source tells Marbridge Consulting Sohu CEO Charles Zhang and Tencent (TCEHY +1.2%) CEO Pony Ma have talked about merging their companies' online video units. Both Sohu and Tencent trail market leaders Youku and Baidu in China's burgeoning online video market.
- Dangdang (DANG +8.6%) is adding to yesterday's big post-earnings gains after Oppenheimer hiked its PT to $15. The firm likes Dangdang's improved efficiency and partnerships with e-commerce rivals (inc. Alibaba's Tmall), and the fact mobile accounted for 13% of Q4 orders.
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:26 AM
- Dangdang (DANG) expects Q1 revenue of RMB1.734B ($282.8M), well above a $256.6M consensus.
- Active customers rose 18% Y/Y in Q4 to 8.9M, and total orders 13% to 18.1M. Marketplace gross merchandise value (GMV) soared 154.2% to $230.3M.
- Media product sales +27.9% Y/Y to $197.4M, general merchandise +12.8% to $111.9M, other revenue (inc. 3rd-party merchants) +24.9% to $16.4M.
- Margin improvements and cost controls allowed the company to turn profitable sooner than expected. Gross margin rose 420 bps Y/Y to 17.6%, fulfillment spend fell to 9.4% of revenue from 12% a year ago, marketing spend to 4.2% of revenue from 5.2%, tech/content spend to 2% from 2.6%, and G&A to 2.3% from 2.9%.
- Total revenue growth accelerated to 22.1% from a Q3 level of 19%.
- Q4 results, PR
Feb. 27, 2014, 6:52 AM
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:05 AM| Comment!
Feb. 26, 2014, 5:30 PM| 1 Comment
Nov. 14, 2013, 9:25 AM
- Though Dangdang's (DANG) Q3 revenue was slightly below the guidance range it provided in its Q3 warning, the Chinese e-commerce firm posted Q3 EPS of -$0.06, beating a -$0.09 consensus. A key reason: Dangdang had a gross margin of 17.6%, up 50 bps Q/Q and 240 bps Y/Y.
- As noted in the warning, Dangdang has been trying to cut its dependence on lower-margin goods (even if doing so hurts near-term sales), and is transitioning from being an online bookseller to a provider of a wide variety of products aimed at "mid- to high-end customers."
- Also boosting EPS: fulfillment spend fell to 11.7% of revenue from 12% in Q2 and 14.4% a year ago, and tech/content spend fell to 2.9% of revenue from 3.1% in Q2 and 3.2% a year ago. Marketing spend was 3.8% of revenue, down from 5.1% in Q2 and up from 3.6% a year ago.
- The company had 8.4M active customers in Q3, up from 7.6M in Q2 and up 21% Y/Y; Q2 growth was 28%. Total orders rose to 15.7M from Q2's 15M, and were up 13% Y/Y. That's a notable slowdown from Q2's 25% growth.
- Dangdang is guiding for Q4 revenue of RMB1.938B ($318.3M), below a $321.4M consensus.
- Peer LightInTheBox (LITB) is up 5% premarket. The company reports on the morning of Nov. 19.
- Q3 results, PR
DANG vs. ETF Alternatives
E-Commerce China Dangdang Inc is a business-to-consumer, or B2C, e-commerce company. The Company is engaged in selling books online. It is also engaged in other media products and selected general merchandise categories.
Other News & PR