Thu, May 21, 5:30 PM
Thu, May 21, 9:30 AM
- Alongside Goldman's list of 50 stocks appearing most as top holdings at hedge funds is its list of the 50 top shorts.
- New additions this quarter: Baxter Intl (NYSE:BAX), UPS, Marriott (NASDAQ:MAR), NextEra (NYSE:NEE), Ford (NYSE:F), National Oilwell Varco (NYSE:NOV), McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), M&T Bank (NYSE:MTB), CenturyLink (NYSE:CTL), Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN), Pioneer Natural (NYSE:PXD), Duke Energy (NYSE:DUK), Seagate (NASDAQ:STX), AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO).
- The full list (in order of $ value of short interest): AT&T (NYSE:T), Disney (NYSE:DIS), IBM, Verizon (NYSE:VZ), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Kinder Morgan (NYSE:KMI), Exxon (NYSE:XOM), Pfizer (NYSE:PFE), J&J (NYSE:JNJ), Deere (NYSE:DE), Caterpillar (NYSE:CAT), Exelon (NYSE:EXC), GE, Boeing (NYSE:BA), Halliburton (NYSE:HAL), Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA), Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), UTX, Regeneron (NASDAQ:REGN), Merck (NYSE:MRK), salesforce.com (NYSE:CRM), AbbVie (ABBV), Conoco (NYSE:COP), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY), Celgene (NASDAQ:CELG), Schlumberger (NYSE:SLB), AutoZone (NYSE:AZO), Wells Fargo (NYSE:WFC), Emerson (NYSE:EMR), McDonald's (MCD), Reynolds (NYSE:RAI), Target (NYSE:TGT), Accenture (NYSE:ACN), Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO).
Fri, May 15, 8:28 AM
- "We believe it was clear from what we heard that the industry is currently in dire straits with the potential for a liquidity crunch for farmers into 2016," says Morgan Stanley's Ann Dunigan after spending time agriculture dealers, farmers, and industry experts in the Midwest.
- Even dealers, she says, acknowledge there are far too many used high horsepower Deere (NYSE:DE) tractors in inventory - likely to weigh on new tractor sales for the foreseeable future.
- She downgrades to Underweight and cuts the price target to $84.
- Shares are lower by 1.6% premarket.
Wed, Apr. 1, 7:29 AM
Wed, Feb. 25, 11:23 AM
Fri, Feb. 20, 7:27 AM
- Net income of $386.8M, or $1.12 per share vs. $681.1M, or $1.81 per share, for the same period of 2013.
- Net sales decreased 17% Y/Y to $6.4B from $7.7B in the same quarter a year ago. Segment Sales: Agriculture & Turf. -27%; Construction & Forestry +13%.
- For fiscal 2015, the company now expects equipment sales to decrease 17%, and to be down ~19% for the second quarter compared with year-ago periods. The company also lowered its net income forecast to $1.8B from $1.9B.
- "Even with a continued pullback in the agricultural sector, John Deere expects to remain solidly profitable in 2015," said CEO Samuel Allen. "Longer term, the company's future continues to hold great promise for customers and investors."
- Q4 results
- DE -1.3% premarket
Fri, Feb. 20, 7:03 AM
Thu, Feb. 19, 5:30 PM
Tue, Feb. 17, 5:11 PM
- Warren Buffett added to his IBM bet amid the IT giant's Q4 selloff: Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) owned 77M IBM shares at the end of Q4, up from 70.5M at the end of Q3. (13F filing)
- Berkshire also upped its stake in Suncor (NYSE:SU) by nearly 4M shares to 22.4M as oil prices plunged. However, the firm dumped the 41M-share stake in Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) it held at the end of Q3, and its 5M-share stake in ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP). Its 449K-share stake in Express Scripts (NASDAQ:ESRX) was also liquidated.
- A new 8.4M-share stake was taken in Restaurant Brands (QSR - rose 8.7% today following earnings), and a 4.7M-share stake in 21st Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA). Existing stakes in GM, DirecTV, MasterCard, and Visa were moderately upped (among others), and stakes in Bank of New York and National Oilwell moderately lowered.
- Berkshire owned 17.1M Deere (NYSE:DE) shares at the end of Q4, up from 7.6M at the end of Q3 (the Q3 stake was kept confidential). Deere is up 1.6% AH.
- Overall, Buffett's firm created or expanded positions in 15 companies, and cut or liquidated positions in 5.
Tue, Jan. 27, 3:58 PM
- Cummins (CMI -3.8%) is downgraded to Market Perform from Outperform at First Global despite delivering a respectable performance for the final nine months of 2014.
- CMI’s industrial engines are highly exposed to the construction and mining industries which are being impacted by weak capital spending in China and other emerging markets, the firm says; also, demand in the Chinese and Brazilian truck markets remains weak.
- At 13.9x estimated CY 2015 earnings, CMI shares already trade at a moderate premium to peers such as Caterpillar, First Global adds.
- CMI and other equipment manufacturers are broadly lower following Caterpillar's (CAT -7.2%) disappointing quarter: JOY -5.3%, MTW -5.1%, DE -2.7%, CNHI -1.9%.
Fri, Jan. 23, 8:46 AM
- Roughly 910 workers will be placed on indefinite layoff from facilities in Iowa and Illinois, and another 500 employees at Deere's (NYSE:DE) Seeding and Cylinder facility in Moline will go an extended inventory adjustment shutdown which is expected to end in late summer.
- The "workforce adjustments" reflect the economic forecast included in Deere's Nov. 2014 earnings report "as the company continues to align the size of its manufacturing workforce to market demand for products."
- Source: Press Release
Dec. 3, 2014, 11:09 AM
Dec. 1, 2014, 8:43 AM
- The company this morning is on the receiving end of three upgrades, most notably from JPMorgan and Wells Fargo, both of which pull their sell recommendations and upgrade to Neutral/Market Perform.
- Baird upgrades to Outperform.
- Deere (NYSE:DE) slipped a bit last week after weak 2015 sales guidance, and is lower by 5.2% YTD.
- Shares +1% premarket
Nov. 26, 2014, 7:31 AM
- Net income of $649.2M, or $1.83 per share vs. $806.8M, or $2.11 per share, for the same period of 2013.
- Net sales decreased 5% Y/Y to $9B from $9.5B in the same quarter a year ago. Segment Sales: Agriculture & Turf. -13%; Construction & Forestry +23%.
- For fiscal 2015, the company expects equipment sales to decrease 15%, and to be down ~21% for the first quarter compared with year-ago periods. Net income is anticipated to be approximately $1.9B.
- Q4 results
- DE -3.4% premarket
Nov. 26, 2014, 7:05 AM
Nov. 25, 2014, 5:30 PM
DE vs. ETF Alternatives
Deere & Company operates in three business segments: agriculture/ turf, construction/forestry, & financial services. The company helps customers to be more productive as they help to improve the quality of life for people around the world.
Other News & PR