Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Mar. 5, 8:44 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12.1% to $4.67B on a positive real sales growth from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- The U.S. comp grew 3.6% during the quarter.
- Sales in Belgium declined 6% and the comp in the region fell 6.9%
- Sales in Southeastern Europe grew 4% while comp contracted 2.2%.
- Total organic revenue +1.3%
- Gross margin rate declined 24 bps to 23.9%.
- Store count +66 Y/Y to 3,468.
- DEG +3.66% premarket.
- Q4 results
Thu, Mar. 5, 7:16 AM
Mon, Jan. 26, 10:17 AM
- Delhaize (DEG +6.2%) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12% to $4.7B on a solid performance from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- A 3.6% comp in the U.S. helped to offset Delhaize's negative comps in Belgium and Southeastern Europe.
- The company's U.S. results were boosted by an additional week for the reporting period compared to a year ago.
Wed, Jan. 21, 7:37 AM
- Grocery store chains stand to lose from the decision by the Supreme Court to reject a case on the swipe fee cap, according to analysts.
- Almost 70% of purchases in grocery stores are paid for by consumers with credit or debit cards.
- Operating margins in the industry tend to be very low.
- In some cases, the interchange fee which goes to the processing bank is higher than the profit margin on the grocery item.
- Trade groups repping the grocery industry wanted a cap of $0.07-$0.12, instead of the $0.21 approved by the Fed.
- Previously: Supreme Court passes on looking at swipe fees cap (Jan. 20 2015)
- Grocery store stocks: IMKTA, NGVC, TFM, SFM, SWY, DEG, SFS, WFM, SVU, KR, CASY, WMK, VLGEA.
Nov. 6, 2014, 6:30 AM
Sep. 15, 2014, 10:13 AM
- Shares of Diageo (DEG +1.1%) and Constellation Brands (STZ +0.9%) are both higher in early trading with beer consolidation talk continuing to build up.
- Molson Coors (NYSE:TAP) is up over 6.4% on volume already 3X normal activity.
- Carlsberg (OTCPK:CABGY), which has been tapped as a potential merger candidate, is also in rally mode with shares +2.1%.
- Altrai (NYSE:MO) is 2.5% higher with its stake in SABMiller rising in value.
- Beer news: Heineken rebuffs SABMiller, A-B lines up financing for potential SABMiller bid.
Aug. 18, 2014, 8:25 AM| Comment!
Aug. 7, 2014, 6:23 AM
Apr. 1, 2014, 7:28 AM
Mar. 31, 2014, 7:11 AM
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:17 AM
Feb. 25, 2014, 1:52 PM| Comment!
Feb. 18, 2014, 9:27 AM
Feb. 13, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Despite a sluggish reading on retail sales in the U.S. for January, a couple of categories showed some strength.
- Building materials and garden equipment sales rose 3.7% Y/Y and 1.4% M/M in what could be a good trend for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW).
- Grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, DEG, IMKTA) outperformed as well, up 4% Y/Y and 0.4% M/M.
Feb. 5, 2014, 7:35 AM
DEG vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR