Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Mon, May 11, 6:20 AM
- Royal Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY) and Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) surged in early European trading after weekend reports that the Dutch and Belgian retailers are in talks to merge, a deal that would pool U.S. chains Stop & Shop and Food Lion.
- Delhaize soared as much as 18%, valuing the company at €8.8B ($9.8B), while Ahold advanced as much as 10% for a valuation of €17B.
- Talks between the companies are at a preliminary stage, Belgian newspapers De Tijd and L'Echo reported on Saturday.
Wed, Apr. 29, 2:24 PM
- Delhaize (DEG -7.3%) trades lower after report negative comparable-store sales growth in Belgium and Southeast Europe.
- The comp in the U.S. was positive at 2.5%.
- Operating margin by region: U.S. 3.8%, Belgium 1.4%, Southeast Europe 2.3%.
- The company is rolling out its Easy, Fresh & Affordable program at another 160 Food Lion stores this year.
- Previously: Delhaize reports Q1 results
- Delhaize earnings release (.pdf)
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Mar. 5, 8:44 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12.1% to $4.67B on a positive real sales growth from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- The U.S. comp grew 3.6% during the quarter.
- Sales in Belgium declined 6% and the comp in the region fell 6.9%
- Sales in Southeastern Europe grew 4% while comp contracted 2.2%.
- Total organic revenue +1.3%
- Gross margin rate declined 24 bps to 23.9%.
- Store count +66 Y/Y to 3,468.
- DEG +3.66% premarket.
- Q4 results
Mon, Jan. 26, 10:17 AM
- Delhaize (DEG +6.2%) reports sales in the U.S. rose 12% to $4.7B on a solid performance from the Food Lion and Hannaford chains.
- A 3.6% comp in the U.S. helped to offset Delhaize's negative comps in Belgium and Southeastern Europe.
- The company's U.S. results were boosted by an additional week for the reporting period compared to a year ago.
Mar. 31, 2014, 7:11 AM
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:17 AM
Feb. 18, 2014, 9:27 AM
Jan. 23, 2014, 9:12 AM| Comment!
Jan. 23, 2014, 7:37 AM| Comment!
Dec. 5, 2013, 1:35 PM
- A disappointing pace of sales growth from Kroger (KR -1.9%) has fouled the mood on the grocery store sector a bit.
- The company didn't raise its outlook for FY13 EPS as analysts had expected. A miss by the typically-steady Kroger has analysts resetting expectations for the group.
- Decliners: Safeway (SWY) -3.3%, Delhaize Group (DEG) -1.2%, Ingles Markets (IMKTA) -2.4%, Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) -1.4%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) -0.9%.
Oct. 23, 2013, 9:57 AM| Comment!
Sep. 4, 2013, 12:46 PM
Apr. 22, 2013, 8:56 AMPreliminary Q1 results from Delhaize Group (DEG) send the shares up 9% premarket. The Belgian food retailer says revenues for Q1 rose 2.1% and U.S. comps growth came in at 1.9%. Operating margins and EBITDA rose 0.4% Y/Y and 7.1% Y/Y respectively. The company sees operating profits of $1.01B for the full year. | Comment!
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:45 AM
DEG vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR