Oct. 22, 2014, 8:17 AM| Comment!
Oct. 10, 2014, 2:05 PM
- There's more consumer staples names to add to the list of out-performers on the day with investors peeling off some tech and momentum favorites.
- The partial list below represents stocks up at least 1% on the day with a dividend yield of over 2%.
- Back in favor: AVP, KO, MO, RAI, BUD, PF, BGS, DPS, CPB, LO, DF.
Sep. 24, 2014, 11:01 AM
- Food stocks are topping market averages as investors shift to a more defensive stance.
- The sector is also getting a look with grain, corn, meat, and rice prices moderating on improved global supplies.
- On the move: Post Holdings (NYSE:POST) +2.0%, Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) +1.0%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) +1.7%, Diamond Foods (NASDAQ:DMND) +1.5%, Flower Foods (NYSE:FLO) +1.3%, Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) +1.6%, General Mills (NYSE:GIS) +0.7%, ConAgra (NYSE:CAG) +1.1%, Kraft Foods (NASDAQ:KRFT) +1.0%, Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) +1.5%, Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB) +2.7%.
Aug. 14, 2014, 4:58 PM
Aug. 12, 2014, 7:48 AM
- Credit Suisse upgrades Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) to an Outperform rating from Neutral on a valuation call.
- The investment firm thinks the negative outlook on the dairy commodity market is already priced into Dean Foods at current levels.
- Yesterday on Dean Foods: Q2 earnings, conference call
- DF +0.7% premarket
Aug. 11, 2014, 3:41 PM
- Execs with Dean Foods (DF -3.9%) made it perfectly clear during the firm's earnings call that the company doesn't have an easy way to recoup spiraling raw cost milk costs.
- CFO Chris Bellairs talked about the "thin margin" of error the business operates under where a penny per gallon cost hike translates to $1.5M worth of operating income.
- Bellairs is "confident" that Dean Foods will hits its Q3 guidance after the range was stretched out a bit.
- Earnings call transcript
Aug. 11, 2014, 9:16 AM
Aug. 11, 2014, 8:22 AM
- Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) reports a slide in profit in Q2 amid what it calls the "most difficult" operating environment in the company's history.
- Though Dean Foods picked up 20 bps of market share to 35.9%, overall milk volume was down.
- Due to the tough outlook on the dairy commodity market, Dean Foods lowers Q3 EPS guidance dramatically to -$0.05 to -$0.15 vs. $0.26 consensus.
- DF is getting punished in premarket trading, down 9.9%.
Aug. 11, 2014, 8:01 AM
Aug. 10, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 11, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jun. 23, 2014, 6:15 PM
- The WSJ reports criminal authorities have subpoenaed Dean Foods (DF) over an insider trading probe that covers Carl Icahn, Phil Mickelson, and sports bettor William T. Walters.
- Investigators are reportedly probing whether Walters provided tips related to Dean Foods to Mickelson. They're also probing whether Icahn tipped Walters about planned trading in Clorox.
- Both the FBI and SEC are said to be involved.
- DF -7.4% AH.
Jun. 12, 2014, 1:36 PM| Comment!
May. 31, 2014, 12:02 AM
- The FBI and SEC are pursuing a major insider trading probe involving investor Carl Icahn, golfer Phil Mickelson and Las Vegas gambler Billy Walters, according to multiple reports.
- Investigators reportedly are examining whether Icahn (IEP) passed non-public tips on investments he was planning to make to Walters, and whether Walters then tipped Mickelson.
- The government investigation is said to have begun after Icahn accumulated a 9% stake in Clorox (CLX) in Feb. 2011; Icahn made a $10.2B bid for CLX in July, and large, risky trades made in CLX options in the days before the bid sparked rumors that word had leaked.
- Authorities also are looking into trades Mickelson and Walters made related to Dean Foods (DF).
May. 29, 2014, 10:03 AM
- Shares of WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +4.6%), Dean Foods (DF +1.3%), and Sanderson Farms (SAFM +2.7%) are higher after Tyson Foods tops the bid of Pilgrim's Pride for Hillshire Brands.
- Though consolidation in the food sector is expected to pick up, some analysts warn the takeover premium in select stocks is getting played out.
May. 23, 2014, 11:05 AM
- Wells Fargo analyst John Baumgartner forecasts a continued drop in milk prices after seeing Class I milk peak earlier in the month.
- The news could be a relief for a number of companies (DF, WWAV, SJM, DF, NSRGY, LWAY, DNKN, MCD, SBUX, GIS, HSY, MJN, ADY) which have faced margin pressure over the escalated cost of wholesale milk products.
- Milk price chart
- Related ETF: MOO
DF vs. ETF Alternatives
Dean Foods Co process and distribute fluid milk and other dairy products, including ice cream, ice cream mix and cultured products. It also produces and distributes TruMoo, a reformulated flavored milk, as well as juices, teas, and bottled water.
Other News & PR