Dec. 31, 2014, 2:17 PM
- A tough year for commodity prices continues all the way into the close of the last session, with precious metals, energy, grains, and most of the softs slumping sharply. 2014's big commodity winner, naturally, stands alone in the green today - coffee is up 2%.
- The PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracker (DBC -1.9%)
- Alongside the commodity slump, both this year and this session, is a stronger dollar, set to close 2014 out at its highest level in at least five years.
- ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, UCI, FTGC, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, COMT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, PDBC, CSCR
Dec. 22, 2014, 11:47 AM
- There's not much happening with the equity averages, but crude oil is back on the move, down 3% to $55.40 per barrel. USO -4.75%. Gold's slipping as well, off 1.1% to $1,182 per ounce.
- Looking more broadly, the Bloomberg Commodities Index has returned to a level not seen since May 2009. Coffee owners, however, are in high cotton - up 57.5% YTD. I's the best asset market investment of 2014, beating out #2 - the Shanghai Composite - by more than 1.4K basis points.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, UCI, FTGC, CMD, DYY, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, COMT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, PDBC, CSCR
Oct. 6, 2014, 3:49 PM
- Going higher without fail on nearly a daily basis since Memorial Day, the dollar (UUP -1.2%) is selling off hard today, likely helping to light up the commodity sector (DBC +1.4%) bright green.
- Among individual currencies, the euro (FXE +1.2%), loonie (FXC +1.2%), aussie (FXA +1.3%), swissie (FXF +0.7%), pound (FXB +0.5%), and yen (FXY +1.1%) are all posting sizable gains.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, FORX, UUPT, UDNT, USDU
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, DEE, FTGC, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, DPU, SBV, CSCB, CSCR
Sep. 30, 2014, 12:07 PM
- The early decline in WTI crude oil has accelerated sharply over the past few minutes, and it's now off 3.5% to $91.25 per barrel, about inline with the lowest pricing seen this year. USO -2.9%
- Moving alongside is heating oil (UHN -1.1%) and gasoline (UGA -3.1%).
- Broad energy ETFs: DBE, RJN, JJE, ONG, RGRE, UBN
- Checking other commodities: Silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) is down 3.4%, Copper (NYSEARCA:JJC) is lower by 1.3%, and Wheat (NYSEARCA:WEAT) is off 1.8%.
- Broad commodity ETFs: DBC, DJP, GSG, RJI, GCC, USCI, GSC, GSP, RGRC, DJCI, LSC, FTGC, DEE, UCI, DYY, CMD, BCM, DDP, UCD, CMDT, SBV, DPU, CSCB, CSCR
May. 1, 2013, 10:41 AMCommodities are lit up bright red as weak economic data (here and in China) is a good excuse to end the bounce of the last few sessions. Gold (GLD -1.8%), Silver (SLV -3.6%), WTI Crude (USO -2.6%). Copper (JJC -3.3%) moves to its lowest level in about 18 months at $3.08/lb. The metal hasn't had a 2-handle since the start of 2011. Broad commodity gauge (DBC -1.8%). | 5 Comments
Aug. 8, 2011, 1:11 PMCommodity prices get slammed as economic fears intensify with some metals breaking through what is seen as important technical levels. Any current projections for commodity prices now need to be wadded up and be given a fresh macro look. Leading the downward spiral: Steel SLZ -7.4%, Copper JJC -7%, Tin JJT -6%. | Comment!
DJP vs. ETF Alternatives
The iPath® Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index Total ReturnService Mark ETN is linked to the Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index Total ReturnService Mark and reflects the returns that are potentially available through an unleveraged investment in the futures contracts on physical commodities comprising the index plus the rate of interest that could be earned on cash collateral invested in specified Treasury Bills. The commodities represented in the Dow Jones-UBS Commodity Index Total ReturnService Mark are rebalanced annually; however, the weightings fluctuate between rebalancings due to changes in market prices.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR