Jul. 24, 2014, 7:55 AM
- Dunkin Brands (NASDAQ:DNKN) -5.1% premarket after Q2 revenues came in below expectations, weighed by bad weather and other consumer challenges.
- Q2 U.S. same-store sales rose 1.8% at Dunkin' Donuts shops and climbed 4.2% at Baskin-Robbins; international same-store sales fell 3.1% at Dunkin' shops and slipped 1.6% at Baskin-Robbins locations.
- DNKN cites unseasonably cold and rainy start to the spring season as the main reason for the disappointing growth figures, but says same-store sales gradually improved throughout the quarter with June average weekly sales reaching the highest volume on record.
- However, DNKN cuts its FY 2014 sales targets, now seeing EPS of $1.73-$1.77 from prior guidance of $1.73-$1.83 and $1.80 analyst consensus estimate and revenue growth of 5%-7% from prior 6%-8% to ~$749.5M-$763.8M and $770M consensus.
Jul. 24, 2014, 6:05 AM
Jul. 23, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAL, ABC, ALK, ALXN, ARG, ASPS, BBW, BC, BCC, BHE, BKU, BMS, BMY, BPOP, BSX, CAB, CAM, CAT, CCE, CELG, CLF, CLFD, CLI, CMS, COG, CRI, CRY, CSH, CWEI, DAN, DFT, DGX, DHI, DLX, DNKN, DO, DPS, DST, ECA, EQM, EQT, F, FAF, FLIR, GM, GNTX, GPI, GPK, GRUB, HOT, HSY, IMAX, IMS, IQNT, ISSI, IVC, JAH, JBLU, KEM, KKR, LAZ, LLY, LTM, LUV, MHO, MMM, MTH, MTRN, NBL, NDAQ, NOK, NUE, NWE, O, ORI, OSTK, PCP, PDS, PENN, PHM, PNK, POT, PRLB, PTEN, QSII, RCI, RCL, RDWR, RS, RTIX, RTN, SCHL, SFE, SIAL, SQNS, SUI, SVU, SXC, TDY, TROW, TWI, UA, UAL, UFS, UNP, USG, VAC, VDSI, VIVO, WAB, WCC, WIT, WYN, ZMH
Jul. 8, 2014, 9:12 AM
- Coffee prices continue to retreat from their highs as improved weather in Brazil and strong output in India pushes up estimates on global output for the robusta and arabica varieties.
- Many coffee sellers have already lifted retail prices (KRFT, SBUX, SJM, DNKN) and could see a benefit if their purchasing contracts get locked-in at lower levels.
- Related ETFs: JO
Jun. 17, 2014, 6:57 AM
- Coffee output in India is forecast to rise after suffering a setback last year.
- Higher production from the region could increase global supply to pressure prices after a drought in Brazil has had major impact on the coffee market.
- Prices on bagged coffee has been increased by a wave of companies including J.M. Smucker and Kraft Foods.
- Wholesale coffee prices still have a big wildcard in the mix with the emergence of El Nino.
- Related stocks: SJM, KRFT, THI, SBUX, GMCR, MCD, JVA, KRFT, DNKN.
- Related ETF: JO
Jun. 11, 2014, 2:11 PM
- A new coffee service app from an Israeli start-up did a soft launch in New York City with positive early results.
- The $45-per-month Cup service gives subscribers unlimited purchases of basic coffee and tea drinks at the 40 participating independent shops. A premium service at $85 per month opens the door for premium espresso and latte drinks.
- Both Starbucks (SBUX -0.4%) and Dunkin' Brands (DNKN -0.6%) have 10X the number of locations that Cup has under its fold so far.
- The firm's goal is to expand out of NYC in the future.
Jun. 9, 2014, 1:46 PM
- Data from NPD Group indicates the average American spends 12 minutes a day on breakfast.
- The highly-contested daypart pits major cereal sellers such as Kellogg (K), Post Holding (POST), and General Mills (GIS) against fast-food chains like McDonald's (MCD), Starbucks (SBUX), Taco Bell (YUM), and Dunkin' Brands (DNKN).
- Convenience-store chains are also a major factor as C-stores such as Circle K (ANCUF), 7-11, Pantry (PTRY), BP Connect (BP), On the Run (XOM), Speedway America (MPC), Kwik Shop (KR), and Qwiktrip continue to innovate and show some positive growth trends.
- What to watch: Analysis from Edward D. Jones suggests consumers tend to stay with their routines. The read is that companies in the breakfast business need to compete for market share within their segment - instead of trying to change consumer behavior. Taco Bell is utilizing that strategy with its marketing message which paints McDonald's as old-fashioned.
Jun. 2, 2014, 11:34 AM
- Improved traffic at restaurants chains in April helped boost the Restaurant Performance Index monitored by the National Restaurant Association by 0.3% to 101.7.
- The Expectations Index, which measures the six-month outlook for operators, improved 0.2% to 102.2 to mark the highest level for the index in two years.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
May 23, 2014, 11:05 AM
- Wells Fargo analyst John Baumgartner forecasts a continued drop in milk prices after seeing Class I milk peak earlier in the month.
- The news could be a relief for a number of companies (DF, WWAV, SJM, DF, NSRGY, LWAY, DNKN, MCD, SBUX, GIS, HSY, MJN, ADY) which have faced margin pressure over the escalated cost of wholesale milk products.
- Milk price chart
- Related ETF: MOO
May 6, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Restaurant chains saw sales increase at a slightly higher rate last year than sales at independent chains and concepts, according to data from GE Capital.
- The 100 largest chains saw sales grow at a rate of 3.5% vs. the industry average of 3.1%.
- Consumers spent more money per restaurant visit in 2013, but industry-wide same-store sales fell off 0.1% with traffic numbers down.
- For the 6th year in a row, sales at quick-service restaurants rose faster than sales at full-service establishments.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
- The restaurant industry is watching with interest a late push by waiters and bartenders in Seattle to drum up support against a proposed $15-per-hour minimum wage law in the state.
- The group fears a minimum wage law hike will significantly lower the level of tips servers receive from customers.
- The big picture: The potential for minimum wage increases - either on a federal level or state by state - has been a hot topic in dissecting restaurant stocks. Some analysts see a significant bottom line pinch as companies have a difficult time passing on the extra costs to consumers in the form of higher prices.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 24, 2014, 7:37 AM
- Dunkin' Brand (DNKN) saw profit fall in Q1 by 3.5% compared to a year ago as the East Coast-heavy chain saw its traffic disrupted by severe weather in the quarter.
- Q1 same-store sales growth: Dunkin' Donuts +1.2%; Baskin-Robbins +0.5%; Dunkin' Donuts International -2.4%; Baskin-Robbins International +1.4%.
- DNKN -2.2% premarket
Apr. 24, 2014, 6:23 AM
Apr. 24, 2014, 6:01 AM
Apr. 24, 2014, 12:05 AM
- AAL, ABC, AET, ALXN, AMAG, ASPS, AVT, AZN, BC, BHE, BKU, BMS, BTU, CAB, CAJ, CAM, CAT, CCE, CELG, CFX, CLFD, CLI, CMS, CNMD, COG, COR, CRR, CRS, CSH, CWEI, DFT, DGX, DHI, DLPH, DLX, DNKN, DO, DST, EQM, EQT, ETR, FAF, FCX, FNFG, GM, GMT, GPK, GTI, HOT, HP, HSY, IMAX, IVC, JBLU, KKR, LAD, LLY, LSTR, LTM, LUV, MDP, MHO, MJN, MMM, MO, NBL, NDAQ, NLSN, NTCT, NUE, NVS, NYT, ODFL, ORI, OSTK, PAG, PENN, PHM, POT, PTEN, RCL, RS, RTIX, RTN, RYL, SCG, SFE, SIAL, SILC, SIRI, SONS, SQNS, STC, SWK, TKR, TROW, TWC, TWI, UA, UAL, UFS, UPS, USG, UTEK, VDSI, VIVO, VLY, VZ, WCC, WM, WYN, YNDX, ZMH
Apr. 23, 2014, 5:30 PM
- AAL, ABC, AET, ALXN, AMAG, ASPS, AVT, AZN, BC, BHE, BKU, BMS, BTU, CAB, CAJ, CAM, CAT, CCE, CELG, CFX, CLFD, CLI, CMS, CNMD, COG, COR, CRR, CRS, CSH, CWEI, DFT, DGX, DHI, DLPH, DLX, DNKN, DO, DST, EQM, EQT, ETR, FAF, FCX, FNFG, GM, GMT, GPK, GTI, HOT, HP, HSY, IMAX, IVC, JBLU, KKR, LAD, LLY, LSTR, LTM, LUV, MDP, MHO, MJN, MMM, MO, NBL, NDAQ, NLSN, NTCT, NUE, NVS, NYT, ODFL, ORI, OSTK, PAG, PENN, PHM, POT, PTEN, RCL, RS, RTIX, RTN, RYL, SCG, SFE, SIAL, SILC, SIRI, SONS, SQNS, STC, SWK, TKR, TROW, TWC, TWI, UA, UAL, UFS, UPS, USG, UTEK, VDSI, VIVO, VLY, VZ, WCC, WM, WYN, YNDX,ZMH
DNKN vs. ETF Alternatives
Dunkin Brands Group Inc is a franchisor of quick service restaurants serving hot and cold coffee and baked goods, as well as hard serve ice cream. The Company franchise restaurants under its Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins brands.
Other News & PR