Fri, Feb. 20, 9:52 PM
- Some false alarms earlier, but the AP reports (and union spokesmen and the PMA started confirming) that agreement has been reached with West Coast dockworkers.
- The deal would end a nine-month negotiation that has led to significant slowdowns at 29 West Coast U.S. ports. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez urged the PMA and union workers to come to agreement today.
- The contract still needs union ratification.
- Affected furniture stocks: RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCQB:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, GIII, SQBG, HBI, VRA, ICON, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, BONT, GES, URBN, RL,GIL, NKE, OXM, HBI, VNCE, PERY, ICON, FL.
- Previous coverage of the slowdown
Tue, Feb. 17, 12:53 PM
- The furniture market is seeing some disruption as the West Coast port slowdown continues.
- A stalled pace of imports is impacting wholesale pricing for companies relying on suppliers that ship to ports in California, Oregon, and Washington.
- Even companies without a heavy reliance on Asian imports are feeling a supply chain shock.
- Previously: West Coast port slowdown continues (Feb. 16 2015)
- Related stocks: RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCQB:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET.
Wed, Jan. 28, 12:44 PM
Tue, Jan. 27, 5:35 PM
Tue, Jan. 27, 5:12 PM| Comment!
Tue, Jan. 27, 4:59 PM| Comment!
Mon, Jan. 26, 5:35 PM
Nov. 20, 2014, 3:24 PM
- Home furnishing stocks stocks are in rally mode after Kirkland's (KIRK +22.9%) and Williams-Sonoma (WSM +8.3%) both top expectations.
- The development follows strong reports from Home Depot and Lowe's which also showed strong demand for home products.
- Gainers: Restoration Hardware (NYSE:RH) +6.4%, Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) +2.0%, Haverty Furniture (NYSE:HVT) +2.5%, Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY) +2.0%, Ethan Allen (NYSE:ETH) +2.9%.
Oct. 22, 2014, 9:57 AM
Oct. 21, 2014, 5:59 PM| Comment!
Oct. 20, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 23, 2014, 5:53 PM| Comment!
Jul. 22, 2014, 5:35 PM
- AF, AHL, AIZ, ALGT, ALSN, ANGI, ANGO, AVB, AWH, BDN, CA, CAKE, CCI, CHE, CLB, CLGX, CLW, CMRE, CRUS, CSGP, CTXS, EFX, EGHT, ETFC, ETH, FB, FFIV, FLS, FR, FTNT, GGG, GILD, HBI, HWAY, IBKC, ILMN, INFN, KALU, LHO, MAC, MKSI, MSA, NSR, NVEC, NXPI, OHI, OII, ORLY, PLCM, QCOM, QTM, RE, RJF, SFG, SGMO, SKX, SLG, SLM, SUSQ, T, TAL, TCBI, TER, TEX, TILE, TMK, TQNT, TRIP, TSCO, TYL, UMPQ, USTR, VAR, WFT
Jul. 17, 2014, 10:03 AM
- Shares of Ethan Allen (ETH -1.8%) are lower after Nomura chimes in on the furniture retailer with an ETH)+at+Neutral/9668041.html" target="_blank">uninspiring Neutral rating and $26 price target.
- The investment firm hasn't seen any quick benefits from Ethan Allen's strategic initiatives and remain cautious for the mid-term.
Jul. 15, 2014, 8:41 AM
- A decline in sales at furniture stores and home furnishing outlets (PIR, BBBY, LZB, ETH, RH, HVT, KIRK, WSM) dragged down retail sales during the month of June.
- The building material and garden equipment category (HD, LOW) was also weak.
- Perhaps a surprise, but sales at clothing stores outpaced other businesses during the month.
Jun. 11, 2014, 9:34 AM
- ICSC forecasts comparable-store sales for retail chains will increase by 3.5% Y/Y in June.
- The pace is slightly less than the snap-back from a slow Q1 that some analysts forecast.
- The read on June from the research firm is that wholesale clubs (WMT, COST, PSMT) and furniture stores (PIR, BBBY, LZB, ETH, RH, HVT, KIRK, WSM) showed "outstanding strength" for the first full week of the month.
- Related ETFs: IYK, UGE, SZK
ETH vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR